Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Cleaning

gus

hi peeps,

just a quickie to get your teeth into.......

what's the best and cheapest way for me to clean my engine.......not internally but on the outside so it looks good...........

for those who have been following the sarga of the old girl........ now got a new alternator on her and am having the valve seals replaced next week........

so before you ask Jerry i'll answer the next question too YES I'M KEEPING HER!!!!!!!!

The MKIV is still on the cards but wnat to get the old girl sorted first.............

so any ideas peeps.....is there something i can just spray allover the block etc and then just jet wash off or anything else you can suggest would be appreciated.....

thanks mates.... :thumbsup: :group-cuddles:

U can buy Auto Glym engine and machine cleaner!!! My dad got a bottle 4 his christmas but he's not used it yet but i can c it being good as products from Auto Glym tend 2 be top quality!!!

Cheers :thumbsup:

Hi gus i use some undiluted traffic film remover i get it from Autosmart. just put it in a spray bottle give the engine a good spray and jet it off at the local petrol station jet wash works a treat . they also sell some stuff called G101 which also works well

thanks fellas thats exactly what i was looking for a quick easy solution.......as you will probebly know if you have followed the sarga this is the third engine thats gone into the old girl and as you can emagine by the time i got round to fitting the third one the idea of clean hands and not getting oil and sh :censor: te all over the block and pipes extra went right out the window :thumbsup::eek:

Good question, I was thinking about doing mine sometime, If I coverup the intakes, electrics etc, is it really safe to get in there with a 'misting' type power washer spray?

Be wary of a jet wash... mate of mine cleaned it with a jet wash..ended up costing a fortune. due to the water getting into the electrics....knackered the ECU.. and ignition.

Don't know about anyone else...but a little grime in the engine bay does wonders.

If you want to keep it clean...then do so regularly...and with patience, and keep water out of the equation.

Vipes

Be wary of a jet wash... mate

Was thinking the same thing but wasnt sure.........some body onece mentioned to me that steam cleaning was possibility anybosy know anything about it or how much it costs etc :thumbsup:

i use my mates steam cleaner but set on very hot and use a trickle of TFR in the water.

also put a plastic bag over the airfilter and cover any vital electronics ie, fuse box......

it depends mate... is all the paint and finish sound????

if it IS.. you can use a degreaser and evena vague petrolly rag... then I use screwfix exterior trim cleaner to clean it up.. it takes time.. but it works.. I get many coments on my engine bay :)

to take it a stage further I STONGLY reccomend polishing it.. youll need to sand off the casting dimples forst and use the resoration kit. 9/10 people that lift my bonnet say the same word...

"wow"

I don't like max power blue hoses (if samco made a kit for my car, I'd order black) -from lookign at the pics of your car you like the no nonscence proper modified car look ;)

some pics :)

http://www.suprasonic.co.uk/supra/1G-GTE.jpg

http://www.suprasonic.co.uk/pics/shine.jpg

please accept my pics are very much "work in progress" soon it'll be immaculate :) but I hope it gives you an idea!!!

i always just spray truck wash on mine then jet wash it off neva had no probs so far but the cars new ive done it 3 or 4 times now, but i kno of people who did it to old cars and had head gaskets go or splutering

i have herd from a friend that if you clean your engine then take your car to a paint depo you get your engine clear coated and then the dirt wont be so hard to get off the engine in the future but i dont know how accurate and true this is but it would be cool if it worked so you should try it and see wat happenes B)

usually find it looks good till the clear coat yellows with the heat then it just looks a mess :crybaby:

Just give it a wipe every now and again.. works for me.. about 3 times a year it gets a good brasso-ing :lol:

apply 'Gunk' liberally with a stiff brush and then just rinse it off.... easy, no fuss, do it in the road though as it makes a right mess on the floor... it can be hosed away though.