Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Help! Celica Gerbox Into Corolla?

essex2zz

Hi im a fully qualified toyota diagnosic tech so im quite comeptent (apart from my spelling).

Basicaly the story goes, i have an 02 plate Corolla zze123 (t-sport) on 124k miles. The gearbox went particulally noisy recently (loud "rumble" on overrun and bearing chatter in any gear or neutral whilst moving) so i decided to take it out the other day and strip it down, on doing so i found the usual thing of the gearoil being silver in colour where the top main shaft bearing has destroyed the middle casing and itself, the pinion gear has teeth missing and its not a separate part to the main shaft. So all in all the damage is a middle casing two bearings and a main shaft which cost even with my discount about £600.

So i have got a celica 6sp gearbox from a 1999 tsport which has only done 46k and has an aftermarket lsd in it of eBay for mega cheap. i thought iwas pretty much the same box but having compared part numbers at work it seems that the casing and mainshaft numbers are diffent which opens up a whole avenue of problems like will my clutch fit on the input shaft? will the driveshafts fit etc......

Soooo has anyone tried anything like this?

You can try the simple things like trying the clutch centre plate on the input shaft and the corolla driveshafts in the lsd to check the spline compatability

and insertion depth.

Would imagine the only external differences to the gearbox's would be the mounting points onto the vehicle.

If you have online access to tech.doc through work, you can check the ratio's etc for confirmation.

Mick

Yea i do realise this its just the new box wont come till end of the week, i was just wondering if anyone had acutally treid this and if it is too much problems ill cancell the order> oh yea the ratios are closer. nice ;)

Well i have been ill all week so far :( so i am at home and the celica gearbox has turned up. i havent taken it 2 work where my car is to try bits on yet, but immediatley i have noticed the remote selector unit comes out of the other side of the housing :( everything else like mounts etc looks fine. so i jus have 2 get it 2 wrk tommoz and try the other selctor unit, driveshafts (check it acutally has an lsd) clutch plate

haha sucess! with a few mod's i.e had to swap the selector unit over, the reverse sensor the mounts and block up a hole (because the celica selector unit comes out of the front of the box). Its a much better gearbox before i was doing 80 mph in 6th doing just over 4k revs now its more like 3500 rpm. the lsd works pretty well, im not sure wat make its is as the seller was not very sure himself.

It looks like the box has never been split (still got the orignal red sealant visable) so did any of the early celica's come with lsd's? maybe a jap import or summit? does anyone know?

i thought the ratios for the celica and corolla t sport were exactly the same? Could this different ratios = a different 0-60 time of is it just 6th gear? Why could they give the celica over the corolla a proper 6th gear also as surely the corolla would more likely as a medium family hatch be used for long distance journey apposed to a sports coupe?

I don't understand these things also...Anyway the celica gearbox is much weeker like the corolla.Which is a big problem when you use the car hard.

I don't understand these things also...Anyway the celica gearbox is much weeker like the corolla.Which is a big problem when you use the car hard.

have you busted your gearbox before then?

1 year ago my clutch cut my gearbox 1 year ago and i bought celica gearbox which is very thin when the gearbox and the engine join each other.So There is 2 long screws and they brake those screws...We need to weld that part.

QUOTE (szuti @ Oct 11 2009, 01:11 PM) *

"1 year ago my clutch cut my gearbox 1 year ago and i bought celica gearbox which is very thin when the gearbox and the engine join each other.So There is 2 long screws and they brake those screws...We need to weld that part."

- well you obviously know what your on about ahahaha.

i thought the ratios for the celica and corolla t sport were exactly the same? Could this different ratios = a different 0-60 time of is it just 6th gear? Why could they give the celica over the corolla a proper 6th gear also as surely the corolla would more likely as a medium family hatch be used for long distance journey apposed to a sports coupe?

Well thats wat i thought too but it aint. all the gears seem longer when ragging at around town

QUOTE (szuti @ Oct 11 2009, 01:11 PM) *

"1 year ago my clutch cut my gearbox 1 year ago and i bought celica gearbox which is very thin when the gearbox and the engine join each other.So There is 2 long screws and they brake those screws...We need to weld that part."

- well you obviously know what your on about ahahaha.

What's your problem?

I raced a lot with the car so that's why is damaged.It's all.You think it's funny to show pictures from !Removed! people???

If you think it's me i hope your son will be the same guy like on the picture if you can make a son:-) hahaha

• 2 weeks later...

What's your problem?

I raced a lot with the car so that's why is damaged.It's all.You think it's funny to show pictures from !Removed! people???

If you think it's me i hope your son will be the same guy like on the picture if you can make a son:-) hahaha

Hmm i see you have bought a dictionary. Did you get someone to read it for you? You still need to learn how to write a sentance though "It's all" doesnt make sense.

How do you know i dont race my car? i do and my gearbox never split in half

**IT MAYBE YOU THAT NEEDS THE DICTIONARY.............http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence...........TO HELP YOU SPELL CORRECTLY!**

No need for that. Reported.

***PLEASE DO NOT POST PICTURES WHICH CAN BE SEEN AS OFFENSIVE TO MANY MEMBERS**

That was way out of line essex 2zz! :angry::no:

Good on you Tsporter for the report.

I'm not usually like this with arguments, but you just made it so offensive bringing irrelevant things in to the equation....

Sorry Guys i didn't want to hurt anybody but a don't think i'm !Removed! if my english is not the same like yours...

Next time i'll try to understand better your replies.Sorry again.

Anyway i heard from my mechanist the celica tsport and corolla tsport C60 transmission is not the strongest transmission what toyota made and not enough for 192 and more HP.Just to show You why my transmission is used.

Essex2zz do you use your car in this level or you just do some dragracing 2-3 times a summer???:

Anyway i heard from my mechanist the celica tsport and corolla tsport C60 transmission is not the strongest transmission what toyota made and not enough for 192 and more HP.Just to show You why my transmission is used.

Essex2zz do you use your car in this level or you just do some dragracing 2-3 times a summer???:

Well your "mechanist" is a clever :censor: because if thats your car in the vids then its 215bhp and the gearbox has differnt gears/ratios inside it again. Dont forget im a teccy, i come on here for one bit of technical advice and dont get any help.

Edited by kimi
been warned before STOP the personal insults
  • Haha 1

Reported.... again

There is no need for personal insults...

It was to my understanding that the TTE compressor only had a few modifications, super charger, different ecu setup, new alloys, twin exhaust and a different suspension setup.

I'm sure some of the knowledgable compressor owners will be able to fill you in.

Essex, just take it easy there - you seem to be flaming where there is no need. Szutis english is very good by our standards, I for one cant speak Hungarian and i'm sure your the same.

If you are a diagnostic tech you should have some knowledge yourself! his car may be 215bhp but he has the same gearbox dopey!

now who feels like a fool! you could have got your answer quicker on wikipedia genius!!!!

Essex2zz When i saw your topic celica gearbox into corolla i thought i can help You!Cause i had problem with mine about too much racing.My tsport was a standard tsport without compressor.I put my compressor may in 2009 and started my gearbox problem after that about too much torque.That's why i needed to buy a cheap celica gearbox,but that was a little bit old.Anyway my mechanist fixed the problem and he put the celica TS longer 6th gear in my car so i can use my car in 140km/h when i use the car in longer trips in legally speed limit and the rpm is 3800.If you check standard Tsport at that speed thet will be 4400 rpm.So i can save money at the petrol:-))

So corolla ts,corolla ts compressor uses c60 transmission and i think celica ts also with longer 6th gear.The Corolla ts and celica ts gearbox isn't the same,but that's fit for your car,just watch out with the thin part of the gearbox.If you race a lot same damage can happen.I hope I can help you.

Reported.... again

There is no need for personal insults...

You are gay

You need to seriously re-think your attitude...