Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unwanted Addition To The Family

balli hi

Our neighbours opposite have a villa in cyprus , every year they go over there for a couple of months during the summer , in the past they have always had a house sitter to stay at their house and also look after their cat and dog , this year however the dog went to my neighbours parents to be looked after and my wife and i were asked if we could kindly look after and feed the cat , we were given the keys to the house and shown where all the cat food was stored ect ect .... now 2 months is a long time , and after a couple of weeks every time we returned home we would find the cat waiting for us on our front door mat , so we would get the neighbours house keys, let her in and feed her , then return a little later and let her out , but she would follow us back to ours , and when we opened the door she would rush in , soon she was exploring the house , she particularly liked the sofa in the conservatory and would spend many an hour asleep on it , anyway when my neighbours returned we thought everthing would return to normal and she would soon get used to the way it was ..... Wrong ... It would appear that she prefers it at my house and does'nt want to live at her own ,one of the reasons i'm sure is because they have aquired a couple of kittens coupled with the fact that they have a 2 year old toddler and an 8 year old daughter, on occasions when i've gone over there its been bedlam with the kittens climbing up the curtains and running all over the place the toddler & eight year old chasing the kittens and the dog running around barking its head off .

every morning now when we open our front door the cat comes flying in , go's straight into the kitchen and meow's for food , she's clearly very hungry and we suspected that she was'nt being fed , we spoke to our neighbour and she told us that she has tried to get the cat in and feed her but she just bolts for the door every time and won't eat , so reluctantly we asked for a tin of cat food to feed her as she was clearly starving , and our neighbour swiftly produced a tin of dog food , stating that she had run out of cat food and that the cat quite liked it anyway , we agreed that we would feed her on this occasion and suggested that our neighbour should put some food out for the cat to eat , the cat has obviously been put out with the new arrivals and the children running about .

Every morning though its the same old scenario we open the door the cat rushes in crying for food , so we ask our neighbour for another tin of cat food , she again produces a tin of dog food and announces that she's not going to buy two different lots of pet food as its too expensive , so dog food it is then .

The trouble is we are making a rod for our own backs , and as much as we like the cat we don't wish to adopt her, the cat well and truly thinks it lives hear now and on a couple of occasions i've found her curled up asleep on my bed :rolleyes: were not sure what to do for the best , as said we don't want to adopt the cat but niether can we stand by and let her starve , if we feed her it makes the problem worse , if we don't she go's hungry , so whats the answer ????

If they can afford to go to Cyprus every year for a few months then they can afford a cattery!!

I would have a word with your neighbour and explain that this constant holidaying is not fair on their pets. A pet is for life etc etc, not for the few months of the year they're in the country to look after them. It's unfair to burden their neighbours with the task of looking after them each time.

The cat is probably confused and sees your house as a safe haven where it can get food. Cats are fairly simple in that respect. Food & warmth = place to stay.

Start by talking to them and suggesting that they arrange a cattery for the next time they go away for two months. Say that although you like the cat, you're worried it's beginning to think you're it's owner now and the situation is unfair for the animal.

If they continue to 'abandon' the cat when they go, I'd suggest calling the RSPCA. Might sound harsh but they're obviously not attempting to look after the best interests of their pet. :thumbsup:

As a side note if there are places (and pieces of furniture) where you don't want the cat to go you can buy some pet behaviour spray, put a few squirts onto a sheet of kitchen towel and just put the kitchen towel in the place you don't want the cat. It doesn't harm the cat just smells of something they don't like so they don't go near it. We use it when our cat gets too cosy on the sofa (leaving hair everywhere).

You could also buy a catnip plant and put it next to the neighbours front door, the cat will not be able to resist and keep going over to it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nepeta

They do say you don't choose a cat, the cat chooses you!

I don't know what to suggest really, they are very stubborn!

If they can afford to go to Cyprus every year for a few months then they can afford a cattery!!

I would have a word with your neighbour and explain that this constant holidaying is not fair on their pets. A pet is for life etc etc, not for the few months of the year they're in the country to look after them. It's unfair to burden their neighbours with the task of looking after them each time.

The cat is probably confused and sees your house as a safe haven where it can get food. Cats are fairly simple in that respect. Food & warmth = place to stay.

Start by talking to them and suggesting that they arrange a cattery for the next time they go away for two months. Say that although you like the cat, you're worried it's beginning to think you're it's owner now and the situation is unfair for the animal.

If they continue to 'abandon' the cat when they go, I'd suggest calling the RSPCA. Might sound harsh but they're obviously not attempting to look after the best interests of their pet. :thumbsup:

Hi Em,

I would'nt say they abandon the cat each year , as said in the past they normally have a house sitter to stay and feed their animals ( usually a relative ), unfortunately this year they could'nt get anyone to stay , so they asked if we would mind feeding the cat till they returned , they left plenty of cat food to last the duration , and indeed upon their return , there was still around 12 tins left over , the problem is i think , that the cat has been pushed out by the arrival of the kitten's who by the way are not so small anymore .

