Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great car but why so slow?

Spacemonkey

I don't understand. From the statistics that i can find on the web and in mags the corolla T-Sport has a powerfull engine but a comparitivly slow 0-60 time?

a good example taken from the satatistics on evo's website. http://www.evo.co.uk/news/evo_news_story.php?id=32186

MG ZR 160:

Engine Capicity:1796cc

BHP/RPM:158/7000

BHP/Ton:147

0-60:7.4s

Toyota Corolla T-Sport:

Engine Capicity:1796cc

BHP/RPM:189/7800

BHP/Ton:153

0-60:8.4

and there are many other cars like this with similar and smaller engines that have 1 or more seconds faster 0-60 times.

I understand that weight will have somthing to do with it but the BHP/Ton of the examples above are similar but the MG is much faster.

I think the 189 BHP figure is so high because of the massive RPM it is quoted at. This is obviously in the "lift" zone. So why cant this power be extended to the rest of the Rev range? Modify the control chip perhaps?

I dont know much about cars... please help.

thanks

Actually, Top Gear Tested Corolla TS

0-60 7.3 sec

0-62 7.8 sec

on slightly wet track... on the same track, Type R (which is supposed to be a lot faster) did 7.9 0-60, and 8.3 0-62....which only shows that TS would be even faster in perfect conditions (and that TS behaves much better in wet conditions than Type R)...

I know that some italian mags tested TS going 0-62 in 7.25 sec...

Also, if Toyota would only fit 30mm lowering springs (and maybe Spoiler pack) standard, they would silent down most of TS criticism....

I read in a Jap car magazie, that there is a chip, already fitted to some TS's over there, which give as much as 225 bhp now that would be nice, if you fitted the lowering springs and some 18" wheels.

:o

Hi peeps,

There is a company which does ECU re-maps here in the Uk. i'm told nobody will make a chip as the factory Toyota chips are so good. Anyway they can up power to 230bhp, it also up's torque and brings the power in at 4500rpm, this in turn brings the 0-60 time down to the low 6's. A friend of mine has already had it done and says it is now awsome. I plan to have mine done soon along with lowering springs, either 17 or 18inch wheels, induction kit and back box. Can't wait. Going to the international motor sport show at the NEC on the 11th to see if I can get any bargains. Cheers.

Hi all,

The details are a little sketchy at the moment as I haven't spoken to the chap first hand, but when I do I will confirm these details. The company is called Toyo Performance and it is located in Nottingham on the Castle industrial estate. The price of the re-map is £350. They can up power to 230bhp but recommended that he had the clutch upgraded for anything more. Apparently it took about 20mins on a rolling round with only a lap top. (I've also seen this done at work). If he ever wants it putting back to standard they will do it for £30. The cam profile changes at a far more useable 4500rpm which brings the 0-60 time right down and the needle goes right off the clock at the other end!!!!!! I've contacted a load of other companies but nobody does anything yet. I'm told that there is a company in Derby which can also do the re-map but I don't have any details yet, if I hear anything I'll let you know. Would any of you be interested in the re-map? maybe we could get a good discount if we made a group purchase. Let me know peeps. Cheers:D

Hi exon,

Sorry but I don't have a web address, but I'm trying to establish how many people are interested so that I can see if its possible to get a decent discount for a group purchase. Let me know, cheers

Would I be able to Re-map the stock ECU and be able to switch it anytime I want to put the super charger of blitz if it's own chip specially mapped for the supercharger interaction's with the engine?

I dont think S/C has much to do with ECU mods... it will simply be set to turn on at low revs anyway, and modding your ECU will only be extra gain

Hungarian mag tested TS, Type-R and Stilo Abarth. Here's the results they got:

TS:

194,6 KM @ 7500 rpm

Torque 188,2 Nm @7000 rpm

Accel: 7.4 s (factory data 8.4)

Type-R

Accel: 7.4 (6.8)

Abarth

Accel: 9.6 (8.3)

• 1 month later...

