Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

T4 2005...

mrmango

Hi, new to the forums, been in and out reading various threads. So I have had some questions answered. However, I have some extra things I would like confirming.

So, I bought a 55 plate T4 avensis for £4000.00 only issue with it is some minor paint work. Its a ex fleet car from my company and have checked the full history. So its been taken care of.

Now.. I thought these models had cruise control, however I may have read wrong somewhere. Where the stick for the cruise control is or should be, looks to be a hole, on either side behind the wheel. Looking inside, there looks to be a allen key style connection. Not sure if this is for a cruise control. Can I get cruise control, if so what's the best way.

Second, I have a toyota connected hands free kit, the kit was for a older nokia, however, would it be hard to disconnect the current cradle and re connect one for my phone?

I have found that the 1,8 is not as fast as I expected, however I was used to a VERY light 1.9TDI fiat. But I assume with traction control on or off, unless I create wheel spin, no other power is lost with TC on?

When using heating/de misting button, a/c switches on?! Does not just make the cabin colder?

I keep hearing about oil burning on a 1.8, am I going to suffer that on a 55 plate?

Lastly, I think I did, but did I get a good price for the above? The paint work was costed to be around £200.00 on top of the £4000.00.

I appreciate any answers anyone has.

Many thanks

Hi,

I believe the T-Spirit was the only version with cruise control, but I could be wrong.

You can get universal after sales cruise control units, which are easy to find on the Internet

Is your hands free kit a Toyota one, or a parrot type one? If it's a parrot or Bury type one, it depends if there is a holder available for your model or not.

The solution I found was to get a Bury C9040 hand free kit, which is a touchscreen wireless system you can either mount on your visor or on your dash & it disconnects within seconds.

You can get it on eBay for about £70 as an ex demo with a years warranty, which is half price.

£4000 is a fair price depending on the mileage.

Not sure what your asking about the Air con issue, so be more specific please.

The oil burning issues were on the original VVTI engines only & as far as I am aware there is no issue now.

Cheers,

Marama

When using heating/de misting button, a/c switches on?! Does not just make the cabin colder?

it's meant to bring the a/c on so that you remove moisture from the cabin air>less moisture>lessmist on the windscreen.

Well it works fine in my car. It can be on & still be warm air coming through in the winter & still demists the windscreen. An alternative is to use Rain-x Anti fog, which if applied correctly, will stop the fogging up of your windows.

I'll have a look cruise control, is it cheap to have fit?

The hands free is a Toyota one. The holder comes out of the cradle, for the specific phone.

I'll have a look for the particular device.

Oops yeah sorry the mileage was just above 75k.

Thanks very much for answering :)

Hi,

I believe the T-Spirit was the only version with cruise control, but I could be wrong.

You can get universal after sales cruise control units, which are easy to find on the Internet

Is your hands free kit a Toyota one, or a parrot type one? If it's a parrot or Bury type one, it depends if there is a holder available for your model or not.

The solution I found was to get a Bury C9040 hand free kit, which is a touchscreen wireless system you can either mount on your visor or on your dash & it disconnects within seconds.

You can get it on Ebay for about £70 as an ex demo with a years warranty, which is half price.

£4000 is a fair price depending on the mileage.

Not sure what your asking about the Air con issue, so be more specific please.

The oil burning issues were on the original VVTI engines only & as far as I am aware there is no issue now.

Cheers,

Marama

Ahh makes sense.

I'll leave it on then :)

Thanks for the response.

it's meant to bring the a/c on so that you remove moisture from the cabin air>less moisture>lessmist on the windscreen.

Well thanks to all who helped me on this subject, much appreciated. Used this forum extensively, to work out what Toyota to go for.

Agree the 1.8 is not super fast. However, it keeps the petrol costs down a little.

Cheers again,

Mango

Well thanks to all who helped me on this subject, much appreciated. Used this forum extensively, to work out what Toyota to go for.

Agree the 1.8 is not super fast. However, it keeps the petrol costs down a little.

Cheers again,

Mango

Hi Mango

How fast do you need to go?

The limit is 70mph and have had my 2005 1.8 to over 125mph, from time to time (where madness prevailed).

The power is only reigned in, by the traction control, if the front wheels spin.

I think you got a good deal on your car, as I paid £9,000.00 for my T3-S, with 16000 miles on it, 19 months ago.

The cruise on 1.8 petrols is a bit vague, as noone seems to have fitted it. Only read of being retro-fitted to the diesel versions.

