Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Many Miles Is A Yaris Engine Good For?

Rhodrich

I bought a 1999 1.0 Yaris early this year, and I'm concerned about how many miles my wife seems to be racking up in it.

The car had done 80,000 miles when we bought it, and now it's coming up to 90,000, mainly due to her 60 mile daily commute to work.

At this rate, it will hit 100,000 by early next year!

How many miles are these engines good for? The car is well serviced......

60 mile commute? Ideal

Regular service? Ideal.

They don't rust.

I would imagine 200k miles plus...

I have seen several for sale with well over 100k miles. they look OK, sound OK and drive OK.

As long as it’s serviced every 12 months or 10,000 miles (which ever comes first) and has good quality oil and original filters and driven sympathetically, there is no reason for it to fail. I would also use Toyota to do the servicing.

There is one it the States that has done over 350,000 miles and is good as it was the day he bought it.

Enjoy your Yaris :thumbsup:

• Like 1

High mileages usually start seeing air flow meter's going and the chains getting noisey.If its serviced bang on then thats the best you can do to help it not fail :)

354,000 miles in 3 years :thumbsup: (Oil change every 5000 miles)

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

Don’t be concerned about hitting 100,000 miles next year! It will go to the moon (which is 238,857 miles) and probably back again :lol:

My 2007 Toyota Yaris S Sedan doing 354,000 miles in exactly 3yrs without any major repairs. I replaced the alternator @ 323,000 miles. Only scheduled maintenance done on it, such as, Oil, Oil Filter, Spark Plugs, Drive Belt, Struts & Shocks, and Tires. Still running on the original factory clutch and brakes. I only use OEM parts.

• Like 1

Fab video.

Can I be bothered to change oil at change every 5000 miles! I always leave it to service times. :(

210,000 KM

131,250 miles in 5 years

Much over dirt roads in Italy and Greece

Some bits have dropped off but the diesel 1.4 engine is still as good as new. !

George.

My 2000 yaris has 132k on the 998cc. Nothing major gone wrong , just exhaust, brakes and tyres. I do suffer from the air flow sensor problems but it's been like that for the last 5years/75000 miles and I still get 46 mpg average.

Great cars

• Like 1

All good to hear - thanks!

Going forward, I plan to service the car myself, so I am certain that it is done well - I wouldn't trust a dealer to do a proper job! A neighbour's Passat came back from a garage service at the weekend, only to have the under engine tray fall off as he was going down the road. Changing oil, filters and spark plugs is very straightforward.

The discs will need replacement soon, and I plan to do these myself too. All good fun! It's a good job I've got a well equipped garage......

R

• 9 years later...

2008 yAris and just usual maintenance expenses.. over 350000 and running well.. 

BA3E558F-8BB6-4EA6-A9E9-5C7BE5B943A1.jpeg

• Like 3

Excellent!  Any secrets to your success? 

Is it Toyota serviced at the normal intervals?

Does it use much oil?

Does it get driven in a, er..., spirited manner?

I really don’t have much city driving and after almost losing my license I stay close to the speed limit.. never had to add oil other than when changed at service schedule which I do follow.. so no drastic secrets other than taking care of it.. 

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi.  I've just had my 17 yr old Yaris serviced and it needs new brake pads but that's all.  It's already had a new clutch and has under 100000 miles on the clock.  I get it serviced by a Toyota dealer every year -  will I get another few years out of it??   I'm in my seventies so don't want to upgrade if it's not necessary. 

thanks in advance  🚕🚕🚕

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nancy hegarty said:

Hi.  I've just had my 17 yr old Yaris serviced and it needs new brake pads but that's all.  It's already had a new clutch and has under 100000 miles on the clock.  I get it serviced by a Toyota dealer every year -  will I get another few years out of it??   I'm in my seventies so don't want to upgrade if it's not necessary. 

thanks in advance  🚕🚕🚕

Hi Nancy read the post (how many miles is my Yaris engine good for) and it will reassure you that there is many many more miles in your Yaris. The key to big mileage is to have Toyota service it every year or 10000 miles whichever comes first. Years of happy motoring to come

• Like 1

Hi All,Does the Yaris 1.33 petrol engine require 2 oil/filter changes per annum if the car is used for daily short trips of under 3 miles i.e. to the shops and back or will the engine be ok with one change at its annual service? My aunt who is in her late 60's and disabled has just acquired a 2015 model and will probably never do more than 10 miles per journey. Thank you.

• Like 1

As the Yaris engine  gets older, its had a small occurence of piston ring problems. If the oil gets gummy, due possibly to lots of short journeys, it can restrict the scraping effect of the oil ring. You will notice a gradual drop in oil level if this occurs, its not normally worth a repair. For this reason I would change oil more frequently, say 5k mls. Remember that there are a number of little jobs done by Dealer services that tend to get passed by the local garages and the DIY, like lubricating brake cable pivots and changing fluids rather than just topping up.

Oil is the life blood of an engine, it deteriates with use. If you want another 100k, which is not unusual, look after the blood.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AtlanticSpan said:

Hi All,Does the Yaris 1.33 petrol engine require 2 oil/filter changes per annum if the car is used for daily short trips of under 3 miles i.e. to the shops and back or will the engine be ok with one change at its annual service? My aunt who is in her late 60's and disabled has just acquired a 2015 model and will probably never do more than 10 miles per journey. Thank you.

Our 2003 D4D has annual oil (fully synthetic) and filter changes every year and always has done since purchased in 2005. 

Since 2015 it averages under 2k miles a year.  No engine pproblems at all.. The critical part  - the timing chain - is prone to wear with old/sludgy oil. It makes no sound..

• Like 1

My mother has a 64 plate (Dec 2014) 1.33 Icon, manual trans, and as she's retired, she only does very short journeys of a few miles each day, the car has only done 26K miles in total.

I was checking the fluids in it the other weekend, and noticed something that concerned me quite a bit, there was a fair bit of "mayo", white sludge in the oil cap, and also in the opening in the top of the valve cover. Now she hasnt had the oil changed for a couple of years, and I was telling her I was worried the car could have a head gasket starting to fail, as there seemed to be too much white sludge to be just "condensation" from only short journeys. I have told her to take the car to her local garage to have the oil changed and tell them about the white sludge, plus I also told her to get the Battery changed as well as this is still the original, 5 years old this year.

My big question is though, is the 1.33 engine prone to head gasket failure, or am I worrying her and myself un-necessarily?

My own car is also low mileage and only does small amounts of mileage each day (2.5k miles a year), and it does not have any white mayo in its filler cap at all, none - so if my car doesnt have it, why does my mothers?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Stevie J said:

My mother has a 64 plate (Dec 2014) 1.33 Icon, manual trans, and as she's retired, she only does very short journeys of a few miles each day, the car has only done 26K miles in total.

I was checking the fluids in it the other weekend, and noticed something that concerned me quite a bit, there was a fair bit of "mayo", white sludge in the oil cap, and also in the opening in the top of the valve cover. Now she hasnt had the oil changed for a couple of years, and I was telling her I was worried the car could have a head gasket starting to fail, as there seemed to be too much white sludge to be just "condensation" from only short journeys. I have told her to take the car to her local garage to have the oil changed and tell them about the white sludge, plus I also told her to get the battery changed as well as this is still the original, 5 years old this year.

My big question is though, is the 1.33 engine prone to head gasket failure, or am I worrying her and myself un-necessarily?

My own car is also low mileage and only does small amounts of mileage each day (2.5k miles a year), and it does not have any white mayo in its filler cap at all, none - so if my car doesnt have it, why does my mothers?

The mayo is caused by water condensation inside the engine. Petrol engines produce loads of water during combustion and it will condense on cylinder walls and head when engine is cold...

Your mother does low miles AND HAS NOT HAD THE CAR SERVICED FOR TWO Years.. That is the way to ruin an engine...

Our Yaris does far fewer miles =- all short journeys but it is a diesel and oil is changed every year.. Diesels  do not produce water in exhaust (but they clog up catalysts with carbon)

The way you drive also has an effect: low revs mean engines rarely warm up...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Stevie J said:

I was checking the fluids in it the other weekend, and noticed something that concerned me quite a bit, there was a fair bit of "mayo", white sludge in the oil cap, and also in the opening in the top of the valve cover. Now she hasnt had the oil changed for a couple of years, and I was telling her I was worried the car could have a head gasket starting to fail, as there seemed to be too much white sludge to be just "condensation" from only short journeys. I have told her to take the car to her local garage to have the oil changed and tell them about the white sludge, plus I also told her to get the battery changed as well as this is still the original, 5 years old this year.

The engine is fine sort of. As you have been told, the short journeys, plus not getting the engine hot enough to evaporate any condensation, causes the moisture to mix with the engine oil. I would suggest you go with your mother, because some garages can be cowboys with certain people! Or take the car to one you know and trust yourself. I have always change the oil of my cars since I could drive. If I was changing the oil of your mothers car. it would be an engine flush first to get the old stuff out, then new fully synthetic correct grade oil. Then after 6 months, another oil service. I would monitor the condition and level of the oil, to decide if the oil needs changing again. Add the spark plugs and all the filters.
This will keep the engine in good condition and help with the values (keep receipts and records). This will help values up for the car. Also a good polish after a thorough wash helps.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Indeed, thanks for those responses - it seems that excessive very low mileage journeys can damage an engine moreso than long journeys done regularly, so that an engine thats only done less than 30K miles could be in worse condition than one thats done 180K miles. I believe my mother was supposed to be taking her Yaris to get the oil changed today so I will ask her about this when I see her next, and I will check this has actually been done, but she uses a local garage that she has used for almost 20 years, who do her MOT's as well, and I believe they are honest, so I hope they will have done what was needed as she booked the car to have a full service. I was hoping the white residue was just from too many short journeys of less than a mile or so (to the shops etc) each way, so that the engine would not fully warm up enough to get rid of moisture. I also advised her to get her Battery changed too, as the Battery can also be killed prematurely by lots of short journeys especially in winter, and her car still has its original Battery fitted, so that is over 4 years old now.

The odd thing is though is that I myself drive my own car short journeys too and from work (3 miles each way), and only rack up 2.5 - 3K miles a year, so I go 2 years between oil changes as I like to get 5 - 6 K out of an oil change, but my car has no mayo at all anywhere and the oil never seems to get black, just a darker shade of golden brown. Granted, short journeys and low mileage engines may be great when it comes to selling a car on second hand, but ultra low miles is not always a guarantee that the engine will be in better shape than one that has done over 100K miles, due to premature wear from lack of maintenance, where the owner thinks they can go 10K miles between services, even if they take 4 - 5 years to rack up 10K miles. Low mileage engined cars of significant ages, say 32K miles on a 14 year old Yaris like mine may make my car worth more than a 14 year old Yaris with 140K on the clock, but it could also mean rotted exhausts, worn clutches, perished rear tyres, seizing brake calipers (yes, mine has had them), and a whole host of other issues that you would not expect from a car only done 32K miles.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Stevie J said:

Indeed, thanks for those responses - it seems that excessive very low mileage journeys can damage an engine moreso than long journeys done regularly, so that an engine thats only done less than 30K miles could be in worse condition than one thats done 180K miles. I believe my mother was supposed to be taking her Yaris to get the oil changed today so I will ask her about this when I see her next, and I will check this has actually been done, but she uses a local garage that she has used for almost 20 years, who do her MOT's as well, and I believe they are honest, so I hope they will have done what was needed as she booked the car to have a full service. I was hoping the white residue was just from too many short journeys of less than a mile or so (to the shops etc) each way, so that the engine would not fully warm up enough to get rid of moisture. I also advised her to get her battery changed too, as the battery can also be killed prematurely by lots of short journeys especially in winter, and her car still has its original battery fitted, so that is over 4 years old now.

The odd thing is though is that I myself drive my own car short journeys too and from work (3 miles each way), and only rack up 2.5 - 3K miles a year, so I go 2 years between oil changes as I like to get 5 - 6 K out of an oil change, but my car has no mayo at all anywhere and the oil never seems to get black, just a darker shade of golden brown. Granted, short journeys and low mileage engines may be great when it comes to selling a car on second hand, but ultra low miles is not always a guarantee that the engine will be in better shape than one that has done over 100K miles, due to premature wear from lack of maintenance, where the owner thinks they can go 10K miles between services, even if they take 4 - 5 years to rack up 10K miles. Low mileage engined cars of significant ages, say 32K miles on a 14 year old Yaris like mine may make my car worth more than a 14 year old Yaris with 140K on the clock, but it could also mean rotted exhausts, worn clutches, perished rear tyres, seizing brake calipers (yes, mine has had them), and a whole host of other issues that you would not expect from a car only done 32K miles.

A petrol engine will be warmed up enough for the water thermostat to open after 1.5 miles in winter and 1  in summer.

But < 1 mile journeys are engine killers...Nothing warms up and the oil is diluted with unburned combustion products and it stinks..

My wife usually drives 1 mile to A, parks for 2 hours and drives back again. Summer and winter.

She has done the same for 20 years.. It destroys petrol engine exhausts ..  I change the oil and filter every year.... every year 

She has not (yet) destroyed an engine....but to pass MOT smoke tests in her Yaris diesel requires 20 miles at 5,000rpm the day of the test to clear the exhaust and catalyst of carbon...(very noisy)

• Thanks 1