Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Avensis - Timing Belt / Reprogramming Key

itnchans

Hi All,

I own a Toyota Avensis estate 2.0 GLS, purchased back in April 2004. The previous owner changed the timing belt (01/10/2003 - 62472 miles), currently the mileage stands at around 104000 miles.

The mechanic says its time to change the timing belt, I just want to know when should I look at changing it.?

Secondly, I changed the Battery on one of my keys, I can only use it to lock the car and not open it. I have to use my spare key at the moment, does anyone have any suggestions on correcting this little hicup on the first key.

Regards

Hans

105tkm (60 000miles) / 5 years is the correct timing belt change interval.

If the remote button for door unlock works and door lock doesn't, it's probably broken. Changing the Battery doesn't reset anything on the key.

If the remote button for door unlock works and door lock doesn't, it's probably broken. Changing the battery doesn't reset anything on the key.

Hi Hati

Thanks for the reply, on the timing belt issue, i'm approaching 104000km mark, so will consider the issue of replacing it.

with regards to the key, pressing the unlock -does nothing what so ever, pressing lock work fine. Like you say could this be the issue of a broken key. If so what costs are we looking at to replace it.

If the remote button for door unlock works and door lock doesn't, it's probably broken. Changing the battery doesn't reset anything on the key.

Hi Hati

Thanks for the reply, on the timing belt issue, i'm approaching 104000km mark, so will consider the issue of replacing it.

with regards to the key, pressing the unlock -does nothing what so ever, pressing lock work fine. Like you say could this be the issue of a broken key. If so what costs are we looking at to replace it.

Try this:

Sit in drivers seat

1. Open drivers side door without the key in the ignition

2. Put key in ignition - turn from off to on, wait 10 sec

3. push lock or unlock button twice, you should hear the sound of the lock mechanism.

Both buttons should now work.