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this one for about a month, now, with not much luck.

Hope you are enjoying your new motor.

Regards

LOL I know, but its kind of slower than the last car. However.. bigger car, heavier and does not have a turbo. So yes.. but its a good drive :)

Ahh I see, so would traction control help with wheel spin in say snow?

Yeah thought I had, but was never sure.

I have to say a few people sad the turn by turn GPS is poor in the T4, however I think its ok. I kind of prefer not to see a full map. It distracts you. It does not send me down silly roads, so far..

Yeah been looking around, it does seem vague on the cruise control front. So I will keep doing some research. Would it be silly to drive to a local toyota and ask if its possible??

Mango

Hi Mango

The limit is 70mph and have had my 2005 1.8 to over 125mph, from time to time (where madness prevailed).

The power is only reigned in, by the traction control, if the front wheels spin.

I think you got a good deal on your car, as I paid £9,000.00 for my T3-S, with 16000 miles on it, 19 months ago.

The cruise on 1.8 petrols is a bit vague, as noone seems to have fitted it. Only read of being retro-fitted to the diesel versions.

I have been trying to get to the bottom of this one for about a month, now, with not much luck.

Regards

Hi, new to the forums, been in and out reading various threads. So I have had some questions answered. However, I have some extra things I would like confirming.

So, I bought a 55 plate T4 avensis for £4000.00 only issue with it is some minor paint work. Its a ex fleet car from my company and have checked the full history. So its been taken care of.

Now.. I thought these models had cruise control, however I may have read wrong somewhere. Where the stick for the cruise control is or should be, looks to be a hole, on either side behind the wheel. Looking inside, there looks to be a allen key style connection. Not sure if this is for a cruise control. Can I get cruise control, if so what's the best way.

Second, I have a toyota connected hands free kit, the kit was for a older nokia, however, would it be hard to disconnect the current cradle and re connect one for my phone?

I have found that the 1,8 is not as fast as I expected, however I was used to a VERY light 1.9TDI fiat. But I assume with traction control on or off, unless I create wheel spin, no other power is lost with TC on?

I keep hearing about oil burning on a 1.8, am I going to suffer that on a 55 plate?

Lastly, I think I did, but did I get a good price for the above? The paint work was costed to be around £200.00 on top of the £4000.00.

I appreciate any answers anyone has.

Many thanks

Hi in regards to your hands free kit, my car had the same setup when i bought it so what i did was to get a Bury adapter cradle for my phone which fits into the original cradle and this gives me full hands free and charging it also mutes the radio as well.

Have a look on the Net for a suitable adapter for your phone it could save you a lot of cash. Regards Pete.

LOL I know, but its kind of slower than the last car. However.. bigger car, heavier and does not have a turbo. So yes.. but its a good drive :)

Ahh I see, so would traction control help with wheel spin in say snow?

Yeah thought I had, but was never sure.

I have to say a few people sad the turn by turn GPS is poor in the T4, however I think its ok. I kind of prefer not to see a full map. It distracts you. It does not send me down silly roads, so far..

Yeah been looking around, it does seem vague on the cruise control front. So I will keep doing some research. Would it be silly to drive to a local toyota and ask if its possible??

Mango

Hi Mango

Regards

Hi Mango

I agree, that the satnav is very good and accurate.

When you are on the motorway, it shows you which lane you should be in, just in case you take the wrong junction!

I have found a few 1.8 petrol Avensis advertised on the Autotrader website, but when I look at the interior photos, the cruise stalks are never visible.

It is still a mystery to me.

With regard to the hole at either side of the steering wheel, these house the airbag securing screws (Torx T30 to remove).

Regards

The A/C come on but is a reverse type so the climate contol system detects the temp and then turns it on if needed.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advise :)

Sounds like cruise control is a no. However I would probably fall asleep if I had it set all the time on the motorway!

Quite impressed by the MPG, showing 37-38 on my daily commutes.

Spotted the cruise light on the wife's corrola spirit, so yes, it looks like spirits have cruise options. Oh well.

One thing that is quite irritating. The auto wipers, finding even on lowest setting on low rain, it starts slow and then increases to almost the fasts stroke within minutes, which is fine, until the screen becomes very dry and the wipers are wiping a dry wind screen. I know there are two manual settings, but the lowest manual is still a little fast on drizzle and again ends up wiping a dry screen. Any ideas, I checked the sensor for dirt or marks, but I could not find anything.

Other than that, its a great car, glad I chose Toyota :)

Mango

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links