Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2009 Verso - Warning Lights - Don't Use Accessories Before Start

Big Mike

For information.

Within three weeks of getting my new Verso (petrol automatic) it's twice been back to the dealer after warning lights came on. Both occasions saw the engine malfunction and VSC lights on plus the warning "Check VSC System". The second occasion also saw the ABS light on.

First time it was reset and Toyota told dealer that should cure it. Second time it was reset but Toyota has advised dealer that this could be a known problem which is being worked on.

It appears the problem may be related to four control units. If the ignition is turned to accessory position before starting the engine three of the units power up and then do not relate properly to the main unit which does not get power until the engine starts.

On the second occasion I did have the switch in accessory position for some seconds before starting the engine. I don't know about the first.

Until a fix has been sorted I have been advised not to use the accessory position but start the engine at once.

Michael

The T Spirit have the push button !! the tr and under has Key start !!

Thanks for the information. Nice to know...

I have the same car, 1.8 Multidrive S.

Have you noticed anything being wrong with your dusk sensor? Or does your work well?

Mine dims the dash in daylight when the sensor in the mirror gets in light shadow (tree or driving with sun shining from behind).

Regards,

Timo

Didn't realise the newer car had a worse spec than the old one even the base T2 spec has a start button, and no engines in the range get you to 60MPH in under 10s or can crack 120MPH, where the older car could. That's progress!

Didn't realise the newer car had a worse spec than the old one even the base T2 spec has a start button, and no engines in the range get you to 60MPH in under 10s or can crack 120MPH, where the older car could. That's progress!

Thats not strictly true but understand were you are coming from !!(smart entry ,automatic headlights ,dual zone climate extra on the T spririt)

You always find that a little is left out of the specs on a new model to be able to offer a better spec in 12- 18 months time as an improved version maybe an SR :rolleyes:

Didn't realise the newer car had a worse spec than the old one even the base T2 spec has a start button

Yes, in the previous version you still had to push the ugly blocky key to the key insert hole and then press the start button.

In the new version it's enough to have the key with you. So I would call that a progress.

The engines are low emission models to cope with ever more tightening environment requirements. I think Toyota has managed nicely on this as the engines don't feel a bit less powerful than the previous ones. The 126hp 2.0 D4D moved the car very nicely.

Only engine in the older model that could move the car from 0 - 60mph under 10secs was the 177hp version. Just like in this new version.

Only engine in the older model that could move the car from 0 - 60mph under 10secs was the 177hp version. Just like in this new version.
On the spec sheet I have it says the 0-60 time for the 136hp 2.2 D-4D is 9.4s with the 177hp being 8.8s. That would let you have a 136hp T2 spec with push button start and 0-60 in under 10s.

I haven't seen any specs on the new Verso (not on the Toyota UK website) that show an engine that is capable 0-60 in under 10s, 10.1s is the fastest and this is with a 2.2 D-4D auto.

You always find that a little is left out of the specs on a new model to be able to offer a better spec in 12- 18 months time as an improved version maybe an SR
I know an outgoing model always gets fully loaded with toys just before it is replaced, I suppose that was my point, you get more for your money on the last of the old shape than you will do on the new shape for a year or two.

On the spec sheet I have it says the 0-60 time for the 136hp 2.2 D-4D is 9.4s with the 177hp being 8.8s. That would let you have a 136hp T2 spec with push button start and 0-60 in under 10s.

I haven't seen any specs on the new Verso (not on the Toyota UK website) that show an engine that is capable 0-60 in under 10s, 10.1s is the fastest and this is with a 2.2 D-4D auto.

Our brochure for the old Corolla Verso state exact 10.0s for the 136hp 2.2 D4D and 9.0s for the 177hp version. Of course our times are from 0 - 100 kmh which althou should be equal to 0 - 60mph.

New Verso :

2.0 D4D 11.3s, 2.2D4D 150 AT 10.1s and 2.2D4D 177 8.7s.

Those figures are from the official Verso brochures.

But like I said before, the car feels much more peppier with these new engines. The 126hp feels exactly the same as the 136hp version in the old Verso.

I'm sorry this is going way off-topic.

All in all the new Verso has much more quality feel in it than the old one. The interior design is nice, the materials are excellent and the massive glass roof is absolutely fantastic. And finally we get xenon headlights as a factory option even though the lights are according to reviews, not that efficient.

Only thing I disliked was the center dials and the stupid bar for instant consumption.

So I would say that you get a lot for your money. The new Verso is not that more expensive than the old one.

• 4 months later...
Within three weeks of getting my new Verso (petrol automatic) it's twice been back to the dealer after warning lights came on. Both occasions saw the engine malfunction and VSC lights on plus the warning "Check VSC System". The second occasion also saw the ABS light on.

First time it was reset and Toyota told dealer that should cure it. Second time it was reset but Toyota has advised dealer that this could be a known problem which is being worked on.

It appears the problem may be related to four control units. If the ignition is turned to accessory position before starting the engine three of the units power up and then do not relate properly to the main unit which does not get power until the engine starts.

On the second occasion I did have the switch in accessory position for some seconds before starting the engine. I don't know about the first.

Until a fix has been sorted I have been advised not to use the accessory position but start the engine at once.

To get the thread back on topic and to update on my OP this was eventually fixed today (at least so far so good).

The worksheet says "ABS actuator replaced and reprogrammed".

Now I just have to wait and see if I need the loud pedal fixed.

Michael

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links