Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Morrison Biodiesel...

BarnyB

Has anyone used this stuff? I used to use 100% biodiesel but then my suppliers went out of business. It's not any cheaper than standard diesel but i would prefer to use bio if I can. Ecowarrior and all that...in a diesel :thumbsup:

It's only a 30% blend, but if your engine is working okay on 100% then it should be fine I'd have thought!

Did you have to do any mods to use biodiesel? I was tempted to, but I don't want to void the warranty, and I'm also not sure what other issues I might have to deal with (Corroded hoses, need to change fuel filter and engine oil etc. have all been mentioned! :o)

It's only a 30% blend, but if your engine is working okay on 100% then it should be fine I'd have thought!

Did you have to do any mods to use biodiesel? I was tempted to, but I don't want to void the warranty, and I'm also not sure what other issues I might have to deal with (Corroded hoses, need to change fuel filter and engine oil etc. have all been mentioned! :o)

Na, no mods, search my posts al lthe info's there but in summary, you just need to change the fuel filter after 2 full tanks.

Has anyone used this stuff? I used to use 100% biodiesel but then my suppliers went out of business. It's not any cheaper than standard diesel but i would prefer to use bio if I can. Ecowarrior and all that...in a diesel :thumbsup:

I used 100% Bio in a 1998 Mondeo, all was wonderful at first, then the fuel pump leaked, followed by the boost diaphragm, then the boost pipe, injectors... I wouldn't go near the stuff now!

I used 100% Bio in a 1998 Mondeo, all was wonderful at first, then the fuel pump leaked, followed by the boost diaphragm, then the boost pipe, injectors... I wouldn't go near the stuff now!

Hi Im using b80 currently in my d4d avensis have covered 60k miles on bio blends appoaching 100%. Also run a 200tdi and a freelander td4 on 100% and 80%.

Just change the filter after first 800miles ish.

My supplier went bust so am now making my own fuel 15p or less per litre thats 1.5/mile in my avensis. I am now for the first time collecting enough waste oil to up my % of bio towards 100% but even at 75% price per mile is 3.5p!

The major advantage other than the price is that making your own fuel means you are in charge of the quality, The fuel I used to buy was poor often.

Mods, One mod to solve a problem When the engine is warm no glowplug heat is applied by the ecu untill the engine is cold again, Cranking turns on the plugs, but I have an additional glowplug relay to turn on the glow plugs when I wish to, ie if the engine is close to cold.

When cranking the engine, fuel gets past the rings causing diesel in the oil, Diesel evaporates quickly but b100 wont.

I have used morrisons b30 and its much better than their diesel. The diesel blend ie 70% is top notch fuel. Shold get more mpg from morrisons b30 than normal derv.

The "High pressure" D4D diesel injection pumps should NOT use the types of fuel listed above, and from a warranty point of view, would not be supported should the unthinkable happen. This is what Toyota say

Toyota will support the use of Bio-Diesel (FAME) as a maximum 5% blend with “normal”

(mineral based) Diesel in vehicles produced after January 2003.

Bio Diesel used in Toyota vehicles must comply with EN14214 / EN590

I have a common position statement from most of the diesel pump manufacturers (Bosch, Denso, Delphi etc) that confirms the above. Your car MIGHT run on it but should the unthinkable happen when in warranty, you could be in for some expense should it be found that you dont run it on the correct fuel

Some of the issues you could get include injector coking, high viscosity at low temperatures causing pump seizures, impurities in the fuel causing injector nozzle wear/blockages, corrosive laquers and acids formed by poor quality additives and oxydisation

Sorry to be a killjoy but modern diesel engines work at very high pressures and good quality fuel is key to keeping them running in tip top condition

Kingo :thumbsup:

The "High pressure" D4D diesel injection pumps should NOT use the types of fuel listed above, and from a warranty point of view, would not be supported should the unthinkable happen. This is what Toyota say

Toyota will support the use of Bio-Diesel (FAME) as a maximum 5% blend with “normal”

(mineral based) Diesel in vehicles produced after January 2003.

Bio Diesel used in Toyota vehicles must comply with EN14214 / EN590

I have a common position statement from most of the diesel pump manufacturers (Bosch, Denso, Delphi etc) that confirms the above. Your car MIGHT run on it but should the unthinkable happen when in warranty, you could be in for some expense should it be found that you dont run it on the correct fuel

Some of the issues you could get include injector coking, high viscosity at low temperatures causing pump seizures, impurities in the fuel causing injector nozzle wear/blockages, corrosive laquers and acids formed by poor quality additives and oxydisation

Sorry to be a killjoy but modern diesel engines work at very high pressures and good quality fuel is key to keeping them running in tip top condition

Kingo :thumbsup:

Thank you Kingo This is a valid point Use alternative fuels at your own risk any warrenty you may have will be voided if the fuel in your car does not comply with the toyota statement above.

I for one am outside the 60k warrenty and with many miles covered at 3p/mile the car was paid for very quickly. Now it doesn't owe me anything, But while it keeps eating miles at 3p/mile I am very happily counting the pounds in the bank and reducing my co2 emmisions into the bargin. Think I may buy my daughter an Auris with the profits.

The biggest problem with the biofuels bissiness at present is the lack of quality control, if you buy it you take the risk, do you know its been made propery and is it winterised and cold filtered to 1 Micron? Do you know how to test it. and do you test each batch, etc.

D4D Driver.

PS Perhaps my cars reoccuring problem is due to the bio diesel I put in it!! (the key fob Battery goes flat, happened three times so far.) But joking aside no fuel related issues at all. So far and if I do I will let you know.

Right now, the best engines for biodiesel seem to be VW TDI's.

Have most pumps switched to 5% blends? I hear some european countries (Most notably France) have but I'm not sure of the status here. Supposedly the 5% acts like the sulphur that's removed in ULSD and saves them having to put in more expensive lubricating additives :)

The cost saving for Biodiesel seems depressingly absent tho', unless you make it yourself!