Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3sgte Corolla's?

Big_g

How popular and easy is this conversion? I know Fensport done 1 but im meaning on an older corolla (bug eye,98 shape?) Keeping it FWD aswell ? Anyone done the conversion? I was considering building another starlet up (using a forged 5E this time) but dunno if it would be better to do something a little more diffrent this time round :D

Speak to dawesy.

He has a GTi-16 (AE92) with the 3S-GTE conversion and 470BHP going through the front wheels!

He'll be able to tell you all you need to know about the engine itself.

Good luck mate,

KP

I might do this conversion to mine one day as I have a 3sgte engine sat in the shed doing nowt........although for the time being It will remain standard...will follow this thread with interest.

John905 (I think) has a 3SGTE in his 'Rolla also.

From what I've heard it's a fair amount of work. Only real way to find out is ask those and have a go! :P

Erm, See here.

Please wait a few seconds for Video to load!

That's Dawesy vs Norfolk n Chance.

High 12's is mighty respectable. Are the 2 members stil active on here? Is there a forum im missing out on? ;)

edit----- John905's is the 1 i spotted @ JAE,didnt have the bonnet open though :(

Both members are semi-active, if you like.

Dawesy has bigger plans for the Rolla. I believe next year it'll be RWD and be pushing.. 'A Bit' more HP. ;P

howdee doo.

yep thats my roll ain the vid, it has done a 12.1 sec 1/4 but its going RWD at the end of the year with the engine in the boot.

the dificulty of the conversion depends on your ability in welding, fabrication, and vehicle electrical systems.

the parts you will need are

3S-GTE engine, loom, ecu (better getting this from a celica TBH and preferably an ST-205 at that)

MR2 turbo transmission, later types have an LSD fitted. this will need a mod to keep it FWD but that takes about 10 mins.

Celica ST-165 or corolla levin supercharger driveshafts.

celica GT4 rad.

are you thinking of doing the work yourself?

i can do the labour side for £600 if you supply all the parts.

Im a mechanic :P cant weld though :(. How are the mounts for lining up? or is it all cut and weld in? I suppose the wiring would be a headache aswell?

Whats the benifits of using the st205 stuff? What if you could find a damaged mr2 turbo,could you use the stuff off that (engine,box,loom?) What about linkages for the box,you use mr2 ones or the corolla ones? the shafts a direct fit? Sorry......so many questions :lol:

sorry to jack the thread but just a quick question - dawsey, what about a 3S-GTE engine in a levin? how difficult would that be, would the same labour cost still stand? :D

yeah the levin has the same basic chassis so yeah cost would be the same. basicaly drop your car off and get all the bits delivered and then pick the car up with engine fitted and running (drivable too). only thing i cant really do is exhaust as i dont have a pipe bender. i can however make up a pipe to connect to your existing system.

big g, all mounts will need to be made (well mounting points anyway) i used the ST-205 side mounts nto the chassis rails as they 1, look better and 2 are easier to mount.

the front and rear mounts are hybrid rolla/celica but do need some welding.

driveshafts, if you have the levin SC shafts then yep direct fit into the gearbox and hubs and if using the MR2 turbo/ST-165 hybrid shaft then as long as its MR2 inner CV and ST-165 outer CV and shaft will also fit direct to both.

bennifits of the gen 3 3S-GTE are it has about 50bhp more than the gen 2 and is a better basis for furthur power mods. it will run a reliable 300bhp with little mods (exhaust, air filter, decat and boost upped to 1.1bar)

you can use the MR2 turbo engine loom and ecu, but as the ancilaries are different theres a fair bit of swapping bits, hence going for the celica lump as its designed to go in the front of a car.

wiring is a bit of a mare as you need to convert the cars engine loom to fit and run the 3S. this involves adding wires and swapping plug pinouts. not to bad if you have the manuals for the car and the engine ( got the engine and AE-92 pinouts and wiring diag if you need them).

gear linkages, you need to mod the MR2 box for going in the front of the car. basicaly it involves removing the MR2 selector and fitting the celica one. drilling and tapping 2 M10 holes and blocking up one hole with the right size coreplug.

heres a pic to show how it all looks. sorry its not really got any mounting deatli but ill get some pics if you need them

Toyota-Corolla-3SGTE-Engine-640.jpg

let me know if theres any other help i can give. id say pop down and see me for a chat but your a bit far away :D

Are you able to do the wiring loom? Would it work if i sent you the corolla loom and a celica loom? Or would you need the car infront of you? Just thinking if you can do a drive in drive out job,getting you to do the wiring would take abit of the hassle off me :lol: :lol: It is a pitty your so far away,would love to see the car up close.

