Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems With Newly Bought T Sport, Please Help!

magpielaw

Hi guys,

Newbie to the forum, bought my T sport (2002) a couple of weeks ago and encountered the following problems. I am not sure if these have already been talked about but it is worth sharing the issues with the TS fanatics!

1) Interior light does not light up when you unlock the door, so have been manually switching the light on and off at night, any idea if there is a switch somewhere?

2) Petrol consumption - according to the technical data, this is a 35miles per galon (8.1l/100km). My trip computer says I had an average of 9.1L/100Km which is around 31 miles per galon. But from my observation this car is nowhere near 31MPG! My petrol needle doesn't drop until you've done about 70 miles, and when it starts dropping it goes down so dramatically! I had to fill up with half bar left having only done 260-270ish miles from full tank. And no I haven't been hammering it, I was expecting at least 300-330miles with full tank. What milege do you guys get?

3) Pulling away from first gear when the car is hot, I kept feeling as though I didnt put enough fuel and the car was about to stall, I've been driving for 7 years I dare say my clutch / gas control is pretty good, and with the T sport, especially in traffic, I felt like I am a learner again having to rev it high when I pull away, any thoughts on that?

Sorry for the long winded post but any comments will be so helpful!

Thanks everyone!

L

When was it last serviced?

Is the engine warnind light on?

I get about 330 miles give or take on a full tank and my trip computar says average 40.7!!!!!

Is the ignition coils ok??

According to the service book, it was serviced 3000 miles ago by Toyota, albeit could be faked, I will call up Toyota and check what was done.

Engine warning light not on, don't think there is issues with ignition coil I do not know much mechanical side of cars but starting up is fine.

BTW how do you change the trip computer to read MPG instead of liter/100km?

Is your interior light switched to the "door" position?

To switch the mpg,im pretty sure you hold the button down till it changes over.

Was your petrol light on when you filled up @ 270 miles? If not it would have made 300 miles easy :D

As far as I saw, there are only 2 interior switches, one for left and one for right, and the buttons are simply on and off, unless I was there is a button elsewhere that adjust the light mode?

I just tried holding down the TRIP/NAVI button it just resets the counter to 0, still not sure how to change to MPG -_-

I filled up with half a bar left and that would have only lasted me 20 miles at very most. So I am not sure what I could do, read some other comments and they are suggesting cleaning mass airflow sensor which I will attempt and see...

As far as I saw, there are only 2 interior switches, one for left and one for right, and the buttons are simply on and off, unless I was there is a button elsewhere that adjust the light mode?

I just tried holding down the TRIP/NAVI button it just resets the counter to 0, still not sure how to change to MPG -_-

I filled up with half a bar left and that would have only lasted me 20 miles at very most. So I am not sure what I could do, read some other comments and they are suggesting cleaning mass airflow sensor which I will attempt and see...

im not sure on the interior light but to change the trip to mpg you have to use the right hand scroll thingy on the stereo, push in till comes up with -per litre then turn til says mpg then push in again

Thanks Jamiects, had a go at pushing the Audio scroll where you change the bass etc and did it, thanks again

just read post again and the interior lights you refer to are as i call map readers, the interior light that comes on when unlocking the car is in the middle of the roof in the middle of the front seat head rests, i would be looking at the switch on that one to make sure its on the door symbol

AWSOME!! I never even realised the switch was there until you told me! Shows you how new I am to the car really...

Cheers again Jamiects you solved 2 of my 'problems'! :)

Point 3, i totaly agree, when i got mine i was stalling it all over the place... i adapted my driving style to suit, applying more revs like you said, since then however i have found putting tesco 99 ron petrol in smoothed this out and ulitmatly made the car feel alot more powerful through out the whole rev range. Assume your using 95ron atm? You will also get better MPG with 99ron.

Joel

I get about 330 miles give or take on a full tank and my trip computar says average 40.7!!!!!

I'm assuming to achieve that you mainly do motorway driving and don't use Lift.... (although your stats say you have a Yaris T Sport???)

I've only ever had over 300miles a few times and that was when doing long motorway trips....

