Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Camry Uk Info

beurling

Hi all

I own 2 lovely and increasingly rare UK model Camry V6 Sport's

the cars have been a joy and a pleasure to own... ( We have one white and one burgundy )

These cars do have certain quirks however and has any other owners noticed that help and info aswell as fellow owners info

is almost completely absent on the web???

I'd like to think we can change this....whilst the Camry has always sold well in the States amongst others in the UK it is a rare sight.

I want us to be able to atleast be able to discuss problems and experiences with our cars in such a way that we can build a good knowledge base

not only of issues with the cars....but places to get cheap parts and any modifications that people do etc....

I have a fair few ideas for my Own cars and having owned one for 7 years now a fair bit of experience with them too.

The white one is a little shabby so I hope to be taking lots of photos and posting up the "minting up" progress along with what I have done, where I have done it and how much it has cost.

I often wonder how many of these cars are being lost to the scrappage scream ( an abomination in my opinion...)

I will give a good example...

Our red car....is a 1999 Sport V6...Lovely looking car....it has some marks on some of the panels and the bonnet and bumper really need respraying and the front lip spoiler has countless times pretty much been destroyed.....but she polishes up beautifully ( I will insert some piccies later ) and witht he addition of some good quality wheels and bigger tyres to protect the rims she looks very fetching.

Other things done.....HID headlamp kit....Sony MP3/Bluetooth head unit....recently changed all strut top mounds and front and rear bushings ( yes the ubiquitous camry squeak and grind )....also they munch brakes for some reason so got new discs and pads plus a fluid change.....she has a leaky power steering pump but it isnt major so just gets topped up occassionally...air con regassed...full top end rebuild and head gasket kit....at the same time new belt, tensioners and plugs ( seemed a good idea while it was all in bits... ).followed up with complete engine flush with flushing oil then filling with fresh Shell helix oil.

Now i dunno theres probably about 1800 quids work there....

now some people would say it is bonkers to spend that much money on a 10 year old car with 110k on the clock thats worth..i dunno maybe 1300 to 1500 quid??? ( correct me on value if you want..that's part of the reason for the post to try and get good info from the uk camry community )...but i dissagree..the car has been ultra reliable....as all the toys one really needs...is comfortable..looks that little bit difference and is solid quality....

now i could take this to a main dealer ...and they would give me the 2k scrappage allowance...and then...scrap the car???? in my mind this is a disgrace!!!!! this car has 10 more years trouble free motoring in my opinion and probably more if properly looked after ( we do 4500k miles or 6 monthly oil changes with every second a service...and this includes diff and gearbox oil changes )

anyway..i digress..lets get some opinions and views and maybe even some hellos and see if we cant get abit more camry related stuff going? :)

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish4.jpg

finish5.jpg

osfdoorshut.jpg

these are the only pics i could find of the head gasket change....but it is not a particularly easy job!

IMGP1708.jpg

IMGP1709.jpg

IMGP1707.jpg

IMGP1706.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum

Camry were certainly a great car without doubt, but it was far too expensive a car for the UK market as most were imported from Japan or Kentucky, and at the time, were subject to import restrictions

As for the scrappage scheme, it does have it's downfalls, but at a time of an economic depression, there would be no other way of generating 300,000 new car sales, and indeed an extension of a further 100,000 cars just being announced, by any other method. Like it or not, the motor trade is one of the major employers in the UK if you take in car production through to vehicle servicing and accident repair work. There will always be an argument (green or otherwise) for either keeping or scrapping old cars, but I doubt the country will ever agree if it is right or not

Kingo :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
Hi all

I own 2 lovely and increasingly rare UK model Camry V6 Sport's

the cars have been a joy and a pleasure to own... ( We have one white and one burgundy )

These cars do have certain quirks however and has any other owners noticed that help and info aswell as fellow owners info

is almost completely absent on the web???

I'd like to think we can change this....whilst the Camry has always sold well in the States amongst others in the UK it is a rare sight.

I want us to be able to atleast be able to discuss problems and experiences with our cars in such a way that we can build a good knowledge base

not only of issues with the cars....but places to get cheap parts and any modifications that people do etc....

I have a fair few ideas for my Own cars and having owned one for 7 years now a fair bit of experience with them too.

The white one is a little shabby so I hope to be taking lots of photos and posting up the "minting up" progress along with what I have done, where I have done it and how much it has cost.

I often wonder how many of these cars are being lost to the scrappage scream ( an abomination in my opinion...)

I will give a good example...

Our red car....is a 1999 Sport V6...Lovely looking car....it has some marks on some of the panels and the bonnet and bumper really need respraying and the front lip spoiler has countless times pretty much been destroyed.....but she polishes up beautifully ( I will insert some piccies later ) and witht he addition of some good quality wheels and bigger tyres to protect the rims she looks very fetching.