My neighbour only go's over to cyprus once a year at the moment , they had the villa built about 4 years ago and at first they went over for 6 weeks at the start of the school holidays , then 7 weeks , and the last couple of times 2 months ,each time they go over they have work done on the villa , improving it , getting it ready for their eventuall plan , which is to emigrate for good .

I hope the situation resolves itself before they go away next year, and indeed your idea of suggesting they put the cat in a catery is a good one , we have already spoken to our neighbour a couple of times now as regards the situation , and we were assured 2 weeks ago that the kittens were going , apparently to a relative who had agreed to take them , however the kittens are still there , twice now when we have gone over to ask for some cat food , we have stated our surprise that the kittens are still there , and been told that their relative can't take them yet , i can't remember the exact reason , but recall it was a lame one . I think the kittens are there to stay , and to be honest , i think the fact their cat has found somewhere else to stay and is being fed suits them or least the neighbours wife , ( i'm trying hard not use their names lol ) she really has got her hands full at the minute trying to keep an eye on the toddler , who is into everything , plus 2 other children , 2 kittens and a dog , also just before they went to cyprus the neighbours wife was taken into hospital with severe stomach pains , tests revealed that she had 7 ulcers and her stomach was bleeding , she told us that she has a very poor diet and sometimes go's all day long without eating , and to look at her she's stick thin ! .... so she's not exactly feeding herself properly let alone the poor cat .

Since they returned from cyprus , the husband leaves home at approx 7am and returns at around 11pm every day, he's been running his parents fish and chip shop , as his parents are away on holiday :rolleyes:

I fear somewhere along the line we are going to have to be firm , and stop feeding the cat , and prevent her from entering the house in the first place , i don't have the heart to do it at the moment but i have a feeling thats going to be the outcome . :(

Em's advice is one solution & not a good one in my opinion. It will solve your problem, but leave the poor cat with nowhere to go. Humans are supposed to be superior beings & should treat animals properly. The poor animal will have no option other than to go feral, & God knows there are too many, as it is.

One answer is just to accept that you are owned by a cat :rolleyes: I have been adopted by cats & dogs all my life & have found that they are the most loyal of any. They have known the hard times & welcome a home. My 2 cats both queue up at the door @ Bedtime & sleep with me. I told the Vet this when he asked had they fleas. I said that I had none & he reckoned that was the best test of all :thumbsup:

Answer 2 is when it arrives at your door, starving, pick it up & go to its owner & dump it on her, saying it was trying to get in & was in need of food. Repeat this a few times. She can hardly refuse to take it in. By the way, dog food is not recommended for cats. Not enough vitamins.

Answer 3 has already been mentioned. Go to the RSPCA. Explain that the cat has adopted you & that you don't want it. That it has been virtually abandoned by your neighbour & rightful owner, who isn't feeding it. They should take it in, then & try to re-home it. My 2 came from the Cats rescue Society as Kittens. I know the Lady in charge, well, as my late wife was involved with them. When she discovered who I was she said "Well, I don't need to vet you , Victor". They try to be sure that they go to good homes.

For the unfortunate cat's sake, I hope something is worked out soon.

we had a old skinny cat that adopted us!! its onwers lived at the top of our street and it used to come and sit outside our door and just cry for most of the day! eventually we had to feed it as it wasnt going home to its onwers!! but once you feed it then it belongs to you!!

think mum felt sorry for it as it would eat loads and never put any wieght on, it was deaf and paricially blind! so eventually i used to come home from uni and find it asleep on my bed!! or on the sofa. it got to the point where the owners had to fetch it back from our house cause they where going on holiday and wanted to put it in a catery!!

we hadnt seen the cat since boxing day last year and then found out a couple of weeks ago that they lady at the bottom of our garden had found it under one of her bushes and it was cold and wet and shivering so she wrapped it up! but it was lay there for days so she took it to the rspca and no doubt they would have out it to sleep!!

if i was in yuor situation i would buy some cat food and feed the poor cat!! the owners are obv not capeable of looking after herself never mind the poor cat!! i wouldnt be able to egnore the cat and just watch it starve!!!

i would also keep her eye on the other animals!! they could be also being mistreated!!!!!!

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies ,

It was quite funny the other day , we had just pulled up in the car just as the neighbours were coming out , as we got out the car the cat came running out from a bush meowing and brushing her self around our legs , with the neighbours looking on , my wife said " Can you see this " the neighbours wife said the cat still refuses to come in , and added that the cat was on their window cill the other day and her husband went out and brought her in , but as soon as he put her down she bolted out the door again , i said , as diplomatically as i could that perhaps they should take her straight into the kitchen close the door then put her down make sure the kittens are not in the room and leave her to eat .

