Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Here And Need Help Please

WeeRicardo

Hi guys wanna start by saying hello as I'm new to the forum.

Just bought a thunder grey 54 plate T Sport 3dr which have to say I'm really enjoying which I was surprised at as my previous cars have mostly been 4wd/rwd turbo'd rice rockets, but now the the mrs is expecting I reckoned it was time to get rid of my EVO 6 and get some nice reliable sportyish family transport. But had a pleasant surprise when i wiped the floor with my mates Golf GTI 4motion and the lift is so much better than Honda's v-tec 9000rpm rattler.

The problem is I love tinkering about with my cars and changing wheels, exhaust, suspension and so on but when I went to find bits on the web for the CTS theres not a great deal. The first thing is the 4x100 wheel options are very restricted on choice as I'm looking for 18s. Then is there much difference to performance with CAI and exhaust system? and where do i get them? suspension wise what would you guys recomend for a spring choice as I'm not wantin a rock solid ride for the little un but still drop about 45/50mm? Lastly has anyone experianced any problems with the car after adding mods and changing stuff?

Any help would be much appreciated guys and if you's could post up some pics of your cars so I can get some ideas of how the car can look it would be a great help to me.

Cheers Ricky

Just bought a thunder grey 54 plate T Sport 3dr which have to say I'm really enjoying which I was surprised at as my previous cars have mostly been 4wd/rwd turbo'd rice rockets, but now the the mrs is expecting I reckoned it was time to get rid of my EVO 6 and get some nice reliable sportyish family transport. But had a pleasant surprise when i wiped the floor with my mates Golf GTI 4motion and the lift is so much better than Honda's v-tec 9000rpm rattler.

The problem is I love tinkering about with my cars and changing wheels, exhaust, suspension and so on but when I went to find bits on the web for the CTS theres not a great deal. The first thing is the 4x100 wheel options are very restricted on choice as I'm looking for 18s. Then is there much difference to performance with CAI and exhaust system? and where do i get them? suspension wise what would you guys recomend for a spring choice as I'm not wantin a rock solid ride for the little un but still drop about 45/50mm? Lastly has anyone experianced any problems with the car after adding mods and changing stuff?

Any help would be much appreciated guys and if you's could post up some pics of your cars so I can get some ideas of how the car can look it would be a great help to me.

Cheers Ricky

hi ricky, i heard off an ex toyota mechanic you have to be carefull what exhaust you go for as the engine needs back pressure and plenty of it (apparantly) and as for suspension he also said if dropped too far it tends to eat driveshafts

i havnt heard any people say much on this forum about either so dont hold me on these

Welcome to the forum mate

There is alot of knowledge here on the forum so im sure your questions will be answered in full in the morning

glad your enjoying lift

all the best

Cheers Ricky

hi ricky, i heard off an ex toyota mechanic you have to be carefull what exhaust you go for as the engine needs back pressure and plenty of it (apparantly) and as for suspension he also said if dropped too far it tends to eat driveshafts

i havnt heard any people say much on this forum about either so dont hold me on these

A few people have dropped it by 40/45mm on springs alone but most people use the TTE/eibach springs and find these improve the handling and looks by miles without a comprimise on comfort. The other choice is coilovers but they are more expensive and need to be used to their full potential to get your moneys worth.

CAI - full induction is prefered over panel filters with K'n typhoon and Apexi been the two big hitters. K'n is the louder/throatier of the two and probably gives slightly more gains(not yet proven) whereas the Apexi is the smaller of the two filters and becasue its a dry cone, gives the best filtration.

I had a Apexi on my previous CTS and it makes a hell of a difference!! you think you enjoy the sound of lift now? you know nothing!!

Exhaust - Custom system or TTe backbox - i really fancied getting a TTe backbox(rebadged remus but cheaper if ordered from parts king) as its not too loud compared to the original backbox but has been shown to free up some horses on certain members cars. The standard airbox and exhaust seems to be quite restrictive.

Two good websites are Fensport ( who's 650 bhp rolla was on fifth gear last night) and nengun

hope you enjoy

also reading through some of the previous topics from the past weeks/months is both amusing and educational

keep and eye on ur levels weekly - sure you know this having a evo in the past

A few people have dropped it by 40/45mm on springs alone but most people use the TTE/eibach springs and find these improve the handling and looks by miles without a comprimise on comfort. The other choice is coilovers but they are more expensive and need to be used to their full potential to get your moneys worth.

CAI - full induction is prefered over panel filters with K'n typhoon and Apexi been the two big hitters. K'n is the louder/throatier of the two and probably gives slightly more gains(not yet proven) whereas the Apexi is the smaller of the two filters and becasue its a dry cone, gives the best filtration.

I had a Apexi on my previous CTS and it makes a hell of a difference!! you think you enjoy the sound of lift now? you know nothing!!

Exhaust - Custom system or TTe backbox - i really fancied getting a TTe backbox(rebadged remus but cheaper if ordered from parts king) as its not too loud compared to the original backbox but has been shown to free up some horses on certain members cars. The standard airbox and exhaust seems to be quite restrictive.

Two good websites are Fensport ( who's 650 bhp rolla was on fifth gear last night) and nengun

hope you enjoy

also reading through some of the previous topics from the past weeks/months is both amusing and educational

keep and eye on ur levels weekly - sure you know this having a evo in the past

Cheers for the info mate def gonna take a look at the Apexi filter, had loads of Apexi gear on a S14 i had while back and was impressed with the quality and price.

You mentioned that the shafts can get chewed if you drop the car to far so think I'll go for the TTe option cos reckon Toyota wouldn't put their name on them if it was gonna wreck stuff, well I hope anyway lol.

I had a look at few previous post and oil consumption had been mentioned a few times so I'll be keeping my eye on it, whats best to used oil wise anyway is a semi-synth?

I have said this before but i find it very very strange how many of you mention the oil usage, i mean 3ltrs in 4k is crazy, i've done 5k since its 90k service and not had to put a drop of oil in, checked it a few days ago and its spot on the mark where it was after the service, ill be unlucky if i have to put 1/4ltr in by the 100k service.

Guess i must be very lucky with my engine ...... Oh well, welcome anyway fella, hope your engine is as well made as mine ;)

LAA69 - do you use the 0 - 40 oil or toyota recommended 5 - 35?

does anyone know if the 0 - 40 is more likely to burn off ( whatever makes the level go down) because it is not as thick?

I put mobile one 0 -40 in as i was told it gets to its running viscosity (sp.) quicker which suits me because i work earlys, but it did need topping up every 500miles or so

I have a years toyota warrenty that i got with my new rolla

does that mean i will have to get the oil changed by them with the service?

or will i be able to change the oil and filter myself halfway through next service interval ?