Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1992 Carina E Auto 1.6 - Strange Noise....?

droplink

I have just baught a carina e, it needed a new cat which was no problem only cost me £76 for one. Not a bad car, cost me £200 with 6 months Tax and 9 Months MOT, drives like a dream! My first ever toyota and i love it!

I am having strange sounds coming from it when i start it up it sounds like a childrens rattle when i accelerate, then after driving for a while and put foot on brake to stop when in Drive, there is only what i can describe as a very loud knocking sound. If i put car into N when stationary it doesnt do it, only in Drive and also Reverse. Thing is it doesnt do it all the time, just often enough to annoy me.

I was thinking it was the front part of the exhaust but that seems fine. Anyone got any ideas?

I have just baught a carina e, it needed a new cat which was no problem only cost me £76 for one. Not a bad car, cost me £200 with 6 months Tax and 9 Months MOT, drives like a dream! My first ever toyota and i love it!

I am having strange sounds coming from it when i start it up it sounds like a childrens rattle when i accelerate, then after driving for a while and put foot on brake to stop when in Drive, there is only what i can describe as a very loud knocking sound. If i put car into N when stationary it doesnt do it, only in Drive and also Reverse. Thing is it doesnt do it all the time, just often enough to annoy me.

I was thinking it was the front part of the exhaust but that seems fine. Anyone got any ideas?

i would not worry bout the rattle when you accelarate my carina e did that for 3 years loader whan cold engine never went wrong 110345 on clock now i have 1.8si sweet as

for the knocking wouldn,t like to say it might be bad i dont do automatics

i would not worry bout the rattle when you accelarate my carina e did that for 3 years loader whan cold engine never went wrong 110345 on clock now i have 1.8si sweet as

The rattle i can live with sure, the other sound i have found out what it is, its nothing to do with the auto box thats as smooth as silk. When i had the car parked up i put it into drive and looked under the car with absolute cuation worried handbrake would fail and run me over lol!, the middle part of the exhaust is shaking around in its brackets whcih i cant understand why, it was replaced only a week ago and is tightened up correctly and everything. What may cause so much vibration to make it shake? Could the front flexi part of the exhaust be faulty and need replacing?

The rattle i can live with sure, the other sound i have found out what it is, its nothing to do with the auto box thats as smooth as silk. When i had the car parked up i put it into drive and looked under the car with absolute cuation worried handbrake would fail and run me over lol!, the middle part of the exhaust is shaking around in its brackets whcih i cant understand why, it was replaced only a week ago and is tightened up correctly and everything. What may cause so much vibration to make it shake? Could the front flexi part of the exhaust be faulty and need replacing?

could be engine mountings

Dam i hope not, how much would they be to replace?

How would that cause so much vibration on the exhaust when in Drive or Reverse? Would i not notice any other difference in the engine shaking? Or would it be something to do with the engine speed when in drive compared to when in N or P?

• 1 month later...
Dam i hope not, how much would they be to replace?

How would that cause so much vibration on the exhaust when in Drive or Reverse? Would i not notice any other difference in the engine shaking? Or would it be something to do with the engine speed when in drive compared to when in N or P?

Hi mate,

if this occured after your new exhust was fitted the there could be a bolt or nut that has fallen into the exhust or a front pipe bracket that appears to look tight that isnt! And even if it the noise was there before the new exhust there could still be something : in there!?