Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Filter

tesa

Hi

New to the rav4 forum. I have purchased a 1994 rav4 to tow my boat and commute to work. It has a 1998 cc motor with automatic transmission.

I have noticed that it takes a long time compared to other cars for the oil light to go out first up in the morning or after it has not been used for a while.

I purchased an oil filter from toyota which I am told has an anti drain valve, but this filter did the same as the aftermarket filters

When the oil filter is removed it is empty. It must be that the filter has to be filled when the motor is started and this is what causes the oil ligh to stay on so long.

Some people have told me that this is normal for these engines as the filter is not mounted vertically under the motor

Is there a cure for this ???? Is it normal ??? will it do damage to the motor???

Any help appreciated

One other thing the rav seems noisy inside is this also normal

tesa

Welcome to the club.

There isn't really anything to stop the oil running back when the filter is inverted. Not all filters have a non return valve - some are bypass valves that allow unfiltered oil to circulate if the filter element becomes blocked.

Just wait for some other 4.1 owners to comment (I think it was mentioned fairly recently) but it is probably a matter of allowing it to idle until the light goes out.

Welcome to the club.

There isn't really anything to stop the oil running back when the filter is inverted. Not all filters have a non return valve - some are bypass valves that allow unfiltered oil to circulate if the filter element becomes blocked.

Just wait for some other 4.1 owners to comment (I think it was mentioned fairly recently) but it is probably a matter of allowing it to idle until the light goes out.

Hello

yes I ve also seen such engines with horizontal oil filters mounted -- it is understood that this filter is normally emtied after each engine stooppage.

DUring each starting up there is an time allowance to fill it up and criate normal oil pressure.

I hope this helps to the Author. Cheers/Igor

I guess you have the 1998 3SFE engine. I ran this til about 160,000 miles. And yes the oil light can take a little time to go out - just don't accelarate or rev the engine....letting it tick over is ok.

Make sure the oil level is kept topped up and keep an eye out for engine oil leaks as the crankshaft seal can lose oil.

Thanks all glad I am not the only one with this happening

Will do as you say

Thanks heaps

yes all is in order - -just wait some seconds unless this red alert will be OFF.

Cheers/Igor

Some engines do rattle when the light is on but are silenced when the light goes off.

Regarding the cabin noise, I noticed this when I got my Rav 4.1. This was especially apparent when I got back in my old car and was convinced the engine had stopped it was so quiet. I fixed this by buying some cheapy engine bay sound proofing from eBay. It has a sticky backing, a foam middle bit, and a foil surface. I cut it into smaller pieces to make a patchwork round all the gubbins on the bulkhead. It doesn't look very elegant but it does the job! I also found that the majority of the noise was coming through where the steering comes through from the cabin. Either the seal there is not very good, or mine is simply missing, but I put 3 layers of the sound proofing round this area, making sure it wouldn't foul anything, just to make sure. Now it's a really nice quiet car to drive. It seems like a much more expensive ride now!

My 2000 GXS with the 3FSE engine has had the same problem with taking a long time for oil light to go out and rattling until it does since I got it with 53,000 miles on the clock and it is still doing it at 85,000 mls.

I fitted an oil pressure gauge and pressure is still within manufacturers limits but when I start it after it's been sitting for a while I switch it off after it fires and then re-start it and this prevents the rattling as cold tickover is about 1600 RPM.

Might be hard on the starter motor but I thought replacing it was preferable to dismantling the engine to replace bearings, oil pump or whatever.

With a petrol engine you could easily rig an ignition cut off switch. That way you could crank the engine until the oil light goes off then flick the switch to start it. TBH it probably isn't doing much harm. I used to have Nissan Primeras and they rattle like a bag of pots until the oil light goes off - from new!

With a petrol engine you could easily rig an ignition cut off switch. That way you could crank the engine until the oil light goes off then flick the switch to start it. TBH it probably isn't doing much harm. I used to have Nissan Primeras and they rattle like a bag of pots until the oil light goes off - from new!

Thanks again for all the help

My rav doesnt rattle at all while the light is on I suppose that that is good

Will make sure that the light is off before I put it into gear when starting after sitting a while

I will look at putting some extra sound deadening around the firewall and check out the steering shaft bush as well

All this woyuld have been worse if i was the on;ly one experiencing the problem.

how come no one complained to toyota about the oil light when the vehicles were new. It seems nothing has been done to rectify the problem since the motor was designed. I am told this motor is used in the camry range as well

regards tesa

I was only asking about the rattle,then I was going to ask if it was a top end rattle which could be oil drainage from the camshafts/buckets etc.,if it was a heavier rattle then he's in trouble.I am aware that some cars do rattle on start up but in reality they shouldnt if they're used regularly.If the oil light is taking its time to go out then he may have oil pump problems around the corner