Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aftermarket Stereo

MattIQ

Has anyone been brave enough to install an aftermarket car stereo in their IQ yet?

The standard CD/MP3 is all well & good, but I'm thinking that it could be better. I don't know how good the SatNav/audio system is.

In order to put an aftermarket stereo in, you'd have to rip out the standard stuff and get hold of the dashboard trim for SatNav - which would give you a double-din sized hole to play with.

I'm sure you'd need the vertical airbag/seatbelt indicator unit too.

Parts-King has looked into this and reckons they'd be around the £150 mark for both.

Then you'd have to get a ISO wiring harness convertor & maybe another one so you could use the steering-wheel buttons too.

I'd also be tempted to replace the Speakers and maybe get an under-seat subwoofer at the same time :)

Any thoughts or additonal knowledge on this are welcomed.

Matt

Everything is possible, but you need a very ceative mind and it's a load of work. Just upgrade Speakers and install a sub is most common and simple.

I've only builded in a subwoofer and I'm satisfied with the sound.

I'm very pleased with the sound quality of my IQ, which has the standard (not sat nav) CD/Radio and the JBL premium sound upgrade. My experience suggests there's nothing much wrong with the head unit, so I'd advise replacing the Speakers and adding additional amplication before replacing the head unit.

I'm very pleased with the sound quality of my IQ, which has the standard (not sat nav) CD/Radio and the JBL premium sound upgrade. My experience suggests there's nothing much wrong with the head unit, so I'd advise replacing the speakers and adding additional amplication before replacing the head unit.

+1

I think if you get rid offf vibrations in the doors you can just change to a kind of Speakers that fits well with the music you listen to. But i have tns 500 satnav, don't know how sounds the standard cd player.

i just boosted up my iq a little 2 pairs of beyma 2way Speakers avibe 4 chanel hybridic 1000watts amp and a earthquake 12 inch sealded small(very small )enclosure powered by a rockford 1channel 250 watts amp it sounds good !!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
I'm very pleased with the sound quality of my IQ, which has the standard (not sat nav) CD/Radio and the JBL premium sound upgrade. My experience suggests there's nothing much wrong with the head unit, so I'd advise replacing the speakers and adding additional amplication before replacing the head unit.

JBL premium sound upgrade upgrade? That wasn't on the list when I ordered mine....

It should have been. I think it's around the £500 mark when ordering/specifying your IQ.

If you'd like it fitting after you've taken delivery then you can add on another £500 for dealer fitting (unless you do it yourself).

The kit contains 6 uprated JBL Speakers, a 330W Amplifer mounted under the drivers seat and some new wiring.

I'm considering ordering just the actual JBL Speakers, then using my own amp & head unit, but this is just in "the idea / can I afford it" phase at the moment.

My Dealer said it is an 'accessory' , so no probs there.....

I would have to hear the upgrade to judge whether it is worth the money.....