Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Servicing

zen20

Hi all,

Just have a quick questions and need some suggestions and opinions. Is that time of the year when I will need to do my MOT and i thought as usual I will get my car serviced.

I usually change my oil filter, oil and air filter.

But this year apart from the usual service I do because I have had the car for 4 years and done 25k miles on it. I brought the car 2nd hand so the total age of the car is 8 years old now and total milage is 56k.

I was also thinking about doing more things such as flushing the cooling system fluids, brake fluids, clutch fluids and transmission fluids. And replacing all fluids

I don't know whether this will be a good idea, I have heard and read that you will need to change the fluids every 30k miles or 3 years. The manual also says the same thing however I am afraid if I change it something might go wrong and require fixing....

Any advice?

Thanks

I was also thinking about doing more things such as flushing the cooling system fluids, brake fluids, clutch fluids and transmission fluids. And replacing all fluids

I don't know whether this will be a good idea, I have heard and read that you will need to change the fluids every 30k miles or 3 years. The manual also says the same thing however I am afraid if I change it something might go wrong and require fixing....

Any advice?

The cooling fluid if pink is Toyota Long Life 10 year fluid. I would not change if it is still pink. If dirty change.

Brake fluids - change every 2 years!

Clutch fluid? I thought it was cable?

Transmission: should be every 60k miles. iI changed at 40k.

Toothed belt: inspect and change if any cracking.

brake fluid--------every two years

clutch fluid--------when dirty

coolant----------what colour is it red/green 30k pink------100k

toothed belt ie timing belt--------its not got one its a chain.

gear oil inspect/change--------40k

i can post a pic of a service sheet if req.

When I said "toothed belt" I meant it.

It drives the power steering pump and other ancillaries.

ah no - you didn't mean toothed belt, you meant grooved belt.

Its the ancillary drive belt. Belt driven camshafts are driven by toothed belts that are very diifferent beasts....

The grooved belt won't cause any damage even if it snaps, so no need for regular replacement.

Service guide will suggest regular inspection of the grooves and if you can see any damage to the grooves (mussing chunks or other rubber damage) then replace, otherwise leave it....

And its not a cable clutch - its a hydraulic clutch that shares the same fluid as the brakes - ideally bleed the new fluid through the clutch as and when the brake fluid is replaced every two years, but that's not critical because , unlike the brakes the clutch doesn't heat up the fluid (which is what causes the issue with old brake fluid)

When I said "toothed belt" I meant it.

It drives the power steering pump and other ancillaries.

nope toothed belt =timing belt

rib'd or grooved belt is for alt,p/s,a/c

:yahoo:

How about: Poly Vee Belt for alt/ps/ac and that the Yaris doesn't have a timing belt but has a chain, I think that is the point everyone is trying to make! Also as alfiejts points out the Yaris has a hydraulic clutch.

Thanks for the info guys

Brake fluid - I will need to change since it hasn't been changed for 4 years atleast...

Clutch fluid - Will probably have them to check the clutch fluid to see if needs changing. Can I check that myself?

Coolant - I am sure i haven't been using the Toyota brand coolant, I have been using the Halfords "advance". But will check the colour of coolant, think is pink colour still...

Transmission fluid - I don't think the previous owner have changed it so it will probably need changing. Will it be possible to check this myself?

For the Timing belt/chain - Might inspect later on since the manual stated to check at 100k

Ormi - Can you post the service sheet for me please? That would be great help, thank you

The clutch and brakes share the same fluid as alfiejts correctly points out, so if you change the brake fluid you're automatically doing them both ( don't forget to bleed the fluid from the clutch master cylinder as well) The transmission oil in the manual gearbox is quite easy to change but you will need a 24mm socket/spanner to undo the filler and drain plugs, you will also need new washers(aluminium gaskets) for both plugs,(approx £3 for both from Toyota) do not rely on reusing the old ones as they're bound to leak.

The clutch and brakes share the same fluid as alfiejts correctly points out, so if you change the brake fluid you're automatically doing them both ( don't forget to bleed the fluid from the clutch master cylinder as well) The transmission oil in the manual gearbox is quite easy to change but you will need a 24mm socket/spanner to undo the filler and drain plugs, you will also need new washers(aluminium gaskets) for both plugs,(approx £3 for both from Toyota) do not rely on reusing the old ones as they're bound to leak.

There is 2 plugs for the transmission oil I am assuming then. Just the washers needs changing not the plugs itself? Would I also need to get new washers if I were to change the brake fluids?

Thanks

Would I also need to get new washers if I were to change the brake fluids?

Thanks

I think if you need to ask a question like that it would be best and safest for you to get the brake/clutch fluid changed professionally......................If you are not fully sure of what you are doing it can be very dangerous to service such a safety critical system yourself. :eek:

Would I also need to get new washers if I were to change the brake fluids?

Thanks

I think if you need to ask a question like that it would be best and safest for you to get the brake/clutch fluid changed professionally......................If you are not fully sure of what you are doing it can be very dangerous to service such a safety critical system yourself. :eek:

Thanks for concern :) I wasn't going to do it myself because I have no confidence if I have to something this important to the car...

I was going to let my garage do the changing but is just that I prefer to buy all the parts and stuff myself so I won't have to run around to buy parts if the garage didn't have it...just kinda to save abit more time