Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Celica Gearbox Into A Corolla? (tsport)

essex2zz

Hi im a fully qualified toyota diagnosic tech so im quite comeptent (apart from my spelling).

Basicaly the story goes, i have an 02 plate Corolla zze123 (t-sport) on 124k miles. The gearbox went particulally noisy recently (loud "rumble" on overrun and bearing chatter in any gear or neutral whilst moving) so i decided to take it out the other day and strip it down, on doing so i found the usual thing of the gearoil being silver in colour where the top main shaft bearing has destroyed the middle casing and itself, the pinion gear has teeth missing and its not a separate part to the main shaft. So all in all the damage is a middle casing two bearings and a main shaft which cost even with my discount about £600.

So i have got a celica 6sp gearbox from a 1999 tsport which has only done 46k and has an aftermarket lsd in it of eBay for mega cheap. i thought iwas pretty much the same box but having compared part numbers at work it seems that the casing and mainshaft numbers are diffent which opens up a whole avenue of problems like will my clutch fit on the input shaft? will the driveshafts fit etc......

Soooo has anyone tried anything like this?

If you have both gearboxes, why dont you do some measuring on the saft. I would say they are the same. Celica gearbox has closer gear ratios.

Well i wont get the box till late next week so we'll have to see. i thought the boxes were identical but the part numbers of the middle casings dont match, its probo just a mount in a diffent place. ill let u know thanks

Well i have been ill all week so far :angry: so i am at home and the celica gearbox has turned up. i havent taken it 2 work where my car is to try bits on yet, but immediatley i have noticed the remote selector unit comes out of the other side of the housing :( everything else like mounts etc looks fine. so i jus have 2 get it 2 wrk tommoz and try the other selctor unit, driveshafts (check it acutally has an lsd) clutch plate

haha sucess! with a few mod's i.e had to swap the selector unit over, the reverse sensor the mounts and block up a hole (because the celica selector unit comes out of the front of the box). Its a much better gearbox before i was doing 80 mph in 6th doing just over 4k revs now its more like 3500 rpm. the lsd works pretty well, im not sure wat make its is as the seller was not very sure himself.

It looks like the box has never been split (still got the orignal red sealant visable) so did any of the early celica's come with lsd's? maybe a jap import or summit? does anyone know?

• 10 years later...

So the Corolla T sport Driveshafts fit I assume?, my corolla needs a Driveshaft but can't find one anywhere except for a guy whose breaking a 2zz celica so they must be the same... I hope. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links