Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Strange Smell

igilmore

I have an 06 2.0 Diesel Avensis which has done approx 40K. Last winter I noticed a strange smell which is present for the first 1 - 2 miles following a cold start when the atmospheric temperature is less than say 10 degC. This was accompanied by a drop in mpg from around 50 to around 43. I had the car backwards and forwards to the dealer they serviced the air con, replaced the clutch, repaired an oil leak and finally replaced the injectors. Once this was done, the mpg has returned to around 50 mpg and the smell went.

Recently, now we've had a few cold mornings (I leave for work before 6-00), I've noticed that the smell has returned. The mpg and everything else however is still OK.

The only other thing I can think of is I have tried using Shell V Power diesel a few times and wonder if there is any connection there.

Has anyone else had similar experience ?

Hi,

I don't know what is causing it, but I don't think it will be a change in the fuel. I only use V Power now & I only get better MPG whether for a petrol or diesel car & I have never smelled anything different when using it,

Cheers,

Marv

Depends on what the smell is - I would say bacteria build up in air vents over summer months and the heater now being used on a warmer setting blowing out that smell.

Had this in a Pathfinder (useless veh) and nissan used to just use some sort of stink bomb to as such hide the smell .

As previously mentioned the smell could be from the air conditioning. You can buy a product from Halfords which, from other forums, seems to be effective. Basically it's a sort of smoke bomb type thing which you set off in the car with the air con set to recirc, and leave for 10 mins or so. It might be worth a try as a cheap fix.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links