Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla Air Con Losing Gas

Tafia

Hi folks,

A couple of months ago we bought a 2005 Corolla T3 diesel. Runs great but has a gas leak in the air con system. Dealer re-gassed it and the output air was down to 6 degrees C for about a day then the gas leaked out again.

Dealer then re-gassed it with a dye in the system which should have revealed the source of the leak when checked with a UV light. Gas leaked out again so took it back for inspection with a UV light. No sign of the dye so the leak was not found though the dealer did change the valves on the high and low pressure pipes as one of them did show a faint sign of green dye though that may have been from when the dye was put in.

Gas has now leaked again. Are there any known faults with the Corolla system which may give a clue as to where to look for this leak. I have taken out the glove box which gives access to the evaporator behind the dash but still see no sign of the dye when lit with a small UV torch.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers

T

Hi folks,

A couple of months ago we bought a 2005 Corolla T3 diesel. Runs great but has a gas leak in the air con system. Dealer re-gassed it and the output air was down to 6 degrees C for about a day then the gas leaked out again.

Dealer then re-gassed it with a dye in the system which should have revealed the source of the leak when checked with a UV light. Gas leaked out again so took it back for inspection with a UV light. No sign of the dye so the leak was not found though the dealer did change the valves on the high and low pressure pipes as one of them did show a faint sign of green dye though that may have been from when the dye was put in.

Gas has now leaked again. Are there any known faults with the Corolla system which may give a clue as to where to look for this leak. I have taken out the glove box which gives access to the evaporator behind the dash but still see no sign of the dye when lit with a small UV torch.

Any ideas folks?

Cheers

T

hello Mate

I ve got several questions first, as follows:

- how did you determine that the gas has gone???

- has the dealer measured an exists gas internal pressure prior to re-gasing?

- are you sure the problem is with system leak???

Please note that the air con compressor has own solenoid valves mounted on its body and served as to either have the gas transfered thru a big circle (via condenser + evaporator etc) or to run as idle.. Another words -- when pushed a buttom (as A/C/ --ON)-- you just give a command to this solenoid valve to shift direction of gas tranfering. May be the problem is right connected with solenoid fault,, but yoou still deem the system has got a leak. As far as we ve caught you -- no leaks have been found !!!. Cheers/Igor

hello Mate

I ve got several questions first, as follows:

- how did you determine that the gas has gone???

- has the dealer measured an exists gas internal pressure prior to re-gasing?

- are you sure the problem is with system leak???

Please note that the air con compressor has own solenoid valves mounted on its body and served as to either have the gas transfered thru a big circle (via condenser + evaporator etc) or to run as idle.. Another words -- when pushed a buttom (as A/C/ --ON)-- you just give a command to this solenoid valve to shift direction of gas tranfering. May be the problem is right connected with solenoid fault,, but yoou still deem the system has got a leak. As far as we ve caught you -- no leaks have been found !!!. Cheers/Igor

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your reply.

We know the gas has gone because when the dealer checks it, there is some gas left but not enough to let the system work. After re-gassing it works OK for a day or two then stops working. If it was a solenoid problem, would that happen?

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.

T

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your reply.

We know the gas has gone because when the dealer checks it, there is some gas left but not enough to let the system work. After re-gassing it works OK for a day or two then stops working. If it was a solenoid problem, would that happen?

Thanks again for taking the trouble to reply.

T

hello again

the point is that no leaks have been found !!! and they have inspected front condenser????

for sure the leak might be from solenoid valfe gasket.

cheers/Igor

Seem to remember reading one like this before where the dealer couldn't find the leak. If I remember correctly, it was a pipe underneath the Battery or somewhere similarly tucked away, even so, it should be visible with the UV if you look properly. I will see if I can find that post and get back to you if I do.

UPDATE

Found it for you, here is the link to the page. Have a read on this one.

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...&hl=leaking

Seem to remember reading one like this before where the dealer couldn't find the leak. If I remember correctly, it was a pipe underneath the battery or somewhere similarly tucked away, even so, it should be visible with the UV if you look properly. I will see if I can find that post and get back to you if I do.

UPDATE

Many thanks QS. I see that model with the leak under the Battery was an Avensis but no doubt the layout is similar.

We have been back four times with this problem; last time they found traces of dye around the system filler valves so changed them both. Still leaked.

We are going again tomorrow so will show them your suggestion.

Will let you know how we get on.

Cheers

T.

Seem to remember reading one like this before where the dealer couldn't find the leak. If I remember correctly, it was a pipe underneath the battery or somewhere similarly tucked away, even so, it should be visible with the UV if you look properly. I will see if I can find that post and get back to you if I do.

UPDATE

Well folks,

The dealer had the car for three days. I showed him the advice in this forum and he found the leak in the low pressure pipe which passes under the Battery!!!!

I asked to see the pipe he removed and it appeared to have corroded; it showed pitting in a small area and he said that when he removed the Battery, he could see the dye!!!

When the new pipe had been fitted we went to collect the car and his service manager approached us with: "You can say no if you wish but as the pipe is not covered by the warranty we would like you to pay £100 for the part, we won't charge for 3 hours labour"

As all this has been done on a friendly basis, we agreed. So, problem hopefully solved.

Wonder if this is a common fault with Corollas'? I was surprised they were able to get the pipe so quickly as it was quite a complex bending job. Perhaps Toyota knew they would be needed!

If the dealers are reading this, Cheers Alan and Les and thanks to all who replied to my query.

UPDATE

Well folks,

The dealer had the car for three days. I showed him the advice in this forum and he found the leak in the low pressure pipe which passes under the Battery!!!!

I asked to see the pipe he removed and it appeared to have corroded; it showed pitting in a small area and he said that when he removed the Battery, he could see the dye!!!

When the new pipe had been fitted we went to collect the car and his service manager approached us with: "You can say no if you wish but as the pipe is not covered by the warranty we would like you to pay £100 for the part, we won't charge for 3 hours labour"

As all this has been done on a friendly basis, we agreed. So, problem hopefully solved.

Wonder if this is a common fault with Corollas'? I was surprised they were able to get the pipe so quickly as it was quite a complex bending job. Perhaps Toyota knew they would be needed!

If the dealers are reading this, Cheers Alan and Les and thanks to all who replied to my query.

Glad to hear you got it sorted, when using the dye to show leaks, it's a fairly simple task to check but you must check all the pipes and connections, not just the ones you can see easily. It's not rocket science, just need to be thorough and do the job right, first time. If there's a leak (and there obviously was) it needs to be found and not mess the customer about having to keep coming back every week or so.

As for the pipe, I think you will find it was in stock at the Toyota central parts distribution warehouse.

It's not unusual for A/C pipes to corrode/leak under the Battery tray, it happens with other makes too.

Regards, Q.S.

UPDATE

Well folks,

Glad to hear you got it sorted, when using the dye to show leaks, it's a fairly simple task to check but you must check all the pipes and connections, not just the ones you can see easily. It's not rocket science, just need to be thorough and do the job right, first time. If there's a leak (and there obviously was) it needs to be found and not mess the customer about having to keep coming back every week or so.

As for the pipe, I think you will find it was in stock at the Toyota central parts distribution warehouse.

It's not unusual for A/C pipes to corrode/leak under the Battery tray, it happens with other makes too.

Regards, Q.S.

Many thanks to all for your assistance.

Cheers

T.