Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Audio Upgrade

steveybaby

Hello all,

I've got the standard audio package in my IQ2 (with Sat-nav and DAB radio) and whilst it is fine, it really suffers when you wind up volume.

Now, I'm not one of those that has the windows open whilst playing some wretched noise that sounds like a car alarm in pain but I do like volume and quality when playing some rock, blues or classical.

My question is, are the Speakers at fault because they were built to a price or is it the audio system itself?

Perhaps I should have gone for the audio upgrade but is it really that much of an improvement and if so, can it be retro fitted?

Has anybody upgraded their audio?

Thanks for reading.

I have the standard IQ2, and have no problems right up to full volume. :unsure:

Are you sure it's not a problem with the source? :unsure:

I listen to mainly 70's rock, Reggae and light opera, btw. :rolleyes:

I would get it looked at first if I were you.........

Hi Turniphead, thanks for the reply.

The music sounds fine at home and did in my previous car which is why I'm pointing the finger at the IQ audio.

I may drag a pair of KEFs down to the garage and hook them up to see how they fair - shame I haven't got the space in the car to carry them permanently!

Cheers.

Hi Turniphead, thanks for the reply.

The music sounds fine at home and did in my previous car which is why I'm pointing the finger at the IQ audio.

I may drag a pair of KEFs down to the garage and hook them up to see how they fair - shame I haven't got the space in the car to carry them permanently!

Cheers.

We run a standard iQ3 here - no issues with the standard audio system even at high volume, and no resonances noted. Recently tried a test with a variety of 'challenging' music (via a DAB Planet Rock source) and the Who, Steely Dan, and accoustic Bowie were faithfully reproduced (and enjoyed!). Maybe needs some more top and upper middle improvement, but being finicky. Only concern is the low sensitivity of the Aux input which seems to require the vol up full on the MP3 player to match level of radio / CD.

I went for JBL upgrade option, and sound WERE good but... When listened at high volume (35-40) as I usually do, interior covers of doors started to rattle because the higher bass output of JBL Speakers. I used settings bass +4, treble 0 and listen mainly 70´s rock due to my age (48). When asked reason for rattles from a dedicated auto HiFi shop, they said that every time door panels are opened, clips which keeps panels in place should renewed to keep panels in their places tightly. Panels were opened when upgrade were installed as I ordered... When complained to local Toyota representative they opened panels AGAIN, tried to put some insulation between panes and door metal, and after that when doors still rattled, they said that audio system is not made to listen THAT loud!! So I went back to audio shop, and they installed a Focal Bus 20 subwoofer under passenger seat (fixed it to seat so seat can be moved back-forth as normal without seeing subwoofer at any seat position). After that I returned bass setting to zero (0), and routed all low bass to Focal with its own volume control in middle consol behind hand brake. Result: no rattle, bass as much you like, and overall sound is EVEN better. With subwoofer´s own level adjustment you can easily adjust bass response to every recording you listen to. This not a commercial to Focal, because there are several manufacturers which make such subwoofers, just check that they have enough output. Perhaps standard audio system in iQ benefits this kind of "tuning" also...

This is my first posting, sorry that it came out so long!

I just love to listen to music while I´m driving (especially long distance) with my iPod touch 32Gb...

I do not have sat nav with iPod steering, playing just through AUX at iPod full volume ( aux is not very sensitive).

Greetigs from Finland!

FinniQ

• 2 weeks later...
I went for JBL upgrade option, and sound WERE good but... When listened at high volume (35-40) as I usually do, interior covers of doors started to rattle because the higher bass output of JBL speakers. I used settings bass +4, treble 0 and listen mainly 70´s rock due to my age (48). When asked reason for rattles from a dedicated auto HiFi shop, they said that every time door panels are opened, clips which keeps panels in place should renewed to keep panels in their places tightly. Panels were opened when upgrade were installed as I ordered... When complained to local Toyota representative they opened panels AGAIN, tried to put some insulation between panes and door metal, and after that when doors still rattled, they said that audio system is not made to listen THAT loud!! So I went back to audio shop, and they installed a Focal Bus 20 subwoofer under passenger seat (fixed it to seat so seat can be moved back-forth as normal without seeing subwoofer at any seat position). After that I returned bass setting to zero (0), and routed all low bass to Focal with its own volume control in middle consol behind hand brake. Result: no rattle, bass as much you like, and overall sound is EVEN better. With subwoofer´s own level adjustment you can easily adjust bass response to every recording you listen to. This not a commercial to Focal, because there are several manufacturers which make such subwoofers, just check that they have enough output. Perhaps standard audio system in iQ benefits this kind of "tuning" also...

This is my first posting, sorry that it came out so long!

I just love to listen to music while I´m driving (especially long distance) with my iPod touch 32Gb...

I do not have sat nav with iPod steering, playing just through AUX at iPod full volume ( aux is not very sensitive).

Greetigs from Finland!

FinniQ

High all,

I have the IQ2 with the standard sound system, i travel alot on the motorway so have my vav sounds set on around 35 to 45 volumn and have no complaints with the quality bass +2 and treble +1