Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fuel Consumption

djbenny1

Hey guys

I have an 04 f/l 1.6 corolla t3, I've had it almost a month now but I'm disappointed with the fuel consumption.

The trip computer says I am getting 31.3 mpg but my own calculations (using red light to red light mileage and litres of fuel put in) say I'm getting 32.5 MPG, pretty shocking IMO I was expecting at least 38.

I do have large wheels which you might say disrupt the counters but I have worked it out and the overall wheel/tyre circumferences are only 1% different so I'm ruling that out.

So basically what could be causing my low MPG?? I don't think it's my driving by the way, I have put my foot down the odd time but 90% of time is just normal driving.

Thanks

Seems pretty low to me. I get better than that from my T Sport (and I don't turn my air con off either).

Could possibly be an oxygen sensor problem. Have you got any lambda readings from a recent MOT or anything? If the sensor is buggered it can lead to the car over-fuelling.

Are your tyre pressures OK?

Brakes seizing on?

It just had MOT in July passed no problem. Yea that's what I was thinking it's around T Sport MPG...

What about oil and stuff would oil needing changed affect efficiency?? Car is at 62k but every service EXCEPT the most recent one (60k) was done by toyota. The 60k was done by an independant.

Any other ideas guys? I'm starting to worry incase something major is wrong because I REALLY can't afford to fix it :(

edit. What tyre pressures should I have?? Like I said I'm on 18s with 215x35 profile tyres

It could be your driving! :) not being funny, but when you get a new car it takes you a while to know how to drive it for both performance and economy.

Failing that, try cleaning the maf and do an ecu reset by disconnecting the Battery for a while. It wouldnt hurt

Im also having sort of the same problem with mine, as the MPG i get is similar to OP's, im thinking of using some fuel additive next time i fill up, to see if that helps, because it did on my previous cars. If that doesnt work, will also try some of the suggestions mentioned above

It could be your driving! :) not being funny, but when you get a new car it takes you a while to know how to drive it for both performance and economy.

Failing that, try cleaning the maf and do an ecu reset by disconnecting the battery for a while. It wouldnt hurt

oh i know, in my yaris TS it took a couple of months for my MPG to stay constant on the computer, but it didnt change by much

and i know myself that I am driving the car pretty easy - IMO at the very worst i should be getting 36-37 MPG allowing for my driving

does cleaning the MAF help??

Battery was detached a couple of weeks ago but i didnt touch the MAF, you think its worth cleaning?

any other ideas??

i just bought a 99 corolla 1.3 it got 70miles to a tenner. then i found all the tyres were at 14PSI

ill let you know how many i get off the next tenner lol

does cleaning the MAF help??

Should do if it needs cleaning. I'm sure I read somewhere on a forum they got better mpg once done. quickly googled 'clean maf mpg' to make sure I wasnt going mad and its full of success stories with various makes of car.

Bit of carb cleaner from Halfords, quick spray and see what happens. Might as well, doesnt take 5mins ;)

cheers ill give it a go ;)

checked my pressures btw; the back left tyre was 10 under the rest, so i put it up so they were all even.

just going by what it said on the tyre though, max pressure was 50 PSI theyre all around 45 now, with slightly more in the front.

50psi is far too high!!!

They should be around 32. The data is in the owners manual and on a sticker on the glovebox lid.

50psi is far too high!!!

They should be around 32.

agrees. i run mine at 30psi all round, and regularly check the tread wear, and it seems pretty even

is that not for the standard tyres tho? or does it not matter??

i knew 45 was very high i checked it 4 or 5 times to make sure it wasnt wrong lol

@Jase88: It must be a test of will power :lol:

High tire pressures are okay as long as it's not excessive; I'm running 40f/35b atm on my Yaris.

50's probably too high; That's approaching bicycle type pressure! :o

As I said on another thread, higher pressures is the poor man's low-friction tyre! :lol:

hey guys

update

i cleaned the MAF well, no effect, still at 31-32 MPG and after 60MPH efficiency drops pretty badly, it seems to be really drinking petrol at 80..

although i have to say, when i took the MAF out, there was the little glass bulb thing, and also there was a wire up in another little section, i couldnt reach the wire so i gave it a good spray and i cleaned the bulb as best i could using the spray and cotton buds until no dirt came off (not much came off in first place)

but the little bulb thing was a strange brown colour, almost like a coloured bulb would be - is this normal? as i automatically assumed it would be clear? the brown coating didnt seem to be dirt as like i said i couldnt remove it.

i also lowered the tyre pressures again - 37.5 front and 35 rear; rides a lot smoother but no effect on MPG.

what else could be wrong?? brakes seem fine.... how much is a new MAF sensor?

I'm in 2 minds now - keep the car / try and fix it - or sell it and cut my losses.

i really love the look of the car more than anything, and it drives great but its costing me an absolute fortune right now... i filled it up (£50) on monday and it will probably be on red light again at weekend if not before...

is 40MPG realistic?? i put my foot down occasionally and am around town / motorways regularly too. quoted figure is 40.4 IIRC

thanks

Sell it and get a T Sport ;)

I'm averaging around 34mpg at the minute :thumbsup:

(And that's with using Lift too! :lol: )

cant; insurance will rape me :( otherwise i would, theres one for sale quite close to me

I get about 23 out of my CTS... lol.

Though my warning lights keep coming on quite often, and I think it's over-fueling.

if im honest i do drive the corolla "enthusiastically" lol, but if i drove like a granny i would still probably only manage about 35-36.

i dont get how people get 34 out of their t sports tho, they driving like grannies? :s

i dont get how people get 34 out of their t sports tho, they driving like grannies? :s

Motorway miles, not over accelerating, knowing what gear to use :)

Downside to me is my Journey of a morning and end of work day is about miles. So not enougb proper time for the engine to do what it needs to.

Still.. I do get to Dabble in Lift ;)

Downside to me is my Journey of a morning and end of work day is about miles. So not enougb proper time for the engine to do what it needs to.

Still.. I do get to Dabble in Lift ;)

more like what you want it to do maybe?? :P :lol: