Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Airbag Removal Assistance

Garvensis

Hi

I am considering fitting cruise control to my Avensis 1.8 T3-s, but I need to check if the additional connection is present, behind the airbag module.

I have unscrewed both side fixing T30 Torx screws, but they do not come right out and seem to hamper the removel of the airbag - is this normal?

Any tips on how to remove the airbag module?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Hi

I am considering fitting cruise control to my Avensis 1.8 T3-s, but I need to check if the additional connection is present, behind the airbag module.

I have unscrewed both side fixing T30 Torx screws, but they do not come right out and seem to hamper the removel of the airbag - is this normal?

Regards

This is from a previous post

To remove the air bag you first need to disconnect the Battery. Wait a few mins (aprox 10mins) then remove the 2 torx screws on the side of the wheel. If the wheel has radio controls , they will need to be removed. The screws wont come right out but just far enough to remove the air bag. Once the air bag is out disconnect the yellow wire. by first pulling out the black clip in the middle of the connector. Place the air bag on the floor with the top side facing up. The horn wire that is prone to snapping is the wire going into the white multi plug. The wire snaps inside the plastic insulation and cant be see but some times you can feel the break through the insulation. Replace the wire soldering is necessary. Then plug back in the air bag refit to the steering wheel and reconnect the Battery last. Try the horn

Cheers

How did you get along with the pdf. file you downloaded earlier?

Were you able to open it?

All the information you need should be in it.

I could not open it.

I even sent it to my work, but when I got in, next morning, the e-mail had failed, as it was over 50MB.

I keep meaning to save it to a memory stick and bring it to work, but you know how it is, there is always somethinf]g else that causes me to forget.

I will go and save it right away. :-)

Hi

Regards

This is from a previous post

To remove the air bag you first need to disconnect the Battery. Wait a few mins (aprox 10mins) then remove the 2 torx screws on the side of the wheel. If the wheel has radio controls , they will need to be removed. The screws wont come right out but just far enough to remove the air bag. Once the air bag is out disconnect the yellow wire. by first pulling out the black clip in the middle of the connector. Place the air bag on the floor with the top side facing up. The horn wire that is prone to snapping is the wire going into the white multi plug. The wire snaps inside the plastic insulation and cant be see but some times you can feel the break through the insulation. Replace the wire soldering is necessary. Then plug back in the air bag refit to the steering wheel and reconnect the Battery last. Try the horn

Cheers

Thanks Marama

I have already taken the Torx screws out as far as they will come, but did not realise the radio controls had to come out before the airbag.

Do the controls just pull out, or are they screwed in as well?

I could not open it.

I even sent it to my work, but when I got in, next morning, the e-mail had failed, as it was over 50MB.

I keep meaning to save it to a memory stick and bring it to work, but you know how it is, there is always somethinf]g else that causes me to forget.

I will go and save it right away. :-)

Hi Gooli

I got the manual converted yesterday, all in pdf format - absolutely fantastic and it even has the airbag removal section (had to hunt for it, but got there in the end).

I am going to give it another try tomorrow, when it is daylight again.

Cheers for the link, it is going to come in handy, I am sure.

Best regards

Excellent :)

I got the airbag out this weekend, but no spare socket to connect the cruise control into.

I don't want to start messing about with the existing wiring until I know for certain that the 1.8 petol Avensis, like mine actually CAN be fitted with cruise, so any advice is welcomed.

I might find something in the download drawings, but if they are generic, I might still spend all this time and money, for nothing.

Any mkII Avensis experts - please advise.

Thanks

Nothing in the manuals indicate that any of the 1.8 litre models were fitted with cruise control,

only 2.0 and diesels,but I could be wrong...

Does any of you 1.8 owners have it fitted?

Nothing in the manuals indicate that any of the 1.8 litre models were fitted with cruise control,

I know it was fitted to the 2004 model, but not sure about the 2001-2003 model?

I have a Haynes manual up to 2003, will check it tomorrow & see if it mentions cruise control.

I know it was fitted to the 2004 model, but not sure about the 2001-2003 model?

I have a Haynes manual up to 2003, will check it tomorrow & see if it mentions cruise control.

Hi Marama 32

My one is a 2005, so if the cruise has been fitted to a 2004, 1.8 petrol, there is every possibility that I can still fit it to mine.

Things are starting to look up again.

Hi,

Your model is the Mk 3 not Mk 2. I've found out it was only available on the T-Spirit on the Mk3.

Read this link to a previous thread & hopefully it will help you

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lof...php/t47021.html

Cheershttp://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/style_images/1/folder_post_icons/icon1.gif

Hi Marama

I thought the mark 1 was up to 2003 and the mark 2 was from 2003 to 2008 - Can someone please verify what is correct?

Mine is a 2005 model and should therefore be a mark 2.

This is a copy of an excerpt from a review of the 2009 Avensis, I took off the net:

"You would be forgiven if you had missed the two previous generations of Toyota's Avensis."

Best regards

I thought exactly the same as you, but when looked today at work, it gave more Avensis mk's than I thought.

Of course now I'm home, I can't find the site.

Will keep looking for it, & post the link if I can find it.

Cheers,

Marama

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links