Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Verso 2009 Daylight Sensor

Timo

Hello!

Had an Avensis T25 before I bought a new Verso this week. In the Avensis the sensor worked like a charm!

Now in the Verso it went on/off even when driving in sunshine in the middle of the day!

Went to the Toyota-dealer and we tested different settings and the best one was "dark2". But still, sometimes it dims the dash and its impossible to see the dials in the sunshine. Wrote a message to Toyota Europe and hope they will answer me soon.

Anyone else noticed this?

Regards,

Timo

• 3 weeks later...

Now checked with my Toyota dealer again and the same "problem" is occuring on the new Avensis aswell.

So, no problems with my sensor but hope Toyota will get an software update available to make it work better.

Cheers...

• 4 months later...
Hello!

Had an Avensis T25 before I bought a new Verso this week. In the Avensis the sensor worked like a charm!

Now in the Verso it went on/off even when driving in sunshine in the middle of the day!

Went to the Toyota-dealer and we tested different settings and the best one was "dark2". But still, sometimes it dims the dash and its impossible to see the dials in the sunshine. Wrote a message to Toyota Europe and hope they will answer me soon.

Regards,

Timo

The story continues...

Went to my dealer again today about this sensor because it started to get on my nerves more than enough!

Took a ride with another Verso with a lightsensor and it worked just fine. So tomorrow they'll take a look at it and probably change the sensor to a working one. So happy I got this sorted out.

Just to let you know they usually work well and its really a good option...

I'll be back tomorrow with last reply to this monologue ;)

I have seen this issue reported on another car forum for another manufacturer. In that case it was a badly aligned sensor (the one that sits at the top of the windscreen behind the rear view mirror).

I dont know if its the same thing or not but on my new IQ2 I dont like the sensor which turns on the lights automatically....should be when its darkish etc but have found that on dull days the lights were coming on and off all the time....very irritating to the extent I have now turned the option off. :rolleyes:

I dont know if its the same thing or not but on my new IQ2 I dont like the sensor which turns on the lights automatically....should be when its darkish etc but have found that on dull days the lights were coming on and off all the time....very irritating to the extent I have now turned the option off. :rolleyes:

Yes, and it shouldn't work like that. You should also take it to your dealer to check it. I was sure it could work better because I had it on my T25 Avensis before and was very pleased with it as I wrote earlier.

You can try the 4 other sensitivity-settings first and see if it gets any better...

Hello!

Regards,

Timo

The story continues...

Went to my dealer again today about this sensor because it started to get on my nerves more than enough!

Took a ride with another Verso with a lightsensor and it worked just fine. So tomorrow they'll take a look at it and probably change the sensor to a working one. So happy I got this sorted out.

Hi again!

They changed my sensor today but it made no difference. =( New service-time next wednesday! Hope they will find the problem.

Had another Verso today when my car was at service and again, light-sensor worked just fine...

Positive thing is that they made the gas-pedal recall service today so thats done at least =)

Hello!

Hi again!

They changed my sensor today but it made no difference. =( New service-time next wednesday! Hope they will find the problem.

Had another Verso today when my car was at service and again, light-sensor worked just fine...

Positive thing is that they made the gas-pedal recall service today so thats done at least =)

Sorry slightly offtopic question.

How do you like your car?

Hello!

Hi again!

Hi!

I like the car very much. Very pleased with the auto gearbox and the space inside. I have two children and I like the rear seats that you can slide and customize for your own needs. A lot better than the Avensis in this specific point of view.

It also feels very good to drive. I would say as close the new Avensis as you can come and it really feels smaller than it is.

Sporty? No, but still quick and stiff enough for me. Finally I think it looks much better than the Touran for an example...

Hello!

Hi again!

Hi!

I like the car very much. Very pleased with the auto gearbox and the space inside. I have two children and I like the rear seats that you can slide and customize for your own needs. A lot better than the Avensis in this specific point of view.

It also feels very good to drive. I would say as close the new Avensis as you can come and it really feels smaller than it is.

Sporty? No, but still quick and stiff enough for me. Finally I think it looks much better than the Touran for an example...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I've only had a chance to take a small test drive last summer but I also liked the car.

Verso is one option as my next car in two years. It's competing pretty closely with Peugeot 5008. There's not many new Versos here in Oulu. I've actually only seen one.

Hello!

Regards,

Timo

The story continues...

Hi again!

FINALLY! =D

They changed the sensor today and now it works just good! Last time they changed the auto dimming MIRROR because they THOUGHT the light sensor was in it!! That's why it didn't work after last service.

Hmm, I had to point out for them that the light sensor is located in the rain sensor and that has to be changed! =D

Get's me thinking when Toyota's own serviceman doesn't know where the parts are located on a TOYOTA!

After all I'm pleaced now when everything works again. And gas pedal fixed also.

A new inside rear-mirror also of course =D

Over and out...

FINALLY! =D

They changed the sensor today and now it works just good! Last time they changed the auto dimming MIRROR because they THOUGHT the light sensor was in it!! That's why it didn't work after last service.

Hmm, I had to point out for them that the light sensor is located in the rain sensor and that has to be changed! =D

Get's me thinking when Toyota's own serviceman doesn't know where the parts are located on a TOYOTA!

After all I'm pleaced now when everything works again. And gas pedal fixed also.

Over and out...

Nice to hear everything ok again.

The serviceman was partly correct. There is a light sensor on the back of autodimming mirror, only thing is that it's only for the mirror. The mirror compares the reading on the mirror surface to reading from the sensor on the backside. If the difference is big enough, the mirror dims. Of course the backside sensor also detects if it's dark or not. If not dark, there's no point in dimming the mirror :)

FINALLY! =D

Over and out...

Nice to hear everything ok again.

The serviceman was partly correct. There is a light sensor on the back of autodimming mirror, only thing is that it's only for the mirror. The mirror compares the reading on the mirror surface to reading from the sensor on the backside. If the difference is big enough, the mirror dims. Of course the backside sensor also detects if it's dark or not. If not dark, there's no point in dimming the mirror :)

Yeah, I did know that. But the serviceman apparently NOT! He said, "We have 4 sensors here so we have some to take a look at". =D

Then I corrected them ;)

Toyotas have had those sensors for years in many models so they are not new. Thought anyone at Toyota would have known this but I was wrong...

But anyway, good ending!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links