Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corrola Overheating

freebird

Can anyone help with a solution to this probelem - i.e: what could cause it?

My 1996 Corolla 1.3 is in the garage at the mo having an overhating problem sorted out. I first noticed it today when checking the oil - there was a large ammount of antifreeze and water around the bottom of the radiator (replaced 2 years ago), but little sign of it elsewhere.

A drive to the local garage to get it checked out resulted in a temp gauge reading off the clock.

The water pump dosent sound as though its failed (no screecing from the bearing at least!) and there is no obvious sign of a leak from a hose. also the rad appears to be undamaged.

Any ideas?

First thing to look at is the thermostat - they are not expensive but make sure you get a genuine Toyota one. I once tried one from Halfords that didn't work properly. After that find the elctric cooling fan switch ( there's one on my 4A-GZE at least) and disconnect it - the electric cooling fan behind the radiator should work when the switch is disconnected though this may not be the same on your engine. You might find that a Haynes manual is useful for locating these bits - I've got one the the Corolla before yours and the one after so not much help there sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
First thing to look at is the thermostat - they are not expensive but make sure you get a genuine Toyota one. I once tried one from Halfords that didn't work properly. After that find the elctric cooling fan switch ( there's one on my 4A-GZE at least) and disconnect it - the electric cooling fan behind the radiator should work when the switch is disconnected though this may not be the same on your engine. You might find that a Haynes manual is useful for locating these bits - I've got one the the Corolla before yours and the one after so not much help there sorry.

as said the thermostat does tend to fail on loads of cars including the ee101's....

the plug that is mentioned above is the little grey connector (flat connection, single-pin)...its roughly under the dizzy, if you get me..? plug it out, fan should come on.the fans tend to fail in these corolla's, had to replace 2 in 3.5 years....