Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Keyfob

Cherry Red Pocket Rocket

Both of my cars have had electric central locking and I was very grateful for it but never really appreciated it as much as I do now!

For some reason, with my Yaris, I can unlock the car remotely but when I press lock it won't lock at all. I looked closely at it and when it unlocks a little red light in the top right corner of the key flashes and it unlocks. However, when I press lock no little red light flashes and it doesn't lock. I've got to insert my key and lock it manually. Thus I assume that buying a new Battery won't make any difference (I've ordered one anyway) but assume that there is something wrong with my central locking keyfob instead.

Can anyone tell me what to do? Will I have to get one from the dealer and if so, will it be costly?

Cheers.

When I inquired how much a new remote key would cost, I was told £190 :angry:

Could it be an interference thing?

My key wasn't working at all yesterday, but then magically started working again when I got home! :blink:

Maybe try very carefully taking it apart and cleaning it. Might just be clogged up with muck or dust. :unsure:

Maybe try very carefully taking it apart and cleaning it. Might just be clogged up with muck or dust. :unsure:

I agree - try and take it apart and have a look.

I had an Alfa 156 and the microswitch on the circuit board inside the key broke off through constant use....

I managed to tape it back on to get me home from holiday and then soldered it back on when I got home to make a proper connection.

The other thought I have is that the reason for the high cost is the labour charge for programming the key at your dealer.

I have seen the process for programming the key documented on the internet for the Mk1 Yaris.

You could maybe buy a spare key off eBay for much less (either a blank or an old key from another Yaris), program it yourself and then either just cut off the key bit and use it as a second fob on the keyring - or try and swap over the key blade....

I've changed the Battery and gave it a good clean. Alas, to no avail. It still isn't working. I rang Toyota in Kidlington and they quoted me a price of £150! Gave Milton Keynes a buzz and they said £70 which is better but still quite costly! I think I'll just leave it as it is. I can unlock it remotely which is handy and I only lock it when I get out of the car so it just requires a little bit more effort and will result in a saving of £70!

£15 on eBay Buy-It-Now and others bidding for less...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-2-BUTTON-REMO...id=p3286.c0.m14

I definately found reprogramming instructions for the Mk1 Yaris on the forum, so even if you can't swap the blade over, you could cut the blade off and just use it as a keyring remote control fob.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Milton Keynes and got lost. Wasted a day and a tank of fuel. I've decided to go with the second fob option. Could someone point me in the direction of the thread so reprogramme a key fob please? Cheers.

I went to Milton Keynes and got lost. Wasted a day and a tank of fuel. I've decided to go with the second fob option. Could someone point me in the direction of the thread so reprogramme a key fob please? Cheers.

Try these. A google search on "porgramming toyota key fob" found quite a few....

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/lof...php/t23924.html

http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.p...&pid=668353

http://195.10.244.9/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=73383

• 1 month later...

It seems that my immobiliser is activated only when the key is taken out of the ignition and deactivated when the key is put in. I can manually lock and unlock the car, its just a pain. I presume that with my key the remote keyfob is just for ease of convinience?

• 1 year later...

Hi, just wondering if you fixed this prob and if so wat was it?? Ive got exactly the same prob with my 2001 yaris t sport and it's bugging me! Got 3 remotes all with new batteries and all re programmed to the car but still no luck!!! I have found a way around it but it's still not ideal and just want my remote locking to work how it should!! Grrr :-( xx

• 4 weeks later...

This happened to my yaris so i opened yp the key, took off the rubber cover on the button module, revealing the circuit board, and my problem was that the lock switch had come off the board.

I simply re-soldered it onto the board, (Warning: Only try this if you are VERY competent with soldering etc.)

• 3 weeks later...

my yaris has the smart entry + smart start system which at first i thought was a bit gimmicky but its brilliant. i can walk up to the car with the keyfob still in my pocket and a sensor on the back of the handle unlocks the doors when you put your hand on the handle !!!! ( keyfob still tucked away in my pocket )

once in the car just depress the clutch in neutral and press the start button and away we go ( keyfob still in my pocket)

over the years with various makes and models i have found its usually the touch buttons that fail with continuous use, the toyota smart entry + smart start are novel but work a treat , when leaving the car press the start button once again to stop the car , close the door and on the handle there is a small black touchpad when touched locks all doors ! no keyfob to be seen !!! brilliant idea :thumbsup: toyota

I'm always worried one of my mates will pull a Top Gear if I had a car with keyless entry :lol: