Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ragin Found Out My Car Is A Cat C Write Off

justinsyaris

were do i go from here any1 know

i bought it and went home seen the ad on the telly txt the reg to 83600 and did.

shocked to wot i got back i phoned them and they said its written off and has to go to vosa for a vic check ?????

wish i had checked it earlier lol thinkin on goin back round to see this wee guy

Just did mine;

6 owners

No colour changes

No stolen Record

Not scrapped :rolleyes:

No record of total loss claim

Pleased. :D

Sorry to hear about yours mate.

were do i go from here any1 know

i bought it and went home seen the ad on the telly txt the reg to 83600 and did.

shocked to wot i got back i phoned them and they said its written off and has to go to vosa for a vic check ?????

wish i had checked it earlier lol thinkin on goin back round to see this wee guy

When did you buy it?

I'd have a word with your local Trading Standards office ;)

Who did you buy it from?

If it was a private sale - it's sold as seen.

If it was a dealer - you should speak to them.

(and please check your spelling, it makes your post hard to read. If you can't be bothered to type properly, why should we be bothered to reply?)

Who did you buy it from?

If it was a private sale - it's sold as seen.

If it was a dealer - you should speak to them.

(and please check your spelling, it makes your post hard to read. If you can't be bothered to type properly, why should we be bothered to reply?)

If it was a private sale.. he sold it KNOWING this... it's not something that jsut happend before he sold it...

So sold as seen and sold with a KNOW fault being a wrtite off... That's ilegal and the police should be involved....

Who says they knew about it?

They don't have any legal obligation to tell you, but if you ask they are not allowed to knowingly lie. (same goes for dealers too).

Did they ask if it was a write off?

If it was cat C before the prev owner bought it, they may not have known themselves.

I think with private sales you'll have zero comeback. It's up to you to check before you buy.

Buyer beware.

On another note... did your insurance company not mention this when you insured it???

Which is why I didn't bother!!!

I got my car HPi/Total loss cleared before I even went to look at it...

no insurnce never said anything donty think they check it till a claim hits, na he never said he was about 65 never thought he would of had me, phoned him and he said he never knew likly story lol

contacted trading standerds nuffin they can do either basicly its on my back to check gutted so need to book it in to vosa now for a 40 pound check,

might try and sell it on and reg it as a cat c loss and try and get some money back

A cat C, will mean about a 50~60% hit in price.

I'd just drive it. The longer you keep it, the less you'll loose.

If you keep it till it's only worth £1000, you'll only have lost £500 when you come to sell.

no insurnce never said anything donty think they check it till a claim hits,

They do the same checks as your text message.... insurance companies will always check the history of any car they insure, try phoning your insurers and ask...

yeah i phoned the insurance they will quote u on any car but they only check the vehicles history at point of claim to process the claim and

tht came out the donkeys mouth

I'd just drive it. The longer you keep it, the less you'll loose.

Exactly. As long as the car is safe (has MOT, for instance) then there is no problem. Cat C means it was damaged badly enough for it to be uneconomical to repair, that's all. On an old car, that could be relatively minor bodywork damage.

It doesn't mean a repair would be impossible or dangerous. Somebody may well have bought it cheaply and then had it repaired.

As long as you enjoy driving it, no problem.

Paul.

Buyer beware.

My thoughts as well :thumbsup:

There are so many of these companies springing up to check the history of a car, anyone must be mad to part with £1000’s of hard earned pounds without doing a background check.

Category C is the heaviest of damage that is allowed back on the public road, it means the vehicle has been extensively damaged, you should contact your own insurer before purchasing the vehicle, as a lot of insurers won't insure a Cat C, and of the ones that do, they normally ask for an independent engineers report, also vehicles which have been written off as a Cat C since April 2003, are required by law to undergo a VIC test, this is an identity check, which would be carried out by a VOSA garage, this has to be done before DVLA will issue a V5 in a new keepers name.

And for just £3... Ouch...! :crybaby:

....(and please check your spelling, it makes your post hard to read. If you can't be bothered to type properly, why should we be bothered to reply?)

I got lost on his second post :wacko: What damn awful grammar.... stupid text speak is killing our wonderful English language :(

Unlucky mate!

Hopefully your slight misfortune will teach others that if you're buying a 2nd hand car, no matter what the seller says, always get a HPI check done. Will save you loads of time, money and hassle in the long run and like Reece says, for £3, it's less bank-breaking than the hit on selling a Cat C car on....

no insurnce never said anything donty think they check it till a claim hits,

They do the same checks as your text message.... insurance companies will always check the history of any car they insure, try phoning your insurers and ask...

Not true.

It is YOUR duty to inform the insurance company if it is a CAT C (if you know about it).. if they have not been informed then you may not be covered.

I have friends who have previously tried to insure Cat C's.... all they would give is the reg number and from that the insurance companies would refuse insurance as the Cat C is recorded on the ABI's register.....

Where do you think the text message company gets their info from??? :lol:

Insurance companies Do checks. Not quite the same story though.

I bought a Chevy Monza a good few years ago. When it was brought in from the U.S. someone had made a mistake. It was rated as having a 1.5 ltr engine & road taxed accordingly. :yahoo: I rang my Insurance Co. when I knew that it was actually a 2.5 ltr & they told me that they already knew that.

I didn't bother informing the Road Tax people, though :rolleyes:

Well if it drives okay and there's nothing wrong with it, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Look for the thread in the Yaris thread where Haylands brings one back from the dead as a birthday present for his daughter!!! :lol:

That was an amazing bit of hard graft that.

Also, it won't hurt as much if some twerp scratches it! :D

What kind of english does this guy think he is talking ?? :wacko:

If we're going to be pedantic, a capital 'E' for English was required. :rolleyes:

my last car was a Cat C!!! i insured it fine and quite cheaply!! althou i did have many problems with it over the 3 years i had it i still loved that car!!! and sold it on very easliy when the time came!!!!

I have to agree with some of what has been said here in my personal opinion you are paying out an awful lot of money when buying a car, my recent car was bought 2nd hand from a dealer ship and the first thing I asked after checking the car over for signs of previous accident damage was for a HPI check to be carried out, they said it was already done so I asked to see proof before signing on the dotted line I also checked it myself independently before I even went to look at the car. Better to spend a few quid checking the car than pay near £5000 on a damaged vehicle