erm not 100% on doing the loom via post as i need to know how long the wires need to be. if you could get everything else done and get the car trailered to me i can do the loom in a weekend. i work from home as i do stuff like this in my spare time, i work at the burnaston toyota plant in the week.

ill have a look and see if theres a way i can do it via post.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dawsey, ill give u 600quid ...... if you come to me to do the conversion :D

The upper gearbox mount must be drilled from the st205 i presume?, what about the cambelt side mount, the st205 has abig round thing on top of the mount, with 2 bolts about 6inches apart bolting to chassis, will this fit straight to a corolla or whats the best thing to do? and look nice too?

Is there many wires taken from the corolla loom and left going to the fusebox? for lights etc, and will all the dash stuff still work like standard, warning lights and so on

lol if you pay a tad extra to cover board and lodgings and time off work ill do it ;)

i have the bracket from an ST-205 on mine as when i originaly did the conversion i did it a bit different and wasnt happy, however i cant see why you cant use the bracket from the rolla (we are talking about the metal part thats welded to the chassis). it may need moving to suit though but if you are careful in removing it then you can weld it back on.

as for the cam belt end, remove all the original rolla bracket then offer the engine and gearbox assembly ito position, when your happy with its position mark the two bolt holes in the mount and drill 2 11mm holes into the chassis rails.

you then cut a flap in the back side of the chassis rail (wheel side) under the area you have marked for the bolts, weld in 2 M10 nuts with a flanged base and close the flap and weld up, job done you will need to bend the small arm that comes off the mount to reach the body and then drill a hole and fix a nut underneath.

basically the rolla loom stays as is and only the wires for the engine are modded, although you will need to extend the alternator wiring.

:)

Must i pay for the ferry too to cross the irish sea lol :o

Is the corolla mount (the one near the Battery tray) wide enough for the mr2 turbo mount on the box, taught theyd be narrower on the corolla,

Also if i get a st205 as a donor car, will all the mounts off the gt4 gearbox fit straight onto the mr2 turbo box, i presume there much the same box,

and as for the wiring if i was to use the st205 engine loom would this be less work than modding the corolla loom and adding wires etc, as the gt4 loom is already made for engine just to add a few wires which go to front fusebox by Battery??

think its wide enough (if you can measure the gap ill check it for you) yest the mounts for the GT4 will fit but the front anbd rear gear box ones will need a bit of modding to fit the rolla.

i used the gt4 loom and yes it fits the engine but it looks a bit of a mess to be fair as it dosnt fit the car too well, if i re-did mine id use the rolla loom and add in the wires. i used the avensis loom and modded it for the 3S-GTE when i did kens avensis, found it a fair bit easier if im honest

Hi there,

I have a 3S-GTE gen 2 in my Corolla AE101.

And yes it's a lot of work :lol:

post-84911-1255469923_thumb.jpg

More pics stefan, need as much input to these conversions as possible lol. ;)

I do have this for you: http://www.corollaforum.nl/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16386

That's my engineswap 3 years ago when my Corolla was still red.

It's in dutch language but you have some pics ;)

This is the green/black beast now! :lol:

post-84911-1255470948_thumb.jpg

Hi, im just in the process of gettin a 3sgte put into my ae101 corolla, if your looking for help with the conversion all the info is logged on twobrutal.com forum, should help with yours!

More pics stefan, need as much input to these conversions as possible lol. ;)

I do have this for you: http://www.corollaforum.nl/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16386

That's my engineswap 3 years ago when my Corolla was still red.

It's in dutch language but you have some pics ;)

This is the green/black beast now! :lol:

Awesome work!!! B)

• 11 years later...
On 10/1/2009 at 2:31 PM, dawesy said:

howdee doo.

yep thats my roll ain the vid, it has done a 12.1 sec 1/4 but its going RWD at the end of the year with the engine in the boot.

the dificulty of the conversion depends on your ability in welding, fabrication, and vehicle electrical systems.

the parts you will need are

3S-GTE engine, loom, ecu (better getting this from a celica TBH and preferably an ST-205 at that)

MR2 turbo transmission, later types have an LSD fitted. this will need a mod to keep it FWD but that takes about 10 mins.

Celica ST-165 or corolla levin supercharger driveshafts.

celica GT4 rad.

are you thinking of doing the work yourself?

i can do the labour side for £600 if you supply all the parts.

Hi. Are you still available for a AWD 3sgte swap on A corolla E11?