Currently i'm averaging 34mpg... with a mix of urban/extra urban driving with enough Lift to satisfy my cravings! :lol:

Joel

I use standard unleaded fuel but I might do do a full tank super unleaded and see how it goes but I suspect it will not make much difference. I do a mixture of town and motorway and driving like a granny and still cannot achieve above 30MPG (according to trip computer)

Will have a go at cleaning MAF and see how it goes. Is there a fuel system check or something like that as such to run through all possible causes? I dont wanna end up being ripped of by mechanic for fixing something very simple!

I think you'l find once you've used a tank or two full of Shell V-power then you'l notice a difference

might not go all the way towards stopping the stalling and low mpg but it will definatly help especially if the previous owner has run it on 95 ron for most of its life

Joel

I use standard unleaded fuel but I might do do a full tank super unleaded and see how it goes but I suspect it will not make much difference. I do a mixture of town and motorway and driving like a granny and still cannot achieve above 30MPG (according to trip computer)

Will have a go at cleaning MAF and see how it goes. Is there a fuel system check or something like that as such to run through all possible causes? I dont wanna end up being ripped of by mechanic for fixing something very simple!

Have you re-set the trip computer?

I re-set mine each time i fill up so that it gives the average for that tank of fuel rather than for all miles done since it was last re-set.

I've found the trip computer to be a couple of mpg's optimistic too.

Try sigining up on Fuelly and inputting your litres bought and miles driven... that way you will get your actual mpg :thumbsup:

I have a 52 :)

1) Pretty sure the only switches ive found for the interior lights have been next to the light in the centre / front of the car on the roof. You can even adjust the brightness of your dials by playing with the odometer reset button.

2) Best MPG ive had is 37.6 on a long M6 journey, usually its 31/32 mpg - I cleaned the MAF the other day and it was black with cack im wondering if that might help. Yes I also get about 50-60 miles before the needle drops below full when ive brimmed the tank and then it drops like madness, particularly the last quarter.

3) Odd one, when I first bought my T sport I had to adjust the throttle cable so I had more control over the accelerator, responds to the slightest touch now. In traffic I tend to leave it in 2nd unless im at a dead stop or on an incline, mainly because I find 1st jerky unless im accelerating (probably my clutch). No problems pulling away but I find it will bog down, particularly if you have the AC on if you dont give it enough revs. So if I want a quick get away ill rev it to about 2.5 - 3k and drop the clutch.

I have a 52 :)

1) Pretty sure the only switches ive found for the interior lights have been next to the light in the centre / front of the car on the roof. You can even adjust the brightness of your dials by playing with the odometer reset button.

2) Best MPG ive had is 37.6 on a long M6 journey, usually its 31/32 mpg - I cleaned the MAF the other day and it was black with cack im wondering if that might help. Yes I also get about 50-60 miles before the needle drops below full when ive brimmed the tank and then it drops like madness, particularly the last quarter.

3) Odd one, when I first bought my T sport I had to adjust the throttle cable so I had more control over the accelerator, responds to the slightest touch now. In traffic I tend to leave it in 2nd unless im at a dead stop or on an incline, mainly because I find 1st jerky unless im accelerating (probably my clutch). No problems pulling away but I find it will bog down, particularly if you have the AC on if you dont give it enough revs. So if I want a quick get away ill rev it to about 2.5 - 3k and drop the clutch.

I know exactly what you mean in your third point. when i had my 52 plate, i always would try and set of in second from lights/ traffic because 1st used to be so hard to engage i avoided it, if felt like i was doing damage when i did have to. ( maybe a change of gearbox oil could solve this?)

You can check the basics yourself in regards to fuel consumption,

Switch the air con off (if fitted)

Tyres correctly inflated.

Brakes are free ( no binding calipers/sticking slides ).

Check the air filter for dirt/clogging.

Check the spark plugs/gaps.

Clean or replace the MAF sensor.

Reset the ECU so it can "learn" your driving style (especially if running v power etc).

IMHO - Fuel Economy figures from any Manufacturer can be a little optimistic to say the least :o

Mick

I'm assuming to achieve that you mainly do motorway driving and don't use Lift.... (although your stats say you have a Yaris T Sport???)

I've only ever had over 300miles a few times and that was when doing long motorway trips....

Currently i'm averaging 34mpg... with a mix of urban/extra urban driving with enough Lift to satisfy my cravings! :lol:

Your correct. Well, country driving as Im in Ireland plus I really put my foot down and its looked after.