Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

3sgte

NZMR2

How can you tell which "revision" of the 3SGTE you have visually. Im unsure which engine I have & if its the original or not.

Not really, no.....all you can go by and is really the only thing that matters is IF you have a AFM (box between the air filter and turbo) you have a Gen 1 or 2, if you have a clear route (basicly just a tube only) all the way from the filter to the turbo you have a Gen III or iv....which is obviously better :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Here are a few of the differences;

- The Charcoal canister was smaller on a rev1 compared to a rev2.

- On a rev1 engine the throttle body tapered slightly on Rev2+ it was straight.

- The shape of the Manifold changed at Rev3+, it looked more like a bottle.

- A rev1/2 car will have 'TOYOTA' written on the cam cover.

- On a rev1/2 car the turbo has 'TOYOTA CT26' down the side of it on a rev3+ car it just has 'TOYOTA'.

- A rev 1/2 car should have an AFM (Air Flow Meter) connected to the air box.

Matt.

How can you tell which "revision" of the 3SGTE you have visually. Im unsure which engine I have & if its the original or not.

Not really, no.....all you can go by and is really the only thing that matters is IF you have a AFM (box between the air filter and turbo) you have a Gen 1 or 2, if you have a clear route (basicly just a tube only) all the way from the filter to the turbo you have a Gen III or iv....which is obviously better :)

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Out of interest what are the differences between the Rev 3 and rev 4?

The GT-Four only had 3 different versions of the 3S-GTE in it.

So to clarify, there are only 3 revisions of the 3sgte but there are 5 revisions of the japanese sw20.

Revision 1 begins about Oct 89

Revision 2, about Jan 92

Revision 3, Oct 93 (SW20-0087386 onwards)

Revision 4, Jun 96

Revision 5, Nov 97 (ends sometime in 2000)

I don't think much changed with the 5 revisions of shape etc, things like indicators and spoilers etc.

Cheers

KiwiMR2

I think the engines did change slightly around rev4/5 but it was to do with emmisions, nothing aesthetic from what I can see.

I would say there were only realy two revisions of the 3SGTE, you have the engine from the rev1/2 cars and the engine from the rev3+ cars. I don't think the changes between rev1 and 2 were significant enough to warrent a new revision of the engine.

On a different note does anyone else find it funny that the 3SGTE is made by Yamaha....I just found it strange.

On a different note does anyone else find it funny that the 3SGTE is made by Yamaha....I just found it strange.

?? ... I thought they made keyboards ?? :D

I think the engines did change slightly around rev4/5 but it was to do with emmisions, nothing aesthetic from what I can see.

I would say there were only realy two revisions of the 3SGTE, you have the engine from the rev1/2 cars and the engine from the rev3+ cars. I don't think the changes between rev1 and 2 were significant enough to warrent a new revision of the engine.

Ah ok so there were only 3 official revisions then.

I know the cylinder head is made by Yamaha - as for the rest of the engine thats Toyota as far as I know. :)

On the UK cars ..

MR2 Mk 2 launched

Apr 1990: New MR2 mid-engined rear-drive Coupes launched in UK: MR2 ('cat', 119 bhp) abd GT and GT T-Bar (Both 158 bhp), all with 5-speed gearbox (Optional 4-speed automatic on 119bhp model), independant suspension, disk brakes and rack and pinion steering.

Equipment: Sunroof (Targa style removable roof on T-Bar), electric windows/mirrors, alloy wheels. T-Ber had leather trim.

Mar 1992 Revised range: New frontal styling, 15" alloy wheels, uprated suspension and brakes. GT and GT-Tbar models now have 154 BHP engine, 'cat' and variable rate PAS.

Mar 1994 Revised models launched in UK with uprated 173 BHP high compression engine, side impact protection beams, improved suspension, ABS, restyled rear spoiler and lamp clustors.

Feb 1996 Limited edition (of 250) '10th Anniversary' GT T-Bar launched in the UK

Aug 1996 Revisions: 168 BHP, low emission engine, heated mirrors, green glass in place of blue, drivers airbag.

No mention of Rev5 in UK literature ..

I was thinking more along the lines of the Caldina version of the 3sgte as the 3rd version, most definitly changes there.

my mistake that was the altezza wasn't it, your on about the RS200z which came with an auto box only, I forgot about that....

Caldina GT-T

ST215, comes in manual or auto etc has direct fire ignition + a few more upgrades of the MR2 3sgte versions.

98caldinagt_whiterear_4395.jpg

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Feature of SW20 Type-IV(1996.7)

sw20-type4-amlax.jpg

SW20 Type-4 at AMLUX Toyota Showroom Ikebukuro, Tokyo

The Type-IV does not have a too big difference with the Type-III. Lamps became cleared lenses, the position of the side marker moved behind the reception desk tire, and the shape rounded.

Even the Type-III equipped normally sports ABS which were the option in the GT-S system. There is a air conditioner, a fog lamp or neither rear spoiler nor ABS in the vehicle for the gymkhana base as usual.

The air bag is equipped normally, and it has become a steering wheel not sporty for a moment. However, it is said that the torque of the low rotation region increased more than Type-IIIs as for engines.

There is finish on the surface of the aluminum wheel about the hair line.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Feature of SW20 Type-V (1997.12.9)

The maximum highlight for model of NA to have been changed to 200PS(7000rpm) of VVT-i in Type-V 3S-GTE of the Turbo engine does not have the change.

The shape of the rear spoiler was changed in the face, and it became the adjustment type of three steps like NISSAN R33 Skyline GTR. When the angle is put, the down force of 50kgf is obtained at 200 km/h. However, because the trunk food has been reinforced as for the amount of the power, its weight became also heavy.

ABS is reported no performance change though seems to have become 3CH control from 4CH control.

The steering wheel becomes the one of three spokes, and has regained sporty. The wheel changed into a new design. However, not being installed excluding a special nut has before neither or the change. Lightening is consequentially done in 10Kg along with the wheel, the steering wheel, and lightening such as ABS. However, because the steering wheel and the wheel are exchanged in motor sports which affect 10kg, it is not so significant actually

Cheers

KiwiMR2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links