Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shocked By Shocks

D Winter

Hi All,

Not posted on here for a long time, but my wife and I still have our 2006 Rav4 XT3 and have been very pleased with it over the last two years. Well that was until the last few days when it hit 3 years old and needed an MOT.

A little history, previously it's got a full service history with our local Toyota dealer. Last year when it was in for it's intermediate service I thought it was very pricey and wasn't sure if I was going to use Toyota for the next one. While it was in last year it had a water pump leak fixed, and also the front discs were re-skimmed and new brake pads fitted (all under warranty). I thought this was both good and bad. Good that is was all done under warranty, but bad that it needed doing at all (I thought Toyota had a bullet proof reliability reputation).

Anyway, since my brother-in-law owns a car dealership that also provides service & MOT work, I decided it would be good to put the business his way. I was shocked to hear (no pun intended) that it failed it's MOT due to the rear shocks both leaking badly. The Rav is only just out of warranty (25-09-09) and I kind of wish I'd taken it to Toyota before it expired, but I don't know if the shocks would have been covered under warranty. I certainly wouldn't have thought that a 3 year old car with less than average mileage (34,000) would need it's rear shocks replacing. It wasn't hugely expensive to replace them, but I feel let down if I'm honest. Am I being unreasonable? Is it worth writing a letter of complaint to Toyota about this or would I be wasting my time?

Would be interesting to hear anyone who works for Toyota's thoughts on this, Parts King still does right?

Well I would have said take it to another MOT center, as this is a common failure for those places that want to make a quick buck. i.e. cheap MOT`s but they always fail you on brakes/pads/shocker etc. but as The MOT center was your brother in laws, you should have an honest opinion there. did you actually see the shocks your self? I does suprise me that they are leaking on a newish car.

The problem is that the failure will be logged on the national computer database.

I would phone Toyota Customer Relations and tell them what has happened (make an excuse like your wife took the car in your absence and didn't know to go to Toyota but you are willing to go now). Your stance should be that the shockers must have been leaking prior to the 3 years as they could not have done so since (or it is most unlikely) In other words, they haven't sprung a leak over night and it is characteristic for shockers to "weep" over a period of time.

Phone 01737 363633

but as The MOT center was your brother in laws, you should have an honest opinion there. did you actually see the shocks your self? I does suprise me that they are leaking on a newish car.

Don't worry I fully trust my brother-in-law. I do a lot of IT work at his garage and he is 100% trustworthy (we look after each other). I also know the head of servicing and fully trust him also. I was shown the shocks after they had come off, one was leaking quite a bit and the other was also, but to a lesser extent.

I would phone Toyota Customer Relations and tell them what has happened (make an excuse like your wife took the car in your absence and didn't know to go to Toyota but you are willing to go now). Your stance should be that the shockers must have been leaking prior to the 3 years as they could not have done so since (or it is most unlikely) In other words, they haven't sprung a leak over night and it is characteristic for shockers to "weep" over a period of time.

I guess they would want me to bring the old shocks to them or something? I guess they would still be at the garage, I could also get the failed MOT print out as well. Would Toyota want me to do anything in particular if I ring them do you think?

The problem is that the failure will be logged on the national computer database.

www.motinfo.gov.uk

I'm always banging the drum a bit on this subject but if there is one thing you should always do is take your car to a Toyota dealer BEFORE the warranty expires. You have a 3 year 60K warranty, not 3 years plus a few days or miles. It is VERY difficult to get any goodwill if you go over 3 years, it wont help the cause that you didnt take it to a Toyota dealer for the MOT either.

By all means see if you can get any goodwill out of it, but goodwill works both ways, taking it to a dealer would be seen as goodwill to Toyota on your behalf

It is so much easier to get things replaced if you are IN warranty, leaking shock absorbers would be covered. ALWAYS get your car looked over by a dealer BEFORE you go over 3 years 60K miles

Kingo :thumbsup:

I'm always banging the drum a bit on this subject but if there is one thing you should always do is take your car to a Toyota dealer BEFORE the warranty expires. You have a 3 year 60K warranty, not 3 years plus a few days or miles. It is VERY difficult to get any goodwill if you go over 3 years, it wont help the cause that you didnt take it to a Toyota dealer for the MOT either.

By all means see if you can get any goodwill out of it, but goodwill works both ways, taking it to a dealer would be seen as goodwill to Toyota on your behalf

It is so much easier to get things replaced if you are IN warranty, leaking shock absorbers would be covered. ALWAYS get your car looked over by a dealer BEFORE you go over 3 years 60K miles

If what you say is true Kingo, then I'm not sure it's worth bothering. I intended to take it to Toyota before the warranty expired, but have been so busy with work that it slipped my mind. When I actually thought to check the date of first registration, it was literally the day after it's 3 year birthday.

As for goodwill working both ways, Toyota have had plenty their way as far as I'm concerned. We have had 2 cars (both of which cost us a lot of money) from two Toyota main dealers over the last four years. We've also had several services at said dealers, but this time around I knew it would be costly and couldn't justify the very high labour charges. My last service was nearly £300 quid with them, and it amounted to an oil and filter change ...

I guess I'll have to chalk it down to experience, but it's definitely going to make me think twice about wether or not we stick with Toyota when we come to swap the Rav. Thanks for the advice anyway, it's good to hear from someone who's definitely in the know.

Dear Kingo

My RAV number 1 has just cooked its clutch. The car is only 15 years old. It will need another more uprated clutch to handle the 400bhp put out by the TOYOTA 3SGTE - surely just doing 1/4 mile drag starts shouldn't affect things so much? I'll try getting some goodwill compensation dya think? Toyota just don't seem to build the quality in nowadays :wacko: :wacko: I mean, I bought a pair of Toyota Wiper Blades from you just this year.......

Sorry if my reply sounded harsh (it wasnt meant to) but I know how the system for out of warranty repairs works. Toyota would want the dealer AND the customer to chip in before they offer anything themselves, it's even tougher getting any goodwill in a recession :yes: but you might get something back

Dear Kingo

My RAV number 1 has just cooked its clutch. The car is only 15 years old. It will need another more uprated clutch to handle the 400bhp put out by the TOYOTA 3SGTE - surely just doing 1/4 mile drag starts shouldn't affect things so much? I'll try getting some goodwill compensation dya think? Toyota just don't seem to build the quality in nowadays :wacko: :wacko: I mean, I bought a pair of Toyota wiper blades from you just this year.......

I can only assume you are taking the ***** out of what I have said? (If I'm misinterpreting your sarcasm, then feel free to correct me). I have spent over 30 grand on two Toyota's in the last 4 years. The Rav I'm complaining about is 'just' 3 years old, and has done less than average mileage. The most off-roading it's done since we bought it is bumping up the occasional kerb.

If I was complaining about a cheap consumable part like wipers, I'd expect to have the ***** taken. Or if I'd ragged the ***** out of the car and done 100k miles in it, I wouldn't have batted an eyelid at the problem, but that clearly isn't the case.

Do I love our Rav still? Course I do, it's been a fantastic car and we intend to keep it for a good while longer. Am I dissapointed that 3 different things have failed on the car within 3 years? You bet ya, and it makes me wonder about Toyota build quailty and reliability, that's all.

Sorry if my reply sounded harsh (it wasnt meant to) but I know how the system for out of warranty repairs works. Toyota would want the dealer AND the customer to chip in before they offer anything themselves, it's even tougher getting any goodwill in a recession :yes: but you might get something back

Not at all mate, didn't sound harsh. It's kinda what I expected really, I guess I'm just venting a bit. :) Had to replace the two front tyres as well as the other work, and the bill was over £500 all said and done. It's wiped me out this month and I'm sulking. :)

And I misunderstood as well because I didn't realise the job had been done and the car was just logged so far as failed. In this case I also doubt that they would do anything to redress the situation and is some ways you can understand that as you never gave them the option.

Bothy has a dry sense of humour that has been misunderstood several times. I hope this is the case and he will give you some reassurance soon.

I can tell you that I believe we have had no shock absorber defects reported on 4.3s so you have either been unlucky or you are giving us the first "heads up" on this subject. Try and look in a bit more often as we sometimes get the low down on extended warranties and campaigns that might help you out in the future.

I know your BIL is trustworthy but he has let you down a bit because he should have known better than at least advising you of the option of contacting the dealer before he set about changing anything on a car in for its first test. Most cars have a 3 year warranty these days.

Keep your chin up mate, you still have a first rate car.

Cheers

in my weird way, I was trying to mock T for selling a car with crap shock absorbers. I've read a lot in this forum over the past couple of years and the build quality of the 4.3 just is nowhere near the 4.1 quality.

I guess you have no chance of recovering anything - pretty much like many companies nowadays.

The 4.1 drivetrain is good for 350bhp - no way will you find such over-engineering now though. I'm not mocking your plight - its pretty hard luck to have 2 shockers go at such an early age....my 1994 shocks didn't get replaced until more than 100,000 miles were passed.

As for the clutch, yes its true - it did get cooked today. And only less than 3000 miles since the last one. But then a nutter like me thrashing a car will expect breakage and wear - a nice chap like you using a car well within its limits should expect soooooooooooo much more than you've had. At the very least, I'd send the shocks off to Toyota to ask for an opinion. I have done this with brake discs and pads that I paid a lot of money for - £600 - and I don't rest until I get some sort of logical answer.... you should do the same!

in my weird way, I was trying to mock T for selling a car with crap shock absorbers. I've read a lot in this forum over the past couple of years and the build quality of the 4.3 just is nowhere near the 4.1 quality.

I guess you have no chance of recovering anything - pretty much like many companies nowadays.

The 4.1 drivetrain is good for 350bhp - no way will you find such over-engineering now though. I'm not mocking your plight - its pretty hard luck to have 2 shockers go at such an early age....my 1994 shocks didn't get replaced until more than 100,000 miles were passed.

As for the clutch, yes its true - it did get cooked today. And only less than 3000 miles since the last one. But then a nutter like me thrashing a car will expect breakage and wear - a nice chap like you using a car well within its limits should expect soooooooooooo much more than you've had. At the very least, I'd send the shocks off to Toyota to ask for an opinion. I have done this with brake discs and pads that I paid a lot of money for - £600 - and I don't rest until I get some sort of logical answer.... you should do the same!

Sorry mate, I was just having a bad day and thought you were having a go, thanks for the advice.