At a guess the reason for quoting 8.4 is to justify the price of the celica TS being bout £5,000 more. it would not look good if you could get a car that goes faster (on paper) with a £5,000 discount.

I wounder how many other manifactures miss-quote by over a second ??

well, Celica TS is actually faster than Corolla TS - if anything, they use the same engine, and Celica is a bit lighter (around 70-80 kg's), which makes it faster... not a lot, but faster

• 2 weeks later...

hello toyota lovers :P I'm new and i don''t speak english very well so sorry for that. I often read this forum because i have an Yaris t sport and i enjoy reading opinions about this car and others t sports like the Corolla and the celica.

Some days ago i bought an corolla t sport and before i bought it i had some testdrives with the leon topsport :D and the stilo abarth (the stilo was regarding performance the lesser of the three!).

i must say the leon is a real performance car, i must admit he was tuned to 232 hp and in no way the corolla and stylo could even come close to this performance. But i decided to buy the corolla because the whole package of the Corolla is in my opinion more suitable for me :P

i was surprised to read that the performance given by toyota about his 0-62 mph was what conservative and that some ppl claime they have a much better perfomance realised but i find this very hard to believe. It would be very nice i admit, that his power would translate in a more competitive performance with ie the focus st170 or the honda civic type R but i must still read one review what understates this. Topgear reviewed the corolla t-sport and came with an 0-60 of 8.0 sec what would probably translate in 0-62 of 8.4 sec . A dutch site came to 8.5 sec some others 8.3 and 8.7 secs, maybe he isn't the fastest but i surely can't wait the moment when get my own corolla t sport!!

if you would read my post from above:

"Actually, Top Gear Tested Corolla TS

0-60 7.3 sec

0-62 7.8 sec

on slightly wet track... on the same track, Type R (which is supposed to be a lot faster) did 7.9 0-60, and 8.3 0-62....which only shows that TS would be even faster in perfect conditions (and that TS behaves much better in wet conditions than Type R)... "

so acutally Top gear says that TS is faster than Type R in slightly wet conditions... and if they had tested it 7.8 sec in wet conditions, it can be only faster in dry

In Poland we sometimes do 1/4 mile races. Last time I raced with Toyota MR2, sligtly modded. Its 0-62 is 6,7s (measured on g-tech pro). Of course I lost 0-62 by 1 car length, then at 400 m I was ony 1/2 car behind him and at 124 mph I was 2 cars ahead of him. Mind I was on winter tyres, TRC on (with off I even lost to a 6 years old Civic 130 hp - but thats tyres), CTS is FWD and MR2 is RWD. I'm working on smooth and quick gear change and on 1st of May we have a racetrack meeting (sponsored by Toyota - isn't it great :) ). There we'll clock my stock CTS on g-tech pro and will see what comes out. I'm pretty sure my accel will be in mid 7s and 400m mid 15s.

• 2 weeks later...

I know BBR do a chip for the older Toyota's, I've contacted them in regard to my lovely, wonderful, amazing Corolla Gti16. They claim a 10% increase in Bhp and torque, so around an extra 20 brake. They are direct replacement chips so are therefore easier to fit than a re-mappable one? But have the downside of if they don't produce what they claim to then theres no real way of changing it. They are fairly cheap at around £150-£160.

Hope this,

Riddles

also celica ts has diefferent final ratio (i think shorter) and this can play a role in the measurements

Simple guys.

this is how I made the TS to run mid and low 14's

c-one cross mission close ratio gear set + trd lsd + trd header + unrdx pulleys + toda R flywheel+ Injen cai = 0-60@6.1 = 1/4@14.8 (100+ degrees track) xtremelly hot day!!!

my timming @ night is around 14.3 + drag radials. all this with a totally normal aspirated engine! and with a couple of ajustments with the SAFC I could hit the 14 flat..........

David

Hey black rat,

could you please explain what all that stuff is and does for people who know little about cars. Also how much it costs and how easy it is to fit?

Thanks

Jamie