Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Faulty Tail Light

funkyg

Hey guys, help!

Noticed at the weekend that one of my tailights were out. No problem, swap the bulb.

When I took the bulb out it was blackened as if it had blown so just put the new bulb in. Still doesn't work. All the other lights in that cluster are working just the taillight that's out.

I didn't have my thin nosed pliers at home yesterday so couldn't take the fuse out to check. That said if it was the fuse, surely both tail lights would be out?

Anyway, I had the idea of unplugging the faulty cluster and plugging it into the working side and it worked. So the bulb, and cluster are fine it appears to be the wiring.

It's the near side that has gone, so do you think it would just be the wire between the nearside and offside light clusters?

Like I said all the other lights (reverse/fog/brake/indicator) work, and it does work on the other side. Is it just a case of running a new wire from one side to the other? If so does anyone know which wire I need to target?

Thanks.

Hey guys, help!

Noticed at the weekend that one of my tailights were out. No problem, swap the bulb.

When I took the bulb out it was blackened as if it had blown so just put the new bulb in. Still doesn't work. All the other lights in that cluster are working just the taillight that's out.

I didn't have my thin nosed pliers at home yesterday so couldn't take the fuse out to check. That said if it was the fuse, surely both tail lights would be out?

Anyway, I had the idea of unplugging the faulty cluster and plugging it into the working side and it worked. So the bulb, and cluster are fine it appears to be the wiring.

It's the near side that has gone, so do you think it would just be the wire between the nearside and offside light clusters?

Like I said all the other lights (reverse/fog/brake/indicator) work, and it does work on the other side. Is it just a case of running a new wire from one side to the other? If so does anyone know which wire I need to target?

Thanks.

the fuse mate......one for left side one for right.

Hey guys, help!

Thanks.

the fuse mate......one for left side one for right.

yup, sounds right to me. one fuse for each side, otherwise if the fuse blows, you lose both rear lights. or front lights etc.

cheers

Just checked, there is only one fuse for the tail lights and it is intact. Checked the fuse box key on the panel, in the user manual and also in the Haynes Manual. Definitely only one fuse.

(You were right about the head lights have a fuse each though)

So, back to the beginning, do you think it could be the wire?

Take a multi meter and check if you have 12volts at the relevant wires at the plug, if so then the fault is between there and the bulb, and if not then the problem lies before the plug.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links