Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Intermittent Light Problems With 2004 1.8vvti

rickjhns

Hi,

I am having internittent problems with the lights (rear lights, parking lights and also dashboard light) on my Avensis. I have also just blown a parking light. Sometime these lights work fine, but other times they do not. All other lights including the headlights and the brake light work all the time.

I have checked the fuses and the bulbs and they are ok. I have noticed an audible clicking from behind the glove box when switching the lights on. I think this may be a relay. Does anyone know if this could be the cause.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

Sounds like you either have a loose connection or an earth fault on that circuit. Only way to solve this I'm afraid is to trace the circuit through until you come across the fault

Hi,

I am having internittent problems with the lights (rear lights, parking lights and also dashboard light) on my Avensis. I have also just blown a parking light. Sometime these lights work fine, but other times they do not. All other lights including the headlights and the brake light work all the time.

I have checked the fuses and the bulbs and they are ok. I have noticed an audible clicking from behind the glove box when switching the lights on. I think this may be a relay. Does anyone know if this could be the cause.

Thanks

Rick

Hello Rick, if you are ok with circuit diagrams click on this attachment as it might help post-74463-1255600194_thumb.jpg you may be able to trace where the fault lies :thumbsup:

Regards Pete.

Hi,

Thanks

Rick

Hello Rick, if you are ok with circuit diagrams click on this attachment as it might help post-74463-1255600194_thumb.jpg you may be able to trace where the fault lies :thumbsup:

Regards Pete.

Thank you for the replies. The reason I thought it may be a replay rather than a brake light wiring issue is that the loss of lights also affect the low (parking) beam on the front headlamps, and dashboard lighting. In addition, there is a clicking sound when the lights do not work which comes from around the fuse area where I think rekays are located.

Any further opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

Hi,

Thanks

Rick

Regards Pete.

Thank you for the replies. The reason I thought it may be a replay rather than a brake light wiring issue is that the loss of lights also affect the low (parking) beam on the front headlamps, and dashboard lighting. In addition, there is a clicking sound when the lights do not work which comes from around the fuse area where I think rekays are located.

Any further opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

have you had your sindscreen replaced at anytime..

It could be the realy has dry solders.

Thanks for the replies.

Where would I check the eaths for the rear light? I had to replace a rear bulb recently and I know the unit is very hard to access.

As far as I am aware the sidescreen has not been replace.

As an update, I have now notices that the lights seem to work fine if they are switched on slowly, clicking the lights to parking first, and then main beam. But they normally do not work if I quickly switch them on to main beam!

Sounds like the switch may be faulty then. Any other fault would remain no matter how slowly you switched the lights on.

Sounds like the switch may be faulty then. Any other fault would remain no matter how slowly you switched the lights on.

Agree with Kenny1000, sounds like a faulty contact in the lighting switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with Kenny1000, sounds like a faulty contact in the lighting switch.

The problem has now been solved. It was the relay.