Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake Pipe Replacement

wattfield

I have a 1994 Rav4 GX which failed the mot on front discs, and front-to-rear brake pipes. As there seems to be no owners manual for the car, I have a couple of questions..

1 - Does anyone know torque figures for front discs and calipers

2 - I can get brake pipes made up, is there anything I should know before removing the old ones and replacing them, like what route they take and if anything else needs to be removed to gain acess to bolts, clips etc?

Thanks in advance!

I have a 1994 Rav4 GX which failed the mot on front discs, and front-to-rear brake pipes. As there seems to be no owners manual for the car, I have a couple of questions..

2 - I can get brake pipes made up, is there anything I should know before removing the old ones and replacing them, like what route they take and if anything else needs to be removed to gain acess to bolts, clips etc?

Thanks in advance!

I can get the torque for the caliper mountings - the discs of course are held on when you bolt up the wheel.

Theres a selection of discs for the 94 RAV ranging from oem stuff thru to EBC; rotordisc and others. Also have found good cheap discs on eBay. Why would you want to know caliper torque - is it for the sliding bolt thingy? If so then thats not too much.

Replacement of brake pipes is a simple matter of following the route of the old ones. Can't remember if they disappear under the petrol tank. Check the calipers for operation - ie are they freeing off or sticking on?? I found on one of my 94 RAVs that the calipers were sticking on and ruining the disc.

If you're around Glasgow I can recommend a few suppliers.

Hey, just remember how important your brakes are. If you are at all in any doubt about doing the job then maybe get a garage to do it.

As for the routing of the brake pipes, pretty sure they run around the fuel tank but do cross over some fuel lines. The other thing is just to go careful removing the old pipes because the clips can get brittle and snap easily. Try spraying some lube of some sort to help the pipe slide out easier.

Good luck, because i dont know many "pro's" that like doing brake pipes!

Thanks for your replies.

I saw discs and pads for sale on eBay, for a good price, but when I googled the name of the company found they had been succesfully sued for selling substandard parts - as you say, brakes are important, so I didn't buy them. I phoned round a few motor factors, and found discs for £20 + vat at GMK autoparts in Dalry. Haven't started work yet, the discs will be in tomorrow!

Thanks in advance!

I can get the torque for the caliper mountings - the discs of course are held on when you bolt up the wheel.

Theres a selection of discs for the 94 RAV ranging from oem stuff thru to EBC; rotordisc and others. Also have found good cheap discs on eBay. Why would you want to know caliper torque - is it for the sliding bolt thingy? If so then thats not too much.

Replacement of brake pipes is a simple matter of following the route of the old ones. Can't remember if they disappear under the petrol tank. Check the calipers for operation - ie are they freeing off or sticking on?? I found on one of my 94 RAVs that the calipers were sticking on and ruining the disc.

If you're around Glasgow I can recommend a few suppliers.

Thanks, I'd be vey grateful if you could tell me those torque figures, for the caliper mounting bolts, and for the bolts holding the bit you remove to change the pads (whatever it's callled!). Cheers, Watty

It's OK, I found them on another thread! Why don't Haynes make a manual for the Rav4????

They do but it isn;t much cop........