Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3sgte + Awd Conversion -> Toyota Sera

Jerds

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone could provide insight with my crazy idea. I'm considering transplanting a GT-4 engine into a Sera, and going the AWD conversion.

What exactly will be involved/troublesome? :huh:

I believe this is a unique idea, so any input would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Hope you've got a deep wallet and access to a first rate body shop. You'll probably need to cut out the rear floor of your car and graft in the rear floor from the GT4 so that you get the mountings for the diff and suspension mounts. After that you'll have to hope that your centre tunnel is big enough to clear the prop shaft, although I would have thought that Toyota would have used the same floorpan as the Celica so that should be ok. In my opinion if you want the GTE engine you'd be better off just going front wheel drive. Get yourself an MR2 turbo engine and gearbox and drop it straight in, much simpler and you won't get the power losses associated with 4 wheel drive systems. Just make sure that the gearbox has a limited slip diff otherwise the torque steer will be a killer.

i agree keep it FWD. looked at making the rolla 4WD but you'll have to change the fuel tank to make room for the prop shaft widen parts of the tunnel for the exhaust and prop. then you'll have to custom make the rear suspension, diff cradle,prop shaft etc.

by the way a fuel cell to replace the tank wil set you back about a grand

*nods*

I envisaged a few challenges would arise, but you've highlighted a few things that seem tough to deal with.

A project, but for years down the track, when more $ in the pocket.

Or I might just keep it FWD. :)

Thanks guys.

i agree keep it FWD. looked at making the rolla 4WD but you'll have to change the fuel tank to make room for the prop shaft widen parts of the tunnel for the exhaust and prop. then you'll have to custom make the rear suspension, diff cradle,prop shaft etc.

After hearing about Adrian's problems with the fuel tank in the Fensport Corolla then I would have to agree! Would be very impressive if you made it work tho. Bear in mind that the 3S-GTe is quite heavy tho, will affect your weight balance and handling...

Difficult - yes

Expensive - yes

Unique - yes

Flawed - yes!

The Sera has the 5E-FHE unit as standard - 1496cc 108bhp.

Because of the commonality of the E series engines, I've fitted the 4E-FTE from the Starlet Turbo into mine. It was quite easy and offers a big increase in performance, with only the weight of the turbo and intercooler and bonnet vent, so handling is not compromised.

I've heard of one person attempting a 20v 4AGE conversion, but no proof that its been done. I've heard rumours of a MR2 turbo engine being fitted upfront (front wheel drive rather than rear), but no proof of that either.

With the Starlet turbo engine in, there isn't much room for a bigger turbo without making a special a/c system or ditching it altogether, which in a Sera is not desirable because of all the glass.

There isn't much room to front mount the intercooler either.

If I was doing another engine conversion I would try a 4AGE 20v black top.

I would have thought that Toyota would have used the same floorpan as the Celica so that should be ok.

Why? Sera shares floorpan with Starlet.

4A-GE 20V in a sera would be a stonking idea!!!

Since the missus bought hers I've always thought about the 4A-GZE B)

Converting a sera to GT4 running gear would be quite a job, for the same impact i suggest a cheaper way-

Fitting butterfly doors to the GT4 !!!! :lol:

• 16 years later...
On 2/7/2004 at 7:44 PM, dawesy said:

16 years after. I was gathering information to convert the Corolla 1998 hatchback (WRC style) with a Celica GT4 AWD ST185. I heard that the ST205 won’t work for the job. I found the ST205 engine and the transmission IN THE US for a reasonable price but I didn’t find the rest of the essential parts needed for the chassis and rear wheel geometry. I spoke to people who owns a WRC replica but I didn’t speak to a single who did it himself. My mechanic asked me simple questions about how much work would be involved as he doesn’t know how different the two chassis are. Plus OEM parts are very expensive for instance the propeller axle costs $1400 and probably the wheelbase is different. Actually it is because I checked. This means that cutting and welding would be necessary in the front (engine mounts) and rear subframe. I heard that the shock absorber top chassis fit would have to be modified. Someone told me to buy a full GT four that costs at least €25,000 and do the conversion. This would raise the expenses to at least €40,000. This is why the mechanic conversion and body kit replica‘s are sold for about €50,000 and race ready versions with top shelf rally parts for at least €70k. Doing the job could be a business or just a dream car for a passionate rich person.