Its a bit tricky because i don't want to spoil our good relations with them , but niether do i want the responsibility of looking after a cat again ,we had 2 cats before , that were brother and sister , the boy lived to a ripe old age of 21 i'm not sure how old that is in cat years , however about 18 months ago we had to take the heartbraking decision of having him put down as he had developed kidney disease along with an over active thyroid , the vet advised that the cat was suffering and the right thing to do was to put him out of his misery , my point is , it cost us a small fortune to keep Toby in thyroid tablets and other treatments untill of course the time came when we were advised to end his suffering , the neighbours cat is no spring chicken either at 13 years of age , my home also still bears the scars from toby's tenancy lol , where he used to pull the carpet up by the front room door and on the landing , and the neighbours cat has already got into the habit of sharpening her claws on the bull knose step at the bottom of the stairs prior to scratching at the door when she wants to go out , and i'm certainly not going to be fitting a cat flap , i definately don't want the responsibility or the expense of keeping a pet again .

I spoke again with my neighbour thismorning and said that when the cat next comes in i'll pick her up and bring her over , we have to get her back into the habit of eating in their house again , that has to be the answer . The neighbour is still only buying dog food by the way , not sure if she's feeding it to the kittens , but judjing by the size of them and the sheen on their coats they seem healthy enough .

Chopping their tails off usually stops them coming round..................Just at the back of the neck :rolleyes: :!Removed!:

:lol::lol: :lol2: :thumbsup: you've made me smile :)

Answer 2 is when it arrives at your door, starving, pick it up & go to its owner & dump it on her, saying it was trying to get in & was in need of food. Repeat this a few times. She can hardly refuse to take it in. By the way, dog food is not recommended for cats. Not enough vitamins.

I executed the above perfectly thismorning , i went over and knocked first , explained that the cat was in my kitchen crying for food , and that if she could clear the way i.e make sure that the dog and kittens were not in the kitchen , i would carry the cat over and place it down by its food bowl , so i carried the cat over placed it on the floor , and it made a bee line for its food bowl , just as it was about to tuck in the toddler came whizzing in and made a grab for the cat , the cat then makes a bolt for the door , i picked her up and placed her down by the food bowl again , only for the kid to make a grab for the cat again , and the cat trying to get out the door , now it was obvious to me that on this evidence the problem is the toddler ,so take the toddler out of the room and the cat eats in peace .....Simples , only my neighbour seemed oblivious to it , so i left them to it .

I later asked if the cat had eaten and was told " no " because the baby would'nt leave her alone , At which point i explained that the cat was unable to relax with the baby tugging at her while she was trying to eat , so maybe if she could keep the baby away the cat would eat , " Oh Yeah " ... FFS she's clearly not the sharpest tool in the box , anyway the cat was loitering outside , so i go's and gets her and hands her over for a second try ... success at last , the neighbours still only buying dog food though , i'm not sure if its of decent quality , its the Pets At Home , own brand .

Googled "Dog food & Cats" This was the 1st of several similar rulings :( And the Cheapest "Own Brand" Dog food is likely to be the worst.

I buy my Cats either Kit e Kat or Whiskas- Top brands, but once a week I get them 2 tins of luxury food. You should see the difference in the way they attack it. :lol:

Also, contrary to general opinion, don't give your cats milk, it gives them the scutters :yucky: Plenty of fresh water, instead :thumbsup:

Q. Why is it a no-no to give dog food to cats?

A. As we often say, "Cats are not small dogs." In the case of diet, it is important to realize a cat's nutritional requirements are much different than those of a dog. For example, cats require higher levels of protein than dogs. Cats must have the amino acid called 'taurine' in their diet; dogs can actually make their own taurine. A cat eating food deficient in taurine can develop severe heart disease and other health problems. Almost all cat foods now contain added taurine.

Cats require a different form of Vitamin A than dogs do. Dogs can use beta-carotene as a source of Vitamin A; cats cannot. Cats can not manufacture the fatty acid called 'arachidonic acid' and must have it supplemented in their diet; it is not essential for dogs to have this fatty acid in their food.

So, you see, if a cat is allowed to eat a significant amount of dog food, the cat would be eating a diet deficient in many of the cat's required nutrients. For your cat's health, be sure she is eating quality cat food.

Googled "Dog food & Cats" This was the 1st of several similar rulings :( And the Cheapest "Own Brand" Dog food is likely to be the worst.

Hi vic

I suspected that to be the case , i'm now pondering how i can tactfully depart the information to my neighbour without offending , anyway , one step at a time :D , i had to repeat the process again today whereby the cat was at my door first thing thismorning crying for food , so i carried her over and my neighbour took her in , spoke to the neighbour again this evening and she tells me the cats been in all day sleeping upstairs after it ate some food .....excellent news :yes: and even better still , my neighbour has found a new home for the kittens and they should be getting picked up tomorrow evening :yahoo: and she tells me that they are going to a good home , so its good news allround :thumbsup:

Glad to hear the good news :lol:

At least things seem to be moving in the right direction :thumbsup:

Babies & cats are NOT a good mixture :( . She seems to be a good natured cat, in that she didn't turn & take lumps out of the 2 year old. :lol:

That is a pathetic situation. I think you both need to have a common talk and come up with the common solutions so that it will good for you both and the cat as well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links