Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tickover Rattle

mick1020

Ive just noticed at the traffic lights when the car was ticking over there is a strange rattling noise coming from the engine and sounds like its coming through the front passenger footwell area . Ive checked the trim and plastics in that area and they seam solid . As soon as a press the clutch pedal down the rattle goes :huh: Anybody have any ideas what it could be ? Thanks all ,Micky .

Ive just noticed at the traffic lights when the car was ticking over there is a strange rattling noise coming from the engine and sounds like its coming through the front passenger footwell area . Ive checked the trim and plastics in that area and they seam solid . As soon as a press the clutch pedal down the rattle goes :huh: Anybody have any ideas what it could be ? Thanks all ,Micky .

mine dose the same thing try letin thew clutch pedal up slowly . think its the free play in the main gear box sharft ! it just rattles about a bit

Yeh mine does too.

Both the DMF and the gearbox have backlash by design but it is all taken up under load.

Don't worry!

Thats good to know that its not only mine , and theres a reason for it . My minds at rest now . Thanks :thumbsup:

+1 !

Mine sometimes sounds like a bag of spanners has been left on the engine block...Other days it is quieter. I deduced it must be the gearbox. I even had the gearbox oil changed... but that made no difference at all. Well, it did to me wallet ... not to the noise.

The good news is that I think that it is reversely proportional to the infamous 2nd gear problem. The looser the gearbox = the louder the noise = the easier it is to engage the 2nd gear...

+1 !

Mine sometimes sounds like a bag of spanners has been left on the engine block...Other days it is quieter. I deduced it must be the gearbox. I even had the gearbox oil changed... but that made no difference at all. Well, it did to me wallet ... not to the noise.

The good news is that I think that it is reversely proportional to the infamous 2nd gear problem. The looser the gearbox = the louder the noise = the easier it is to engage the 2nd gear...

Who changed your oil?

I hope they used the proper 75W and not 75W/90 which is commonly available. If the used the latter you woun't get gears when the weather goes cold :(

Who changed your oil?

I hope they used the proper 75W and not 75W/90 which is commonly available. If the used the latter you woun't get gears when the weather goes cold :(

I hope so too Anchs. It was a Toyota dealer that did it, so I am hoping it is ok. I instructed the change as I was told that Toyota changed the oil type/grade towards the end of 2008 (presumably to deal with 2nd gear thing / noisy gearbox issues, as it was mentioned in that context). So I wanted to make sure I got the new oil. Not a blinding bit of difference to the noise (that I can tell anyways).

sounds like the dreaded DMF to me,I could be wrong though

Usually wouldn't dream of disagreeing with people who clearly know more than me, but I'd be really surprised if it is. The noise has always been present, since I got it (at about 17k miles). My previous one (4.3 XT4) was quieter, but not completely quiet on the issue. There is a good post by Anchorman somewhere that explains the tolerances on the twin-shaft gearbox that made sense in this context. (Mind you, most of it made a nice whooshing sound as it went above me heid, obviously :) but the bit that I did retain made sense). That is (partially) where I extrapolated from that the "tighter" gearboxes make less niose, but make it harder to engage the 2nd gear. The other part being my previous RAV which was less noisy but really annoying on 2nd gear.

Of course, there is a good chance that I am wrong on this. little knowledge being a dangerous thing...n' all that. :)

I dont know much about the boxes either,lol,I didnt know they had this 2nd gear problem,ours is a good one then and as its the only Rav we've ever had I cant compare although I have drove a few with no gearbox issues but they have been 4.2's,havent had me hands on a 4.3 yet

I dont know much about the boxes either,lol,I didnt know they had this 2nd gear problem,ours is a good one then and as its the only Rav we've ever had I cant compare although I have drove a few with no gearbox issues but they have been 4.2's,havent had me hands on a 4.3 yet

No reported DMF issues on 2.2s yet HEMI. They all make this noise even from new.

2.2's,4.2's,???these numbers get confusing lol,I know what you mean,I/we havent had our mitts on a 4.3 yet,it takes a long time for us to get modern cars that are reliable,we get tons of 1-2 year old french sh1te,jap stuff are too reliable except for Nissan since they became Renault,we see a lot of Nissans and a few Mazda's(the Ford ones not the proper Mazda ones)it certainly says summat about proper jap cars

2.2's,4.2's,???these numbers get confusing lol,I know what you mean,I/we havent had our mitts on a 4.3 yet,it takes a long time for us to get modern cars that are reliable,we get tons of 1-2 year old french sh1te,jap stuff are too reliable except for Nissan since they became Renault,we see a lot of Nissans and a few Mazda's(the Ford ones not the proper Mazda ones)it certainly says summat about proper jap cars

Yes I agree, they are the masters of mass production. Tellies, or cars, they are excellent.