Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air Conditioning Compressor

timing belt paul

Hi everyone,Timing belt Paul here. I have another problem on my 2004 D4D Avensis. There has been a rattle from under the bonnet for ages now which has been getting steadily worse. I got a taxi home the other night [also a D4D Avensis] and was talking to the driver about a similar sounding rattle he had experienced. It turned out to be the air conditioning compressor, when he had it changed the noise stopped immediately. Apparently it can be a problem on this model because a friend of his had the same problem on his Avensis. Does anybody out there have any knowledge of this?

Dont know havnt had a problem on mine. Might be diffrent. The only thing is i think the gas might be leaking as i dont think i have any gas.

Hi everyone,Timing belt Paul here. I have another problem on my 2004 D4D Avensis. There has been a rattle from under the bonnet for ages now which has been getting steadily worse. I got a taxi home the other night [also a D4D Avensis] and was talking to the driver about a similar sounding rattle he had experienced. It turned out to be the air conditioning compressor, when he had it changed the noise stopped immediately. Apparently it can be a problem on this model because a friend of his had the same problem on his Avensis. Does anybody out there have any knowledge of this?

Hi again Paul, i think it will be the aircon compressor clutch that is knackered as this has come up on the forum before ..... maybe Igormus will point you in the right direction mate as he seems to be clued up on aircon! :thumbsup:

Regards Pete.

Hi there,

I have a toyota avensis year 2000 2.0L, when the air conditioning compressor start working there is a sound like a "mini tractor"

when the air conditioning compressor stops the noise vanished.

how much did the new part cost you?

if you had also problem with the switch ignition please see my presentaion on how to fix it. works grate.

thanks

angel124

How_to_fix_Ignition_Switch_in_Toyota_Avensis.ppt

Thanks Pete, I have just sent Igormus a message and hopefully he can help me with this. Speak to you soon mate. Regards, Paul.

Thanks Pete, I have just sent Igormus a message and hopefully he can help me with this. Speak to you soon mate. Regards, Paul.

My air conditioning compressor made the same noise on my 2005 2.0 D4D, started quietly and progressivly got noisier over time. Eventually the clutch shaft actualy failed and i had to remove the drive belt to be able to drive home. This happened 135 miles from home and removing the belt also stops the power steering!

As prevoiously said, seems a common problem!

David

My air conditioning compressor made the same noise on my 2005 2.0 D4D, started quietly and progressivly got noisier over time. Eventually the clutch shaft actualy failed and i had to remove the drive belt to be able to drive home. This happened 135 miles from home and removing the belt also stops the power steering!

David

To DAVID + PAUL + all concerned

It is true the compressor might criate abnormal noise when it is in ON/OFF .

This is not an issue with clutch - because the pulley seats on the shaft as solid (!!!) having rotated together. No any el coupling available at all. The compressor switching ON/OFF is governed by a internally mounted solenoid valve (take a look on the compressor body) that gets an el sygnal from the ON/OFF button in the cabin. Normally compressor runs as idlel and dooes not transfer freon gas (134a). Once you press this button -- the el sygnal goes to the solenoid valve and shifts direction of freon transferiing (from small circuit to a long one via condenser/throttle valve/evaporator and back to compressor). The compressor is normal pump that transfers gas - -so it consists of the cranked shaft + con rods + pistons + valve plates (in case of piston type) and three worns (in casce of sscrew type). Besides the comon problems are the bearings or valve plates or sealing rings or control solenoid valve problems. I have repaired my coompressor and the valve plate was faulty (due to gas leak inside) + bearings worn down. Normally this compressor has consumables subject to changing.

Cheers/Igor

Hi,

Must be a common problem as the bearings collapsed on my Avensis D4D T Spirit 2003, made it sound like a tractor with broncitis. Cost me approx £300 for a new/refurb compressor and approx £150 to get it fitted and re-gassed if memeory serves me correctly, Mr T wanted £900+ for same work.

Soon as it was changed vera (my baby's name, the kids chose it, honest) purrs like a kitten again.

Hi,

Must be a common problem as the bearings collapsed on my Avensis D4D T Spirit 2003, made it sound like a tractor with broncitis. Cost me approx £300 for a new/refurb compressor and approx £150 to get it fitted and re-gassed if memeory serves me correctly, Mr T wanted £900+ for same work.

