Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should I Buy An Avensis?

Greg_K

Hi,

I’m thinking about buying an Avensis. It seems for about £7 to £8K I could get a 4/5 year-old one with 35k- 50k miles. I’ve recently had a nightmare with a Mondeo TDCI that had the flywheel/clutch problem (common on many diesels I’ve now discovered) quickly followed by a still unresolved fuel-pump/ ECU issue that’s set me back £2k+ and a month off the road. So now I’m doing my home-work to find a reliable ‘mile-muncher’ as I have a 90-mile round trip commute each day.

Anyway, the Avensis seems to fit the ‘unsexy-but-reliable-and-comfortable’ bill but the oil-burning problem and clutch issues mentioned on these boards are a concern. Are these problems restricted to older vehicles and how typical are they or could I soon get burned again? I’m now deeply sceptical of modern diesels after my Mondeo nightmare – I think too much effort has gone into making them ‘refined’ to compete with petrol engines only to have big problems as you near the 100k mark that can cost a fortune to diagnose and solve. Can I trust a diesel Avensis or should I stick to petrol (or even avoid the Avensis altogether)?

Thanks for any input

Greg

Hi,

I’m thinking about buying an Avensis. It seems for about £7 to £8K I could get a 4/5 year-old one with 35k- 50k miles. I’ve recently had a nightmare with a Mondeo TDCI that had the flywheel/clutch problem (common on many diesels I’ve now discovered) quickly followed by a still unresolved fuel-pump/ ECU issue that’s set me back £2k+ and a month off the road. So now I’m doing my home-work to find a reliable ‘mile-muncher’ as I have a 90-mile round trip commute each day.

Anyway, the Avensis seems to fit the ‘unsexy-but-reliable-and-comfortable’ bill but the oil-burning problem and clutch issues mentioned on these boards are a concern. Are these problems restricted to older vehicles and how typical are they or could I soon get burned again? I’m now deeply sceptical of modern diesels after my Mondeo nightmare – I think too much effort has gone into making them ‘refined’ to compete with petrol engines only to have big problems as you near the 100k mark that can cost a fortune to diagnose and solve. Can I trust a diesel Avensis or should I stick to petrol (or even avoid the Avensis altogether)?

Thanks for any input

Greg

Hello mate

i deem all guys will support my point of view that each car demands good care and each potential owner choses it deppending on where his/her soul looks at :)

You have to carefully read thru many pages on here and adopt decision what to buy. No comments more :) Good luck with your hunt.

Cheers/Igor

Don't automatically rule out a petrol. My 1.8 returns 45-53mpg on my daily 45 mile commute (I bet that's similar to your Mondy oil burner?). Even at 80mph it returns about 43mpg. They're cheaper to buy, quiter, the heater heats up quicker, and the expensive repairs associated with diesels (not necessarily Toyotas) aren't there.

I may be completely wrong on this one but I believe the 2-0 litre petrol engines were not effected by the oil burning issues !!

The 1-8litre petrol I think up to 2002-03 suffered the problems with oil burning and some were sorted out under warranty

the other problems which I am sure you have read about are steering racks and headlights holders melting in there holders !! all these should have been sorted out under warranty .

I think you need to carefully select the car you buy and be fussy!! try and find one with a full FSH they do make a comfortable reliable car but are not immune from problems

Don't automatically rule out a petrol. My 1.8 returns 45-53mpg on my daily 45 mile commute (I bet that's similar to your Mondy oil burner?). Even at 80mph it returns about 43mpg. They're cheaper to buy, quiter, the heater heats up quicker, and the expensive repairs associated with diesels (not necessarily Toyotas) aren't there.

Hi Greg

I totally agree with Alan333, as my 1.8 petrol also returns the exact same mpg, on a 40 mile trip.

The Toyota Badge also has a little of an advantage in the prestige stakes, over to the 'blue oval'.

If you do go for an Avensis, make sure you get the satnav disc and a second key, as neither of these are exactly cheap to buy later.

Happy hunting.

Hi Greg

I totally agree with Alan333, as my 1.8 petrol also returns the exact same mpg, on a 40 mile trip.

The Toyota Badge also has a little of an advantage in the prestige stakes, over to the 'blue oval'.

If you do go for an Avensis, make sure you get the satnav disc and a second key, as neither of these are exactly cheap to buy later.

Happy hunting.

I also agree with what has been said, concerning the 1.8 petrol. I bought mine in January 09. No problems, and i am very pleased with my first Toyota. I do agree most heartily with making sure the sat-nav disc, and second keys are with the car. I enquired about a disc, and was told it was £103.00 +vat !. They are a quality car, but like anything, they need looking after. Treat it right, and you will get it back.

