Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Petrol Vdiesel

MarkMark

Modern diesels are the dogs danglies I had 3 Astra diesel estates & vowed I'd never drive another diesel, then I had a 2.2 petrol Vectra much better than the old diesels, then vauxhall brought out a 1.9 150 bhp engine so I had a test drive & had one for 2 1/2 years, superb motor (maybe lacking a bit on reliability). Replaced the Vectra with a 2.2D4D T4 tourer, the Vectra had sports suspension & superb handling, the Avensis does not handle as well but the engine is nicer than the VX offering.

To sum it up, modern diesels beat the petrols hands down, the economy & mid range torque more than make up for any sluggish races off the lights

Modern diesels are the dogs danglies I had 3 Astra diesel estates & vowed I'd never drive another diesel, then I had a 2.2 petrol Vectra much better than the old diesels, then vauxhall brought out a 1.9 150 bhp engine so I had a test drive & had one for 2 1/2 years, superb motor (maybe lacking a bit on reliability). Replaced the Vectra with a 2.2D4D T4 tourer, the Vectra had sports suspension & superb handling, the Avensis does not handle as well but the engine is nicer than the VX offering.

To sum it up, modern diesels beat the petrols hands down, the economy & mid range torque more than make up for any sluggish races off the lights

What about servicing...is diesel more expensive

Don't buy a diesel if you do mainly town miles or less than 15 miles on average for each journey. You will end up with all kinds of problems from injectors, fuel pumps, clutch / dual mass flywheel problems, sticking EGR valves all which can set in on 30k + miles. All £300 - £1,200 to replace.

I'm not sure on servicing but i went from petrol to diesel and they servicing seems the same, i was prepared to pay more as i have the t180 but it was still cheap, in fact the price never seemed out of the ordinary on its services.

However i will say the new breed of petrol engines are pretty decent. I recently drove a few hundred miles in a 1.8 valematic "optimal drive" verso. It was mainly m-way and i got 45MPG!!! WOW i thought. My old supercharged corolla got about 22mpg and the old auris / avensis never got out of the 30's and the petrol rav's barely made the 30's.

I personally love the grunt of diesels, they are my preferred drive any day, unless they are dog slow, but for a lower miler, the newer petrols are a very very decent buy.

Never cared much for diesel engines, but with the petrol engine line up for the Avensis today or Toyota in Europe in general, the 2.2 D-cat seems most attractive. Unless they bring a performance oriented petrol engine, the D-cat would be my first choice

then vauxhall brought out a 1.9 150 bhp engine (maybe lacking a bit on reliability).

Probably because it's a Fiat engine that Vauxhall used.

then vauxhall brought out a 1.9 150 bhp engine (maybe lacking a bit on reliability).

Fiat? You mean Opel, right? After all a Vauxhall is an Opel under another name

Don't buy a diesel if you do mainly town miles or less than 15 miles on average for each journey. You will end up with all kinds of problems from injectors, fuel pumps, clutch / dual mass flywheel problems, sticking EGR valves all which can set in on 30k + miles. All £300 - £1,200 to replace.

I'm not sure on servicing but i went from petrol to diesel and they servicing seems the same, i was prepared to pay more as i have the t180 but it was still cheap, in fact the price never seemed out of the ordinary on its services.

However i will say the new breed of petrol engines are pretty decent. I recently drove a few hundred miles in a 1.8 valematic "optimal drive" verso. It was mainly m-way and i got 45MPG!!! WOW i thought. My old supercharged corolla got about 22mpg and the old auris / avensis never got out of the 30's and the petrol rav's barely made the 30's.

I personally love the grunt of diesels, they are my preferred drive any day, unless they are dog slow, but for a lower miler, the newer petrols are a very very decent buy.

I have a '55' plate 1.8 petrol, that always sits over 36mpg in the town centre and on the motorway, I regularly get between 47 and 53mpg!

Fiat? You mean Opel, right? After all a Vauxhall is an Opel under another name

No, Fiat. As is the 1.3 CDTi that Vauxhall/Opel use.

The most common JTD engine is the 1.9 L straight-4 found in the Fiat Punto, Doblò, Stilo and Croma.

Opel uses a version of this engine. Their CDTI engine, manufactured in Pratola Serra, Italy and Kaiserslautern, Germany is used in the Vectra, Signum, Astra, Zafira, Cadillac BLS and Suzuki SX4 as well as some Saabs marked as TiD and TTiD (twinturbo version).

I have not driven a diesel but have a petrol 2.0L, T-3X (04 plate). We have just completed a 1200 mile run from Oxford area to Scotland which included driving through Liverpool & Edinburgh, averaging over 44mpg. Careful driving on the the motorway at between 60 & 70 the computer gave 51mpg. Most of my past vehicles have been either Saabs or Volvos and none of them came anywhere near this level of economy.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links