Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roof Rack

Johan007

Need more room in the Auris. Has anyone fitted one and where do I buy one? Need a big ugly box thingy to go on top of it :angry:

I have toyota original Roof Rack. Works good but there's only 90cm to install "things". Thule is better in this aspect.

When you have only roof racks it whistles from 60km/h, when something on it i don't hear anything

Dealer in Poland wants about 180-200 euros for original ones, so i bought used :P

My suggestion is go for Thule.

Not only I bought my (brand new, at store) cheaper than toyota's own solution (sold at dealer's for crazy load of money) but it is - in my opinion - more universal.

I have aluminium aero bars and on that I can fit a lot of different boxes, racks, mounts etc. I have 2 bike racks now, 1 big box and special mountings to fix skis in the box. Download catalogue from Thule to get an idea what you can do with that system. The quality is very good, mounting is very easy and you get a warranty for 5 years.

Another good thing - if you change your car you may leave everything to use on a new one. All you have to do is change the fixing feet (from the bars upwards everything remains).

Nice very cheap. Presume I need to buy two to fit a box. Do I need to buy Thule box or will any box do? Tule boxes are very expensive @£250!

Nice very cheap. Presume I need to buy two to fit a box. Do I need to buy Thule box or will any box do? Tule boxes are very expensive @£250!

Yup you need 2 roof bars to attach a box too, one front one back.

And as for roof bars you cant go wrong with Thule. More Expensive the others but worth it, well built and transferable if you ever want to change the car and keep the Roof Rack. As for roof boxes Thule again are good, Halfords also do semi decent boxes apparent. Never had one tho.

But I have had a number of thule racks and swear by them.

stick with the toyota ones. they look the part and fit perfectly.

i have ones for the 3door which are very well made and had a roof box for a 780mile round trip to france with no probs.

(was an old volvo long box which i modified to fit on my roof)

Nice very cheap.

I didn't write it was cheap. I wrote it was much cheaper (in my case) than original toyota ones. And much more versatile at the same time.

Of course you can buy sth for low price or sth sturdy and of good quality. The choice is yours.

• 2 weeks later...

Maximum load of Thule Roof Rack for Auris is only 40 kg including Roof Rack!! :ffs: See http://www.thule.com/upload/PDFs Fitting instructions/Kit/1440.pdf

Yes, that is what it says. I don't remember how much you can load on auris' roof (according to manual). Normally cars this size should take 40-70kgs.

But take 2 things into consideration here:

1) There is absolutely nothing you can fix the rack to. So - as you can see at the manual you linked to above - the feet just sits around the edge of the car. No matter how much you fasten them, it can only sustain given force. So, the load may be lower than in other cars (that either have some fixing points or some braces or whatever - had them in my punto, xantia, volvo). Also, Thule is definitely on the safe size - meaning, this is what you can load and NOT have any kind of trouble when you drive.

2) I have no idea what you want to put on this Roof Rack. If those are bricks or furniture you want to move, that is a problem. But the roof rack is perfect for stuff that does not fit in car (bike, skis) or is big in volume and takes up precious trunk space (which, as we all know, is on the small size in this car). 40 kgs is enough for 2-3 modern mountain bikes, skis + boots + sticks etc.), kids cart, sleeping bags, tent etc. All the heavy stuff like suitcases etc. you put in the trunk and problem's solved.

I don't know what is the maximum load of toyota's roof rack, but given it must have a similar fixing system I don't think it will be much higher. For me, those extra 40 kgs is enough. But if somebody has huge family and a lot of stuff to travel with I believe he made a wrong decision buying auris.

But if somebody has huge family and a lot of stuff to travel with I believe he made a wrong decision buying auris.
I only have the wife and an 10 month old... but yeah should I brought an estate but not an Avensis.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links