Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gt4 Over Heating Killing Head Gaskits Wot 2 Do

toyotas'r'us

hi i have owned this car about 4 months now and it has been nothing but trouble, when i got the car i was told the car was a good one wot a loads of s**t that was, now i have a predicament what do i do now it owes me a lot of money which i know i will never see again!!! so do i do the head gaskit again and hope i can get some money back for it? or should i cut my loses and sell it for spares the car has about 11 months mot, and has some tax it has lots of good parts too many to list ahhhh wot do i do!!!!

does any one know why the car keeps killing the headgaskites i hear that it is a common fault with this car thanks for reading ps what would you do!!!!!

if its an ST-185 then yes the Headgasket is a weak spot.

ensure that the head is refaced and checked for level and rebuild using ARP head studs and a cometic metal headgasket. also check water pump and that the correct rad is fitted (should be around a 35mm thick core IIRC) as i have seen N/A rads fitted.

also check the bores on cyl 2&3 for signs of a crack. its more common on the ST-205 than 185 but still a possibility. with a craked block the symptoms are similar to a HG, but you will tend to only overheat on boost, the car will be absolutly fine off boost.

heres a pic of a bore crack

IM000023.jpg

ensure that the cooling system is flushed out and theres no debris in there and the rad is clear too.

if its an ST-185 then yes the Headgasket is a weak spot.

ensure that the head is refaced and checked for level and rebuild using ARP head studs and a cometic metal headgasket. also check water pump and that the correct rad is fitted (should be around a 35mm thick core IIRC) as i have seen N/A rads fitted.

also check the bores on cyl 2&3 for signs of a crack. its more common on the ST-205 than 185 but still a possibility. with a craked block the symptoms are similar to a HG, but you will tend to only overheat on boost, the car will be absolutly fine off boost.

heres a pic of a bore crack

IM000023.jpg

ensure that the cooling system is flushed out and theres no debris in there and the rad is clear too.

hi mate i hope there is no crack in the block. Do you know where i can get the cometic metal headgasket from and roughly how much it is? do you know roughly how much this car is worth once its done? and by any chance do you know of anywhere i can get engine managment check codes? thanks dan

you can do the code check yourself ( search on here or GT4OC for how to do it)

cometic gaskets are available here

not sure on price but if you ring performance unlimited they should be able to give you a quote.

hard to say as value depends on age, condition and mods, also if its a limited edition (carlos sainz, RC or in the case of the 205 a WRC) but you should be looking at between £2000-£3000 for a reasonable example.

you can do the code check yourself ( search on here or GT4OC for how to do it)

cometic gaskets are available here

not sure on price but if you ring performance unlimited they should be able to give you a quote.

hard to say as value depends on age, condition and mods, also if its a limited edition (carlos sainz, RC or in the case of the 205 a WRC) but you should be looking at between £2000-£3000 for a reasonable example.

thank you mate i will give them a try the car is a h reg inport st185 gt4 not rc thanks dan