Other things done.....HID headlamp kit....Sony MP3/Bluetooth head unit....recently changed all strut top mounds and front and rear bushings ( yes the ubiquitous camry squeak and grind )....also they munch brakes for some reason so got new discs and pads plus a fluid change.....she has a leaky power steering pump but it isnt major so just gets topped up occassionally...air con regassed...full top end rebuild and head gasket kit....at the same time new belt, tensioners and plugs ( seemed a good idea while it was all in bits... ).followed up with complete engine flush with flushing oil then filling with fresh shell helix oil.

Now i dunno theres probably about 1800 quids work there....

now some people would say it is bonkers to spend that much money on a 10 year old car with 110k on the clock thats worth..i dunno maybe 1300 to 1500 quid??? ( correct me on value if you want..that's part of the reason for the post to try and get good info from the uk camry community )...but i dissagree..the car has been ultra reliable....as all the toys one really needs...is comfortable..looks that little bit difference and is solid quality....

now i could take this to a main dealer ...and they would give me the 2k scrappage allowance...and then...scrap the car???? in my mind this is a disgrace!!!!! this car has 10 more years trouble free motoring in my opinion and probably more if properly looked after ( we do 4500k miles or 6 monthly oil changes with every second a service...and this includes diff and gearbox oil changes )

anyway..i digress..lets get some opinions and views and maybe even some hellos and see if we cant get abit more camry related stuff going? :)

finish1.jpg

finish2.jpg

finish4.jpg

finish5.jpg

osfdoorshut.jpg

these are the only pics i could find of the head gasket change....but it is not a particularly easy job!

IMGP1708.jpg

IMGP1709.jpg

IMGP1707.jpg

IMGP1706.jpg

Hi

My Camry eats up front brake pads at an an alarming rate don't know why .. I've recentally had new discs, pads etc done and sprayed a heat repellent red paint this sort of helps in the long run they don't rust up on the edges at all .. so thats something to consider.

Also a front strut bar since I've had it installed, my car feels alot better on sharper corners and coutry roads..

question .. how did you manage to bring out such a shine in such a old car, looking at the pictures the car looks absolutley amazing.. you can't it 10 years old..

How would you change diff and gear box oil ?

All Camry's rattle they feel like they going to fall apart, every pot hole is a nightmare, but thats how the camry is .. its always been designed for long straight smooth roads where ride comfort is at its peek. Take an camry to a long smooth road and you'll be amazed at how quite it is.. even if it rattles on normal pot hole roads.

IMG_0855.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

• 2 years later...

Hi there, I bought mine from my brother in June and paid 1000 for his P reg car, 1996 V6 3.0. According to ToyoDIY my car is a MCV20R-AEPGKW, that designation is direct from the VIN number. she has done 103 thou, 4 thou since june. She just failed her mot on NS rear suspension arm outer bush and the rear anti role bar bushes are shot. Anyone got any idea of can the suspension arm bushes can be replaced, or is it a full arm replacement?

For a car that is 16 years old, and still on original cat's these are the emissions values. engine speed 235-2650 rpm CO 0.082% permitted 0.300%, HC 200 ppm measured 17ppm, lambda 0.013% permitted between 0.970 - 1.030. Engine speed 600-800 rpm co 0.013% permitted 0.500% Passed in all areas.So get the bushes done good for a while yet.

All leather (grey) interior, full electric seats, climate control. Just got one problem and I am buggered to find the answer. In an act of frustration with my dog(Irish Golden Retriever) that has this ability to ignore you when it suits, I chucked my bunch of keys at the wall. as they left my hand I thought SH*T the remote!!! crash, picked up keys and case damaged hit the buttons one at a time tell tale light worked ok. Out to car press unlock okay no problem car cycled unlock. so just pressed Lock and arm. car locks and armed alarm.

Two hours later I go out go to unlock car with remote it has stopped working, changed the Battery try again to re program hold both buttons for between 2-10 second light flashes the hit unlock and the key should be reprogrammed. uh uh. Wouldn't unlock, use key in door alarm goes off, no matter what I do the transmitter doesn't want to work.So I disabled the alarm under the bonnette puld the wire plug on the siren. no problem can start car as normal. So I bought another fob of a RAV4 with the same part number as mine two button it's a carbon copy. But no matter what I do to try and reprogram the system to accept the new fob nada.

Any one had these troubles? and got them fixed. So like your cars I like mine too.

• 4 months later...

hmm the red camry is looking very nice, the car is pretty clean. but both of you need to change the location for shoot out. But this is a good effort. Anyhow thanks for sharing the photos. I will wait for some more good photos and hope you will share them soon.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi

I have the 2.2 sport in same colour

Awesome car

Have an issue at the mo.. Crunching sound when going over imperfections in the road on passenger side. 2 mechanics have checked the car over but can't find anything wring

Could it be the strut mounts as mentioned

Many thanks

This post is 10 years old so you might not get a response from the OP

There is a bearing in the top of the strut mount, it is possible the bearing has broken or the seat in the mounting cup, it should not be too difficult to find