Soon as it was changed vera (my baby's name, the kids chose it, honest) purrs like a kitten again.

Hi BenN74. The problem I have with my aircon unit has been going on for years. When I first informed Toyota of it they said it was an 800 quid job but because the car was less than 3 years old as a gesture of goodwill they would do it for £500. Odviously I told them where to go but the thing is driving me mad now. I don't know whether to change the entire air conditioning unit or try to rebuild it [if individual parts are available for it]. I am sure there is a simple and reasonably priced way to do this.

David

This is not an issue with clutch - because the pulley seats on the shaft as solid (!!!) having rotated together. No any el coupling available at all. The compressor switching ON/OFF is governed by a internally mounted solenoid valve (take a look on the compressor body) that gets an el sygnal from the ON/OFF button in the cabin. Normally compressor runs as idlel and dooes not transfer freon gas (134a). Once you press this button -- the el sygnal goes to the solenoid valve and shifts direction of freon transferiing (from small circuit to a long one via condenser/throttle valve/evaporator and back to compressor). The compressor is normal pump that transfers gas - -so it consists of the cranked shaft + con rods + pistons + valve plates (in case of piston type) and three worns (in casce of sscrew type). Besides the comon problems are the bearings or valve plates or sealing rings or control solenoid valve problems. I have repaired my coompressor and the valve plate was faulty (due to gas leak inside) + bearings worn down. Normally this compressor has consumables subject to changing.

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igormus ,The problem I have with my aircon unit has been going on for years. When I first informed Toyota of it they said it was an 800 quid job but because the car was less than 3 years old as a gesture of goodwill they would do it for £500. Odviously I told them where to go but the thing is driving me mad now. I don't know whether to change the entire air conditioning unit or try to rebuild it [if individual parts are available for it]. I am sure there is a simple and reasonably priced way to do this.

David

Cheers/Igor

Hi Igormus ,The problem I have with my aircon unit has been going on for years. When I first informed Toyota of it they said it was an 800 quid job but because the car was less than 3 years old as a gesture of goodwill they would do it for £500. Odviously I told them where to go but the thing is driving me mad now. I don't know whether to change the entire air conditioning unit or try to rebuild it [if individual parts are available for it]. I am sure there is a simple and reasonably priced way to do this.

Paul / Igor

Look - in case your problem connected with compressor -- then it is better to have it repaired at respective workshops dealing with auto A/C units -- coz their prices must be cheapper. No way back. Try to arrange a video with sound on here. Cheers/Igor

• 2 weeks later...

David

Cheers/Igor

Paul / Igor

Look - in case your problem connected with compressor -- then it is better to have it repaired at respective workshops dealing with auto A/C units -- coz their prices must be cheapper. No way back. Try to arrange a video with sound on here. Cheers/Igor

If it's noisy when the aircon is running, probably the compressor itself.

If it's noisy when the compressor isn't running, then it will be the bearings in the pulley.

The pulley rotates (via bearings) on the compressor shaft. When the air con is running, the clutch locks the pulley to the shaft to drive the compressor (bearings not turning).

Usually parts are available to repair the pulley/clutch assembly and can sometimes be done without removing/degassing the compressor.

The compressor itself is lubricated by oil in the system that is added when the system is charged with gas.

Hope this is of some help and may save you some money.

David

Cheers/Igor

Paul / Igor

hi refrence to a/c problems when switching on a 12volt supply is feed via a single black wire to a magnetic cluch on the compresor the only things in a /c that will override this signal are low pressure switch which cut ot compresor if you have a leak ,high pressure switch if fitted and thermostat and on off switch

the easy way to check cluch operation get a scotch lock and afew feet of cable joinblack cable and your few feet of cable

touch stripped end to possitive terminal Battery you should hear this as the cluch pulls in.

the only way you can tell if there is refrigerant in the system is with proper accsses valve and refrigeration gagues

please do not get sucked in by garages telling you that you need to have the gass topped up as every ac system is a sealed system and should never need filling unless you have a leak if this is the case then any person adding refrigerant to a system that they know has a leak is breaking the law

auto motive comprssors are relativly cheap use the net breakers ect then ask your landlord in the pub or local shop keeper who fixes there cellar cooling or friges keep a couple of spare twentys in your pocket and you could save a fortune

If it's noisy when the compressor isn't running, then it will be the bearings in the pulley.

