Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats The Power Heater?

IrwingBronze

Hi All,

this switch is as described in my Avensis Owners manual.

What does it do?

Is it any good?

Regards

Hi

I am sure this is used in very cold countries (even colder than NE Scotland), to pre-heat the car.

They are combustion, or hot gas powered, but I don't think it is much use for the UK and I would imagine it would be a nightmare to install, plus expensive.

If anyone has any more info, please advise.

The Air Conditioning can be used as a heater when the climate control detects cold conditions and when you press the front windscreen button the A/C comes on but is reversed to make it warm.

If the Avensis diesel is the same sort of set up as my old Land Cruiser then the power heater is simply a way of upping the revs whilst the engine is cold.... more revs = more heat :huh:

It is a bit a crude system but it does work.... eventually. Give it a go and see what happens :)

Hi

I am sure this is used in very cold countries (even colder than NE Scotland), to pre-heat the car.

They are combustion, or hot gas powered, but I don't think it is much use for the UK and I would imagine it would be a nightmare to install, plus expensive.

If anyone has any more info, please advise.

this.

it's not an UK factory option (I'm sure that somewhere there is a 3rd party equivalent if you really wanted it but it's not needed for the UK).

As far as i'm aware, the power heater is a small diesel burner to enable warm air to be produced for heating the cabin earlier since a diesel car takes a while to warm up, once the cars warmed up, you can turn it off.

As for the earlier post about the windscreen, it dehumidifies getting rid of mist, far more effective than using heat.