Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Exhaust On Bumper

KPARRIS-JONES

Hi all,

I have an Ashley Cat-Back system, and I love the look of it and am infinitly pleased with how it look on the car in its position, but I don't know if it's safe where it is.

If you look, you'll see that the tips are touching the rear bumper, which I'm worried about because I obviously don't want to go melting the bumper!

exhaustofferingupandprogress007.jpg

exhaustofferingupandprogress005.jpg

Is it safe the way it is, or do I need to cut the bumper a little bit?

Thanks in advance for replies and advice,

Kynan Parris-Jones

why not get a longer exhuats rubber just to lower it 10 mm i did that on my old car works a treat just take it off the car take yours down to a garrage and say i want that but slightly longer ,

I had this on my mk2 golf, had to do something as it melted the plastic which A-stinks and B-sticks to the chrome tailpipes.

I guess extending the recess will be ok as you already have a recess in the bumper. :yahoo:

I guess extending the recess will be ok as you already have a recess in the bumper. :yahoo:

Extending the recess in the bumper will weaken the bumper as the existing recess is contoured for strength and rigidity.

I would favour an exhaust heat shield trim to protect the bumper...........or lowering the tailpipes slightly if possible......(A combination of both would be ideal) :thumbsup:

What about an exhaust heat shield trim?

Sounds like a decent idea, but aren't they asses to fit?

why not get a longer exhuats rubber just to lower it 10 mm i did that on my old car works a treat just take it off the car take yours down to a garrage and say i want that but slightly longer ,

That would be a good solution if the car were to stay the way it is, but I'm going to be lowering it by 50mm+ and anything that increases the chance of scraping the exhuast with coilovers is a nono for me :lol:

I had this on my mk2 golf, had to do something as it melted the plastic which A-stinks and B-sticks to the chrome tailpipes.

I don't want to go to too much trouble to solve a small problem, but thanks for the help mate. I'm with RY on this one.

I guess that as a conclusion, Norfolk is right, I'll get a heatshield trim but I have three questions; A Where can I get one that will fit?, B How much are they?, C How hard are they to fit?

Thanks for all the help,

KP

My one was touching and melted my bumper :( not sure how much heat the 4age engine produces but the 4agze gets very hot some times and plus my one kicks out flames which don’t help lol

its best if you cut the bumper a little so it don’t touch :thumbsup:

Thing is, cutting the bumper can make it look ******* and I definitly don't want that seeing as its hard enough to stop the car looking like a chav-mobile.

I definitly prefer the idea of a heatshiled trim, but I don't know where to get them from.

Thanks

exhaust pipes look nice what size are they k?

i would just get a different rubber mount which is slightly longer so that the exhaust sits a tad lower.

A heatshield is going to be stuck on the bumper and may look a bit weird. get the mount andlower it maybe 2-3mm and it should look good and oem without sticking a heatshield on.

exhaust pipes look nice what size are they k?

i would just get a different rubber mount which is slightly longer so that the exhaust sits a tad lower.

A heatshield is going to be stuck on the bumper and may look a bit weird. get the mount andlower it maybe 2-3mm and it should look good and oem without sticking a heatshield on.

Cheers mate, the pipes are twin 2" , whole Cat-Back from Ashley for £202

My main concern with new mounts is that its VERY awkward to get off and on again, I spent 2 hours just getting the old exhaust off......

I don't think that a shield would look too bad. I was thinking of getting one off an MG.

Have found some shiny metal in the schools art room, have taken it and will cut it to shape, to fit on the bumper as a heatshield trim. I'll get pics up if I even get time to carry out this solution..... :)

Thanks for the help and advice,

KP

yea, well then again ur exhaust sits nice and flush in ur bumper. Put the headshield only on the underside it should look sweet. Hmm those rubber mounts are a bugger but its still a good idea. Normally an exhaust place wont charge more then £5 to change it if u have trouble doing it yourself.

But yea get the heatshield wise option. 2" HMM i like the size of the tail pipes and style.

yea, well then again ur exhaust sits nice and flush in ur bumper. Put the headshield only on the underside it should look sweet. Hmm those rubber mounts are a bugger but its still a good idea. Normally an exhaust place wont charge more then £5 to change it if u have trouble doing it yourself.

But yea get the heatshield wise option. 2" HMM i like the size of the tail pipes and style.

Thanks mate, I love em to bits myself lol

I may get new mounts of the heatshield fails, but for now, I don't mind cutting up the metal to fit. I can do the exhaust mounts myself, but I wanted to keep costs down and in all honesty I can be bothered to go to the hassle of taking it off! :lol:

I think exhaust heatsheilds look super chav because, like you said, they have them on MGs!

Just lower the exhaust a tad, they arent that hard to do, especially with plently of WD40!

im guessing it was a big bumper version.

My mate had the same kinda issue on his polo. he used a high temp rubber to stop it melting and splitting the bumper from the tips, dunno if they are still around?

I think exhaust heatsheilds look super chav because, like you said, they have them on MGs!

Just lower the exhaust a tad, they arent that hard to do, especially with plently of WD40!

I will do what Farhan said; I'll just secure it under-neath the bumper where the exhaust touches. I have nuts and bolts that will do it just fine. But will still need to take off exhaust! :(

I'll do a little step-by-step if that would prove useful to anyone. :)

Cheers

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links