The pulley rotates (via bearings) on the compressor shaft. When the air con is running, the clutch locks the pulley to the shaft to drive the compressor (bearings not turning).

Usually parts are available to repair the pulley/clutch assembly and can sometimes be done without removing/degassing the compressor.

The compressor itself is lubricated by oil in the system that is added when the system is charged with gas.

Thank You Q.S. I have been waiting for ages for a reply to this problem. I hardly ever use the air conditioning so don't see how I could wear it out. It does sound like bearing noise to me and I am sure it can be rectified without replacing the whole compressor unit .I will look into this and get back to you. Cheers mate, Regards,Paul.

Thank You Q.S. I have been waiting for ages for a reply to this problem. I hardly ever use the air conditioning so don't see how I could wear it out. It does sound like bearing noise to me and I am sure it can be rectified without replacing the whole compressor unit .I will look into this and get back to you. Cheers mate, Regards,Paul.

I am led to believe that not using the aircon leads to more problems than using it so i give mine a ten minute blast at least once a week then switch it off a few miles before i stop the car. :yes:

Regards Pete.

I am led to believe that not using the aircon leads to more problems than using it so i give mine a ten minute blast at least once a week then switch it off a few miles before i stop the car. :yes:

Regards Pete.

Pete is right about using your aircon, give it a run at least once a month even in winter. This circulates the gas and lubricant around the system and stops the sealing rubbers from drying out. If they dry out, they can leak a tad, which over a long period can reduce the pressure to below limits. The low pressure switch will then prevent the system from running and a regas will be required.

It shouldnt affect the life of the compressor unless a major leak occurs and this will allow moisture into the system (not good).

The pulley bearings are turning with belt rotation all the time that the aircon clutch is not engaged so they do wear out eventually.

Regards Pete.

Pete is right about using your aircon, give it a run at least once a month even in winter. This circulates the gas and lubricant around the system and stops the sealing rubbers from drying out. If they dry out, they can leak a tad, which over a long period can reduce the pressure to below limits. The low pressure switch will then prevent the system from running and a regas will be required.

It shouldnt affect the life of the compressor unless a major leak occurs and this will allow moisture into the system (not good).

The pulley bearings are turning with belt rotation all the time that the aircon clutch is not engaged so they do wear out eventually.

Yes I have also heard that not using the aircon can cause problems. To be quite honest I can't tell whether the thing is working or not but the noise seems to be present whether the system is on or not but if I rev the engine to about 1800 rpm it disappears completely. Strange.

• 1 month later...

David

Hi David,

I have an 04 Avensis D4D T3S and just had the same problem with aircon clutch noise. Quote from Toyota to repair was £1000. Spoke to a friend who had the same problem twice and he has now by-passed the aircon by using a shorter belt. I have just had it done today, total cost including labour is £33. Car is so silent now. Belt size is 5pk1113

Cheers,

zimbo53

Lads relax...ive had the same problem. :P my noise stopped when i took my avensis for a new timing belt..! i was told it could of been 1 of 2 things,.. taking pressure off the air con pump bearings...or when they disconnect the battary it stopped a AC/DC charger around the air con motor.. it work for me and it should work for you

Lads relax...ive had the same problem. :P my noise stopped when i took my avensis for a new timing belt..! i was told it could of been 1 of 2 things,.. taking pressure off the air con pump bearings...or when they disconnect the battary it stopped a AC/DC charger around the air con motor.. it work for me and it should work for you

On the topic of aircon, I keep mine always on in my 07 Avensis which has just 20k on the clock. Yesterday morning however in dry but cold conditions the car rear and passenger side windows misted up on the motorway even though the aircon was on and the heater at high but fan speed at low; this has never happened before. I turned up the fan and it took 5 minutes to clear. My teenage son was with me and he had just come out of a hot shower 10 minutes before we left home - could this have caused the misting up? How do I know if the aircon needs recharging?

Thanks!

• 6 months later...

David

Hi David,

I have an 04 Avensis D4D T3S and just had the same problem with aircon clutch noise. Quote from Toyota to repair was £1000. Spoke to a friend who had the same problem twice and he has now by-passed the aircon by using a shorter belt. I have just had it done today, total cost including labour is £33. Car is so silent now. Belt size is 5pk1113

Cheers,

zimbo53

Hi Zimbo53

Where did you get the belt from ?

Cheers

Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone know where I can get the air con fixed in Dublin??Tks