Hi,

I’m thinking about buying an Avensis. It seems for about £7 to £8K I could get a 4/5 year-old one with 35k- 50k miles.

I would have thought that you could do better than that tbh going by prices at the tail of last year when I was looking for mine. Possibly s/h price have gone up since then though.

At 4-5 yrs old - then your in the new shape, T2 to T Spirit territory

I have 04 (53 plate) T3x Avensis.

I can honestly say, the only issue i have had is the lights going (the issue was the plastic on the bulb holders ageing, getting brittle then breaking, causing the whole shebang to melt) - sadly this was not done under warranty I'd missed that boat! However, this is about the only issue i have had with any of my Toyota's (had a Carina, and also got a Corolla)

However, it is as the others say a good honest mile muncher.

I chose a T3x - you get more toys than the T2 or T3s - but not a satnav (i have a tom-tomav).

The boot is simply huge (we have hardly ever had stuff in the cabin on holiday trips)

Loads of cabin space, more airbags than you can shake a stick at, dual zone air-con.

Was thinking of getting a new one - but belt tightening means i'll hang on to this one happily

I can honestly say, the only issue i have had is the lights going (the issue was the plastic on the bulb holders ageing, getting brittle then breaking, causing the whole shebang to melt) - sadly this was not done under warranty I'd missed that boat! However, this is about the only issue i have had with any of my Toyota's (had a Carina, and also got a Corolla)

I chose a T3x - you get more toys than the T2 or T3s - but not a satnav (i have a tom-tomav).

The boot is simply huge (we have hardly ever had stuff in the cabin on holiday trips)

Loads of cabin space, more airbags than you can shake a stick at, dual zone air-con.

Was thinking of getting a new one - but belt tightening means i'll hang on to this one happily

ive just put a deposit on a 2007 (07) 2.2.d4d t spirit and it was up for £8300. granted the miles are high at 80k but it has full toyota service history every 10 k main dealer stamped and was well looked after . drives like a dream picking it up next week when my plate transfer is done :D cant wait

Hi Greg,

I think on balance toyota's will prove more reliable than other makes and one has to appreciate that sofar the Japanese have the reliability stakes sewn up. I have a diesel avensis for the last 2 years and it has been good, and if u buy it from a main dealer you shuld have good comeback if there is a issue within the warranty period. I would certainly recommend them.

Cars to avoid...mmmm, Passats, Focus and all french ones.

Grape

ive just put a deposit on a 2007 (07) 2.2.d4d t spirit and it was up for £8300. granted the miles are high at 80k but it has full toyota service history every 10 k main dealer stamped and was well looked after . drives like a dream picking it up next week when my plate transfer is done :D cant wait

Great choice mate and a good price as values have been rising recently, it's the same as mine and I am very happy with it. Don't worry about the mileage as it may have done most of that on the motorway, unless it was a taxi (only joking) :lol: and with the full service history you should be fine, did you wangle any extra warranty out of the dealer or did you just get the balance of the 3 years.

Best of luck with it and keep us updated once you get it ..... regards Pete.

lol no not a taxi ha ha ha 1 company owner from new (longterm lease to 1 person ) i have all documentation for it including 4 speeding ticket notifications ha ha ha hope its not a sign of things to come :lol:

lol no not a taxi ha ha ha 1 company owner from new (longterm lease to 1 person ) i have all documentation for it including 4 speeding ticket notifications ha ha ha hope its not a sign of things to come :lol:

Taxi drivers do not tend to get there cars serviced at Toyota dealers :D

the taxi's round here are lucky to have an m.o.t

OOOh! handbags at dawn eh! Just wait 'til Cmia comes on later :yahoo:

Pete.

oh sh*t ive not made enemies already have i ?

no offence to taxi drivers lol

Congratulation! I drive 07 Tspirit, and have 50K (service two weeks ago...) I like the car, it is a mile muncher. :thumbsup:

So far, did not have any problems.

Twot

Taxi drivers do not tend to get there cars serviced at Toyota dealers :D

Yes they do if they own the car

an audi or bmw ?

what and be like the rest of the sheep !!!!!!!!

my boss has a bmw 320d m sport and i have to say its the most uncomfy car ive ever been in £28000 !!! i doubt it

and he had a audi a3 before that and it was always in the garage for one thing or another

not such a simple choice if you ask me

i have got a saab 93 convert until this weekend and ive had nothin but problems with this car, but the car before was a saab 93 saloon and was fantastic (should have kept that) lol but the avensis is in another world for comfort