Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Back Windscreen Wiper

Toyota3000

Hi

As the title states, everytime I try to let the water out of the nozzle, nothing comes out. It just makes a whirring sound. The front wipers are fine; the fluid comes out no problem, but it's the back one that I'm having trouble with.

Is there a separate section (under the bonnet) to add water/fluid for the back windscreen wiper ?

Thanks in advance :)

Hi

As the title states, everytime I try to let the water out of the nozzle, nothing comes out. It just makes a whirring sound. The front wipers are fine; the fluid comes out no problem, but it's the back one that I'm having trouble with.

Is there a separate section (under the bonnet) to add water/fluid for the back windscreen wiper ?

Thanks in advance :)

one bottle does front and back

The nozzle is probably blocked, try a clearing it with a pin.

The front and rear wipers use the same water bottle, It could be that the spray nozzle is blocked or that the pipe has become disconnected at the tailgate. ( a tell-tale sign is water leaking around the tailgate when operating the rear wash wipe)

Get someone to operate the rear wash/wipe while you investigate whether it's a blockage or a leak. Best of luck.

Thanks, guys.

Apparently, I 'whirred' the switch for about 5 seconds, then the water started to trickle down. Is it normal for nothing to happen (for about 5/6 seconds) before the water comes out ?

Thanks, guys.

Apparently, I 'whirred' the switch for about 5 seconds, then the water started to trickle down. Is it normal for nothing to happen (for about 5/6 seconds) before the water comes out ?

Mine takes a few sec's..but define trickle

Mine doesn't spurt out like the front but it more than trickles

Thanks, guys.

Yep, it's not like the front nozzles where it just shoots out. And when I say 'trickle', I don't mean a few drops; it's more like a leak. Is that normal ?

Yeah; Mines the same way - Have to hold it twisted for ages and eventually it just runs out in a rather pathetic sort of trickle.

I just assumed that's how it is on the Yaris. TBH both washer jets are badly designed; The nozzles are far too big to get a decent spray on either the front or back.

One of the few things where even my old Fiesta was better designed (When the fluid hose wasn't detaching itself from the jet and spraying inside the bonnet insulation anyway! :angry: )

I wonder if you can get replacement nozzles?

The Fiesta spray nozzle was a small bead instead of the stupid metal thing, and it was much easier to aim and didn't keep moving about on its own!

If it's not spraying out there could still be some sort of blockage. I had a similar thing on an older Corolla. As a couple of the other posts have recommended I'd take a pin to the nozzle head to try and free up anything there whilst someone else sits in the car and trys to operate the spray.

If the above doesn't work, something else I tried that definitely helped - if you can identify the pipe running from the reservoir to the rear washer disconnect it at an appropriate point and use a foot pump to pump some air through. A combination of that and the first approach ended up in some black gunk shooting over the rear screen swiftly followed by screen wash spraying out as expected for me - good luck!

• 1 year later...

Hi guys I have a 2004 Yaris 1L 5dr and I can't hear the motor running when I use the rear washer. One I'd say the motor pump for the rear is U/S and secondly how do you change the Washer Motor. Is it like the indicator bulb - take off the mud guard at front wheel??

Hi guys I have a 2004 Yaris 1L 5dr and I can't hear the motor running when I use the rear washer. One I'd say the motor pump for the rear is U/S and secondly how do you change the Washer Motor. Is it like the indicator bulb - take off the mud guard at front wheel??

This is an old thread and you have started a new one :)

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=128594

Thanks, guys.

Yep, it's not like the front nozzles where it just shoots out. And when I say 'trickle', I don't mean a few drops; it's more like a leak. Is that normal ?

I have encountered this problem. First mine is a 2005 Yaris the 'old' model. There are two pumps and you need to remove the offside front wheel and the wheelarch liner to gain access. However if the pump is whirring, go to the tailgate and locate the 'antidrain' or 'one way' valve, it may be in the tailgate or you may have to ease the headling down carefully to find it. When I disconnected this the water shot out of the pipe, could not see anything wrong with the valve, bought a new one from toyota around £13 fitted it and everything was fine afterwards. Hope this helps.

Regards Geoff Peace.

• 1 year later...