Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Replacing 4.1 Handbrake Cables

aiberdonian

I'm replacing handbrake cables on 1999 3 door EX and am having a problem separating rear prop from central CV joint so that I can drop the petrol tank.

6 off cap screws are out and rear boot cover is away from CV outer housing, can anyone advise if the inner spider and rollers pulls out of the outer housing or if the complete CV joint comes away from the flange attached to the front prop ?

It looks as though the whole CV joint separates from the front flange but 10 years of salt spray could have welded them together.

I've got a bigger hammer and chisel but thought I would ask first.

Thanks.

I'm replacing handbrake cables on 1999 3 door EX and am having a problem separating rear prop from central CV joint so that I can drop the petrol tank.

6 off cap screws are out and rear boot cover is away from CV outer housing, can anyone advise if the inner spider and rollers pulls out of the outer housing or if the complete CV joint comes away from the flange attached to the front prop ?

It looks as though the whole CV joint separates from the front flange but 10 years of salt spray could have welded them together.

Thanks.

Crumbs - I did this 2-3 years ago...not the cables but removing the tank. Don't remember a cv coming apart - you mark the prop shaft at the flange so it goes back at the same position and the thing comes apart at the flange I think. I mind taking the centre bearing out but I was lucky cos the vearing had been replaced a year previous.

My info says you leave it connected in the centre and just undo the 2 centre bearing carrier bolts and drop it all in one. Is that not possible?

Thanks.

Crumbs - I did this 2-3 years ago...not the cables but removing the tank. Don't remember a cv coming apart - you mark the prop shaft at the flange so it goes back at the same position and the thing comes apart at the flange I think. I mind taking the centre bearing out but I was lucky cos the vearing had been replaced a year previous.

Cheers Bothy,

When you took out the centre bearing you must have had to take the flange off the end of the front prop, is the end of this flange cupped to take the center CV ?

The more I think about it, it has to be as there's about 1 1/8" of plain hole before you hit the threads and they wouldn't have wasted time counterboring if it was one piece.

I'll have another go tomorrow with the help of daylight as well as the pit-lamp.

Success, finally separated outer CV ring from recess in front prop flange with help of a bigger persuader.

It was well rusted up so I'll make sure there's plenty grease when I replace.

Anchorman, dropping the centre bearing support would have been an option but I'm working over a pit and would have had to replace some pit boards to support it and I can only access pit from the front of the car probably cracking my head every time I went in and out.

There was also the chance of disturbing the oil seal in the transfer box possibly leading to a leak.

All tank connections now undone but support bolts are a bit reluctant to come all the way out so an overnight soak with WD 40 now in progress.

Success, finally separated outer CV ring from recess in front prop flange with help of a bigger persuader.

It was well rusted up so I'll make sure there's plenty grease when I replace.

Anchorman, dropping the centre bearing support would have been an option but I'm working over a pit and would have had to replace some pit boards to support it and I can only access pit from the front of the car probably cracking my head every time I went in and out.

There was also the chance of disturbing the oil seal in the transfer box possibly leading to a leak.

All tank connections now undone but support bolts are a bit reluctant to come all the way out so an overnight soak with WD 40 now in progress.

:thumbsup: