Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Bulb Change

thebinos

Hi folks. my Aygo headlight bulb has just blown and trying to change the thing is getting very frustrating.

I've managed to get the connector off and the rubber cover but trying to release the bulb retaining spring

is proving difficult. The fact that there isn't much room to play with doesn't help.

Anyone done this recently?? i'm hoping someone can offer me a some advice on what initially looked a fairly

easy job. don't want to have to go to Mr T and end up being charged the earth.

:( help please!!!! :(

After a few years of messing with vehicles, it's second nature.

Do a search on google pics for "H4 bulb replacement"

or "H4 bulb spring" you might get a better image in your head of what wants to be done.

Also try YouTube

I found this......Watch from about 1:20

It's for a BMW bike, but it shows exactly what you need.

Hope this helps.

Ian.

I changed my light bulb on my Aygo 2 weeks aygo. It took me about 30 mins to work out how its done.

1 Yes, please remove the connecting plug to the bulb. Remove the connector and hold it by the uniot itself, and not the wires as you risk pulling out your wires from the connector.

2 The Toyota handbook states you then remove the rubber seal. the seal itself is just a big rubber ring, and it can come off. Remove it slowly, and by pulling at diferent sides of the rubber ring. If you just pull it off on one side, you risk ripping the rubber.

This is the tricky bit!

3 After the seal comes off. There is a small latch at the TOP if the light. You cant see it but can vaguely feel it. You have to have small hands to do this. If you look at the manual it tells you to push in a bit, and then move the latch. The latch can then be pulled back to allow the bulb to be removed.

It took me 30 minutes to work out how to remove the bulb. Out of all 8 cars I ve driving in my driving career. lol. I have to say the Toyota is the trickiest.

Hope this helps :D

It's for a BMW bike, but it shows exactly what you need.

I'm sorry, but that movie is no help at all, as the Aygo has a different retaining clip.

You don't pinch, but push it in, then slide to the side.

Here's a photo series I took on a lightunit from an Aygo I have lying around:

H4.jpg

Hope this helps you visualise the "problem"...

• Like 1

did it. once i worked out how to do it, it only took 5mins. the mirror tip was a good one and those pics helped too.

:) thank you all very much. :)

I've been busy at work and stuff, else the pic would have bene up sooner :D

• 5 months later...

I had to replace my headlamp bulb today and agree it was the most difficult replacement I've had to do, I stuggled to get the connector off and after sometime went on to attempt to remove the clip which in hindsight was a mistake but I though in attempting to remove (wiggle) the connector that I was going to do some damage to the clip/housing - I should of trusted that it was strong enough to cope with it. The above pic was a great help in feeling the direction I had to move the clip in. Took 30mins to remove the old bulb and a minute to fit the new one.

Looking at the manusl it advises that for the front indicators that you get a professional to replace them, why design something that would need this just to replace a bulb - I read the write up on this site but looking on my car didn't follow it, does anything one have photos of this replacement process

http://www.aygoclub.co.uk/aygo-how-to.php?How-to-change-the-Indicator-Light-bulbs-on-the-Aygo-1

• 10 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old topic but I just replaced both my Aygo bulbs in about 20 minutes thanks to this thread. Just wanted to say 'Thank you' to the people who posted on here, it was a tremendous help.

Also here's a few tips:

To remove the electrical connector I found it easiest to grip the top and bottom sides of it and wiggle it off. It's pretty sturdy, don't worry about it breaking.

To remove the rubber seal it's a large plastic ring and a smaller plastic ring connecter by a rubber/silicon 'funnel'. Don't just pull the larger ring in one place. Pull a bit in different places around the edges.

As you lean over the front or side of the car the clip release is at the top (nearest) and the hinge is at the bottom (furthest) from you. The clip is a thick metal wire. Feel your way to the top of it and push HARD as you can and then to the side.

To re-attach the rubber seal I found it easiest to sit the smaller ring inside the large one, put a finger in the smaller one and use that to guide you over the connector. Then re-attach the large rubber ring*

Cheers and good luck!

* I realise this is fraught with double-entendres but we're all adults on here. Aren't we? ;)

It's pain in the a** to change them because there is not much room to squeze your head and have a look what you're doing. I changed OS one recently and was using one of those tiny dental care mirrors in the process. It can be quite painful for your fingers too!

• 9 months later...

Hi!

I need some help.... I can push the clip but I cant slide it to the side! Is it to the left or right? Im changing the left headlight (facing the car), or the right one if you are sitting in the car.

Please help before I totally destroy my fingers!

• 1 month later...

I've done it today huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhh, last time I dismantled the hole front, but not this time because of all the advise I got from here!

Kudos to all contributers, you are awesome!!

Here is the trick:

Main tool is the mirror, a flashlight helps too. In order not to scratch my hands I used a big screwdriver (if you do, it's on your own risk!) for getting the plug off. Pop and it was gone, same for the big rubber lip, now I put the mirror in and saw how I had to push the clamp away, klong! gone too. :yahoo:

Due to my brutality the wire clamp was a little bit disshaped :eek: so it took a bit longer put that stuff together, but after some 10 minutes the hole nightmare came to an end. :toast:

So, it is fiddly but never surrender, take your time and a deep breath and you'll master it!

Cheers from Berlin/Germany

P.S.: @pureplay, I did the other side and thus cannot answer your question, just use a mirror and you'll know it.

• 3 weeks later...

Besides the tip allready contributed by others, I would like to add a few of my own. I have finally managed to change the bulbs to Philips xtreme power today. I had tried a few times before but without luck. My problems were that the connector plug on the right side was stuck and I had to grip it with a plier like instrument to wiggle it out. I finally succeeded and now I have applied some vaseline to the connector points so that the next time it will pop out when pulled. My second problem was that having seen the wire clip with a mirror, I was unable to first press in and then push it to my left to release it. It is a very hard spring and I was about to bleed from my fingers. I then bent a strip of metal ( handle of a spoon) in to a "L" shape and using the short leg of the "L" against the wire clip pushed it in and to my left. I could apply pressure without damaging my fingers and it worked. The metal clip left it's seat and could be folded down to remove the bulb. After removing the old bulb, reattaching the new one was very easy. Just push the clip back in place with your finger, the wire clip will fall in place. Don't forget to apply some vaseline to the connector so that the next time it will come out easily. save the vaseline bit for the last step because you do not want to get it on the bulb. I always wipe the bulb with spirit before mounting it.

When it comes to the bulb change on the side where there is the car Battery, just loosen the Battery holding nut slightly and move the Battery by about a few inches towards the centre of the car and re-tighten the bolt. That way you get some more space for your hands.

Just been out with the car in the pitch dark Swedish winter night (no snow, just wet dark road) and what a difference compared to the earlier Philips ordinary H4 bulbs. These Philips xtreme Power H4 are really something. Now I could see the road for the first time at night. I did not expect so much of a difference between the two bulbs from the same company. The ordinary Philips bulbs were put in the car by the Toyota dealer in 2010. I did not know that Philips made such cheap/bad bulbs. They were worse than the Philips Premium.

• 1 year later...

What an absolute ball ache. Still managed to sort it after 40 mins for the first one and about 2 mins for the second one.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate it.

Clip.

• 7 months later...

My previous pair of GE megalight H4, 90% blew yesterday (less than one year of use) and this time I changed them to Philips ecovision H4 and having had previous practice it took only 20 min to change the two bulbs. The ecovision should be good enough for atleast 50000 Km according to Philips site and they are quite bright!.

• 1 year later...

I've done this before and as others have said, it's fiddly and took me thirty minutes. I went out today to replace my headlamp bulbs with Cobalt 2 upgraded ones for the winter. It's cold and raining here and after five minutes trying to pull off the wiring connectors my 'too-big' fingers were so stiff with cold that I gave up for now - simply cleaned the headlamp covers instead. Will do this another day now as I've run out of time and have to go to work. How can such a simple process be so awkward?

Has anyone tried removing the front bumper/panel and unbolting the headlamps units from the car to do this? I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra work to be able to get clear access to the back of the headlamps?

(On my Ford Mondeo Mk3 there are two vertical metal bars that hold the headlamp in place. Simply slide these out and lift the light unit forwards out of the car. It makes the job so simple! Frustrating that Ford can make a routine replacement simple but Toyota make it a struggle!.

Update- Having just read the posts from Puddingfahrer and Rajivrattna, it seems with their advice it's probably going to be easier to persevere. Like the idea of using tools to lever the plugs off and the spring clip to the side - also Vaseline on the terminals (and clip?) to make future changes easier. Thanks guys!

I would not apply vaseline on the clip for two reasons. Firstly you might get some of that vaseline on the bulb by mistake (too fiddly and too little space, mistakes happen) and secondly you do not want that metal wire clip holding the bulb suddenly hopping off from its catch. Vaseline on the contact pins of the bulb is ok.

@Oldpeddaller I took the bumper off to fit some HID's. Easy enough but to be honest. It'll take the same amount of time and you've gotta get underneath the car to undo the bolts.

I wouldn't even bother. Just persevere

• 1 year later...

Hi to those who might need some extra help (especially if you can't remove the connector !!!).

I did this a different way because I couldn't remove the connector, which was stuck and it is the very first thing that you need to do of course.

So I loosely pulled back the rubber cover, reached in at the top and pressed "down & in" on the retaining clip until it released (having slightly jiggled it from side to side).

With the clip released, the bulb can then move freely in the headlamp assembly, to some extent.

Then I managed to release the bulb by twisting it from side to side, so that the bulb and bulb holder came free through the clip.

Having established the method, I changed the bulb in 2 - 3 minutes.

Again, if you look at the pictures above, you can see how the clip sits in the housing.

Actually replacing the bulb was straight forward - just look how it sits when you take out the faulty one and fit the new bulb in the same way.

I used a plastic glove from a petrol station to hold the new bulb so that I didn't have any direct contact with the bulb.

I hope that helps someone.

Cheers, Peter..

• 4 years later...

Yes. My wife's Aygo blew a lamp recently.

I knew from previous experience how aggravating a job this is, so I took the front bumper off to have full access on the headlights.

Far easier for the fingers!

And while you have it off, replace both sides, because if you blow a lamp, most of the time the other goes 2 weeks later. 👿

Bumper off is easy on the Aygo, 45 minutes job for both lamps and bumper replacement..

On 11/30/2020 at 3:01 PM, Rockfish said:

Hi anyone changed mk.2 headlight bulb?

Yes - changed mine for Toyota Optiwhites. Easy and no need to remove the bumper.

• Like 1