Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Roof Lights

rambler

hi folks

thinking of mounting 4 forward faceing driving lights on my Roof Rack,they will be be switched on sparatly via a dash mounted switch.

considering buying one of these do-it-yourself aux wiring kits from Halfords....

can anybody tell me where to connect into for a live feed please,with enough power to light 4 55watt lights?

or i could splice into main beam wire just behind headlight with a scotchlock,then via a relay to my switch,done this years ago on cars ive had in the past.

if i do use main beam wire,which one is it please....anybody..seems there are 3 to choose from on rear of bulb plug?

hi folks

thinking of mounting 4 forward faceing driving lights on my roof rack,they will be be switched on sparatly via a dash mounted switch.

considering buying one of these do-it-yourself aux wiring kits from halfords....

can anybody tell me where to connect into for a live feed please,with enough power to light 4 55watt lights?

or i could splice into main beam wire just behind headlight with a scotchlock,then via a relay to my switch,done this years ago on cars ive had in the past.

if i do use main beam wire,which one is it please....anybody..seems there are 3 to choose from on rear of bulb plug?

Hi Rambler,

If I were doing the job, I'd take a feed from the Battery via a 25a fuse. 4 x 55w lamps is over 18a which an awful lot of additional load on wiring which is probably running close to it's rating. Probably a good idea to use a relay rather that a switch large enough for that current.

same as three5 - take the feed from the Battery , thru a fuse, and use a relay. If your going to be using these off-road, then why not go for the 100+watt bulbs that are available?

I did for my 6 cibies when they were mounted on the front bullbar.... and they got me down to Kendal faster than ever when I forgot they were switched on....

I did it on mine this summer, and it can be a bit of a nightmare! I wanted to be able to switch the lamps on with the high beam, and also on their own. The feeds to the headlight bulbs seem to be earth switched on the 4.1, which was a !Removed! nightmare! I ended up fitting a separate foot switch on my foot rest so I could control high beam with my free left foot. I also have 2 switches on the dash, 1 for on with high beam, and one for on all the time. I wired the lamps to a relay from the Battery. The relays are mounted in a box on the rack. She switch feed for these go back to the dash switches and another relay wired to the foot switch. To get the foot switch to operate the normal high beam, I just sent the output from this switch to a relay that cross connected the low and high beam wires. That way, if the headlights are not on, the foot switch can just operate the roof lights.

PS 4 lights on the roof gives amazing coverage at night!

I did it on mine this summer, and it can be a bit of a nightmare! I wanted to be able to switch the lamps on with the high beam, and also on their own. The feeds to the headlight bulbs seem to be earth switched on the 4.1, which was a !Removed! nightmare! I ended up fitting a separate foot switch on my foot rest so I could control high beam with my free left foot. I also have 2 switches on the dash, 1 for on with high beam, and one for on all the time. I wired the lamps to a relay from the battery. The relays are mounted in a box on the rack. She switch feed for these go back to the dash switches and another relay wired to the foot switch. To get the foot switch to operate the normal high beam, I just sent the output from this switch to a relay that cross connected the low and high beam wires. That way, if the headlights are not on, the foot switch can just operate the roof lights.

PS 4 lights on the roof gives amazing coverage at night!

hi halfpastsix,that sounds just what i want to achieve,but without footswitch,...i rarely use high beam,but to have the extra coverage at night..in bad weather,would be great.

have now done the easy bit,mounted 4 x 120mm 'ring' driving lights on square aluminium bar across front of bike rack,aluminium wont rust and its very lightweight....looks superb

i did want 'light force' lamps but costs horrendous,heavy duty i know..but settled for 'ring' from Halfords to keep costs down

i may get a small local company 'autolec' based in Alresford to wire them for me,depending on cost,as you say ,it being a mare!!

i would also like mine to have a 'multiplug' between light rack and wire entering cabin,so i can disconnect them easily.

cant wait to see them illuminated

rambler

I bought some 11 quid a pair cheapy things from TowSure in Halesowen, and the coverage is still brilliant. I think the height makes all the difference. And being above the driver's eyes, there are no shadows or unlit areas either, which makes all the difference. Plus, they shine downwards, which means they are less likely to dazzle oncoming drivers than front mounted lamps.

hi folks

visited local auto electrical company this afternoon,quoted approx £100..... a days work.

ravwithrooflights.jpg

now i didnt think that was too bad,including all wiring,relay,getting a feed from Battery through bulk head.....somehow

he intends to route wiring backwards along roof bars,down side channel one side of rear door,then under carpet along under drivers door aperature trim.....all this to avoid drilling a hole in front of my roof..good idea i thought.

and making them work off high beam,a question though folks......

if my rav goes to m.o.t next year with these lights wired to high beam,is it a failure ?

mind you i could un plug them on the day if need be.

he also reckons that as they are only 120mm lights with 55w bulbs,if i replace bulbs with 100w ones,the glass may overheat or crack ?

rambler

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links