Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Road Rally Car Project

dan52

Ok people im a newbie on here and to Toyotas so could anyone give me a hand? I was given my mates old car as he got a new one. Its a 1998 1.3 toyota corolla 3dr and im a bit of a rally fan and i want to enter it in some road rallies. And i was wondering if toyota made a diesel version of this car and could i swap the suspension to give me some more height and stiffness? And ive been told that the model before this one has 110bhp and if i swapped the ecu for the older one would it give me more power and would it be a straight swap job? This is a budget rally car as im in uni so no expensive mods please but im vey welcome to suggestions?? I will be putting a sump guard on, air filter and extra lights. I would be very appreciative if you could help me out.

Cheers Dan

The only engine with 110bhp was the 1.6 (4a-fe) yours is a 1.3 (4e-fe) - completely different engine so don't bother trying to swap the ECU. There was a diesel version but as far as I know the suspension is the same.

I have suspension for sale that will fit your car. The front coilovers can be used to lift or lower the ride height but the rears have been lowered. Here's a link to the advert for you Clicky I'm willing sell the fronts and backs separately. I'll PM you with more info.

Thanks very much mate! Anybody know any little mods to get it going a bit faster?

Cheers Dan

Air filter (I wouldn't reccomend CAI for you because if you rally you may get water in the engine, go for a straight Ram-Intake) A free-flowing exhaust will help you too, especially if the Catalytic converter comes off.

Because you have such a small engine, you won't be able to get massive power gains, but the above mods will certainly help with response.

Go for lightweight as opposed to trying to get more power because that will be the most cost effective. Get rid of passenger and rear seats, get rid of trim and lower dash, and rid yourself of the sound proofing that lines the floor and bot floor. (This is only if your going hardcore :lol:)

Europerformance.co.uk

Fensport

Ok thanks mate! I cant do the exhaust because I have to meet strict sound requirements and an exhaust will make the car too loud and i will get turned away but i can lose the cat because the rules state that if a car is made from 2000 on, it has to have a cat but mine is a 1998 so ill get an mot on ill and ill lose the cat then. And I have to keep the interior as well but ill try to lose every gram I can do without. And well ive kind of made a ram air kit. I took the standard one off and put an evosport air filter on and this sits in the bottom half of the original air box. I then attached a cold air feed behind the grill and it goes into the standard air suction pipe into the air box. I still need to cover the top half.. But ill make something out of fibreglass soon. Thanks for your time mate :thumbsup:

Cheers Dan

Ok thanks mate! I cant do the exhaust because I have to meet strict sound requirements and an exhaust will make the car too loud and i will get turned away but i can lose the cat because the rules state that if a car is made from 2000 on, it has to have a cat but mine is a 1998 so ill get an mot on ill and ill lose the cat then. And I have to keep the interior as well but ill try to lose every gram I can do without. And well ive kind of made a ram air kit. I took the standard one off and put an evosport air filter on and this sits in the bottom half of the original air box. I then attached a cold air feed behind the grill and it goes into the standard air suction pipe into the air box. I still need to cover the top half.. But ill make something out of fibreglass soon. Thanks for your time mate :thumbsup:

Cheers Dan

Anytime mate.

You can still strip the sound proofing out and put the interior back, so that will save whatever you can.

Good luck. Get some pics up. :)

Also would anyone know how to put a tachometer in this car? Would i just swap the clocks for an sr set or is it a lot more complicated than that?

Cheers Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Nice,

Good work, I'd to see this when its fully ready. :yes:

Make a progress thread in this section, and bookmark it so that you can return to it when you get parts and such delivered/fitted. I don't totally know why but you have me intrigued with your idea of turning this into a rally car lol.

Steering wheel is quite cool IMO.

Dan 52.................Your duplicated post has been boxed...............please use this thread to give updates on your project :)

Tried opening a project thread but the moderators “boxed” it. Anyway here are some pics of the green stuff pads and new disks.

old disks

Photo-0245.jpg

green stuff pads and new disks

Photo-0246.jpg

what you think?

Cheers Dan

Nice, looking good.

Are you going to paint the calipers at all?

Did you have to cut your rubber anti-squeel shims for the pads? I had to and was an *****.

No point painting them this car will be hammered round corners sideways. its not for looks its a budget rally car :lol: and no they went on with no trouble at all mate.

Cheers Dan

• 2 months later...