Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Prius Prices And Specs In Usa

agfs

Interesting difference in US and UK prices (divide $s by 1.6 to get £s, and add a US delivery charge (?)

see .......

http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/trims-p...mp;vehicle=null

Oh go on then... so the Prius V is a smidge over £17,000. Exclude their state sales tax mind.

And what do you get as standard that we don't with the TSpirit:

LED Headlight pack

Electric folding side mirrors - not even an option here, standard there.

UV reduction windsheild glass (never seen that mentioned in the UK).

JBL Speakers and 6 CD Changer (nope, not an option here either)

Clever stuff like Dynamic cruise control as an option.

Auto dimming rearview.

An we get IPA over them.

So costs £5000 more, but doesn't get half the stuff... yup, once again, we've been robbed.

Interesting difference in US and UK prices (divide $s by 1.6 to get £s, and add a US delivery charge (?)

see .......

http://www.toyota.com/prius-hybrid/trims-p...mp;vehicle=null

Oh go on then... so the Prius V is a smidge over £17,000. Exclude their state sales tax mind.

And what do you get as standard that we don't with the TSpirit:

LED Headlight pack

Electric folding side mirrors - not even an option here, standard there.

UV reduction windsheild glass (never seen that mentioned in the UK).

JBL Speakers and 6 CD Changer (nope, not an option here either)

Clever stuff like Dynamic cruise control as an option.

Auto dimming rearview.

An we get IPA over them.

So costs £5000 more, but doesn't get half the stuff... yup, once again, we've been robbed.

You forgot to mention that in the USA they still get an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid system, except in California, where it's 10 year/150,000. Here in the UK, it has been reduced to 5 year/60,000.

You forgot to mention that in the USA they still get an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty on the hybrid system, except in California, where it's 10 year/150,000. Here in the UK, it has been reduced to 5 year/60,000.

Thank you for mentioning that. Can not be mentioned often enough IMHO :o

the reason for the rduction in warranty is bacause of a VERY low failure / warranty rate on the prius brand, so thus negating the need for a long warranty period.

the official figure from tgb is 2% failure rate so i think that is as good a reason as any for reducing the warranty.

Also how many of the people who have just got theirs or are waiting for them are planning on keeping their cars for 5 + years anyway??

It's obviously a cause for concern for some, and been debated elsewhere...............

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=76985

the reason for the rduction in warranty is bacause of a VERY low failure / warranty rate on the prius brand, so thus negating the need for a long warranty period.

the official figure from tgb is 2% failure rate so i think that is as good a reason as any for reducing the warranty.

Sorry, but I personally see that as a pretty feeble reason. After all, if the above stats are true and an extended warranty is offered:

Upsides to the consumer

- more reassurance

- think they're getting something for nothing

Upsides to Toyota

- Customer reassured/happy

- next to no cost

Take it away, and you have buyers who are suspicious, and not reassured at next to the same cost.

Also, as I'm sure you're aware, if you're in the unlucky 2%.... you'll not be appreciative either.

And finally, we're making the assumption that all the revisions to gen3, are going to be just as reliable as the stats above. Perhaps toyota aren't quite as sure.

Also how many of the people who have just got theirs or are waiting for them are planning on keeping their cars for 5 + years anyway??

Again, don't see that as good either... as ever when you sell the length of the warranty raises the resale value. So now if you sell in Y4 or Y5, you'll essentially have fallen off the edge of a cliff with resale. The toyota salesman explained this to me quite annoyingly when I part ex'd my car... "because it doesn't have any manufacturer warranty, I can't sell it, can only auction it, and that'll make much less".

The same sales guy also told me the warranty was 8 years. I'm guessing he was just mistaken.

Your comments sound like a regurgitation of what Toyota sales are saying, and of course they have no reason to be biased have they? :)

To be honest I was very interested in the Prius and was on the verge of ordering one but the length of warranty put doubts in my mind ???

If the fault ratio is low why change it !! the cost saving would be very little but when you think about it Toyota are about to release over the next few years more and more models with this technology and perhaps they are planning long term with this move !! with eventually reducing to 3 years in line with other models

Myself I still think it is a mistake this is still new technology and people are still wary about it if they had kept the warranty the same they could have blown the competition out of the water ??

To be honest I was very interested in the Prius and was on the verge of ordering one but the length of warranty put doubts in my mind ???

If the fault ratio is low why change it !! the cost saving would be very little but when you think about it Toyota are about to release over the next few years more and more models with this technology and perhaps they are planning long term with this move !! with eventually reducing to 3 years in line with other models

Myself I still think it is a mistake this is still new technology and people are still wary about it if they had kept the warranty the same they could have blown the competition out of the water ??

It's NOT new technology though is it? It's an evolution of the technology in the Gen 2 Prius that's been available since 2004 with an excellent reliability record. Though 80% of the drive train is new, it's all evolutionary rather then revolutionary changes (e.g. making parts smaller and lighter etc).

Toyota Europe's stance on this (yep its a Euro wide change) is to bring the Prius in line with the Lexus hybrids that use the same hybrid technology. I would have preferred for the Lexus models to go the other way myself, but that's what they decided.

The warranty in the US is partly for legal reasons. Especially in the states were Toyota has to offer the even longer warranty.

IMHO it's just not worth comparing US prices to here. We pay more for everything for a variety of reasons, some of which are VAT, import duty, car tax etc etc. It's the same with TV's and other imported goods. When I visited one of the open days in early July we were told that Toyota GB played around for along time deciding on the specs for the 3 UK grades (T3, T4 & T Spirit). The over-riding aim was to keep the prices of the T3 and T Spirit the same which they did. This meant some items were dropped for cost reasons. This happenned in the US too - we have features like the HUD and mirrors with indicators that some US guys would love on their cars.

Well when compared to the standard petrol and diesel engine technology it is !! Citroen with there hydro suspension took many years before people found out it was reliable and during that time Citroen extended the warranty on it !!

Used car buyers are very conservative !! I know with all the problems diesels can have they are not problem free!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links