Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Lubricated By Liquid Gold

Trialsrider

Hello

Just had my first service on my RAV 2.2 XTR and i am still reeling from the costs.

Total cost for service was £166.70 - but a breakdown of costs nearly gave me a breakdown.

5.9L of fully synthetic oil - £72.81 + vat !!!

Enviromental Protection charge/Consumables - £7.95 +vat (what the heck are these)

Screenwash - 89p+vat even though I made point of filling resevoir to top before I took car in (They must have drained out some screenwash to top it up with theirs.

Service manager told me he had left in the car a litre bottle of engine oil to top up if needed - didn't mention at the time that this was another £12.34 + on bill.

Excuse me while I go and lie down.

Hello

Just had my first service on my RAV 2.2 XTR and i am still reeling from the costs.

Total cost for service was £166.70 - but a breakdown of costs nearly gave me a breakdown.

Enviromental Protection charge/Consumables - £7.95 +vat (what the heck are these)

Screenwash - 89p+vat even though I made point of filling resevoir to top before I took car in (They must have drained out some screenwash to top it up with theirs.

Service manager told me he had left in the car a litre bottle of engine oil to top up if needed - didn't mention at the time that this was another £12.34 + on bill.

HI ,

Ive just checked my last sevice and i got charged for the 1 litre extra bottle too at £6 + VAT

The intrim service on mine was around the same price as yours £165.21.

They charged £35.40 + VAT for 5.9L fully synthetic oil in mine .

I think the price they charge is about standard for the intrim sevice :thumbsup:

You know what to do next time........

Either do it yourself as shown in the pinned section or buy the oil yourself and ask them to use that instead of their own.

In any case fully synthetic is not absolutely necessary and a little bit over the top. I use 5W/30 semi-synthetic and I know kingo recommends it. I buy from a local factor for about £16+VAT for 5 litres (£18.88+VAT for 5.9 litres). 3 tubs does 2 services and any topping up inbetween.

Hello

My T180 first service in April was £142 incl a full 5 litre can of 5w-30 oil as well as a 1 litre pack - as posted earlier I did ask for a discount when taking the car in and got it !

If you don't ask you don't get it !

The original price quoted was about the same as yours around £165

Guy

5W/30 is the recommended oil for your engine.

Interestingly, the new manual states that the 0W/40 oil is now the recommended oil for both 150 & 177 D-CAT engines :wacko:

5W/30 is the recommended oil for your engine.

Interestingly, the new manual states that the 0W/40 oil is now the recommended oil for both 150 & 177 D-CAT engines :wacko:

.............and yet the new data sheet for 2009 models shows 5W/30 for the non DPF models.

The bottom line is that 0W/40 can be used - it's all down to the ambient temperature range which in our country is fine. It is still perfectly acceptable to use the cheaper 5W/30.

Service_Data_Sheet.pdf

5.9L!! This is a lot f oil.

I always supply my own oil as I am fussy about this. It also works out cheaper.

that's about right for a full oil change on a 2.2 D-4D - at least it is on my Avensis.

that's about right for a full oil change on a 2.2 D-4D - at least it is on my Avensis.

how do u manage with the warranty if you do your own service ? id love 2 do it my self you know it done right then!

if toyota do it at least theres no !Removed! back if u get a problem? and the book is stamped!.

how do u manage with the warranty if you do your own service ? id love 2 do it my self you know it done right then!

if toyota do it at least theres no !Removed! back if u get a problem? and the book is stamped!.

If you read the first few pages of your warranty book you will see that Toyota will honour the warranty regardless of who does it as long as it is done as recommended in the service shedule. Nowthen! Changing the oil is quite easy off ramps and you can even get enough height if you di it off good blocks of wood (I have some 2 ft lengths of 12"X3" I use sometimes) and if you are like me I like to do it twice a year. You can do one of two things. I service my own in every respect and have negotiated with my dealer that he checks it over and charges me for stamping the book. A lot depends on how competant you are but you could do some and let them do the rest, i.e. you can change your oil and filter, air and cabin filter and just ask for a price to do the rest.

You are not tied to the dealer but my local one is very amenable to letting me do my own and they do any warranty work so have a chat and see what they say. If they won't try the next nearest.