Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Altezza's ... Thoughts? (right Group?)

Leozack

I didn't know what group to post in so I thought I'd stick it here.

I've currently got a 2001 avensis CDX, so used to the leather life and exec extras. However my family sometimes use it so it had to be an auto.

I'm now contemplating buying something a bit more ... rawr ... and a bit less "hey taxi!".

I've been looking at Altezza's over the summer since they're very reasonable as most are <5K, though some of them look more bland than others, depending on spoiler/bodykit (particularly the front).

I'm not sure if I'm going to go for one, and if it's going to replace my current car, or be an addition to it (I've no idea how much cash a year it'd cost to have 2 cars instead of 1, I've never done it). Part of me thinks if you're getting a 2nd car, make it non-practical and sporty lol, like an MR2/Supra/Celica. But definately if it replaces my avensis it'd have to be as practical as an Altezza.

But what exactly are they like to own/drive? Are they infact nonpractical? Are they going to drink petrol, make lots of noise, get into lots more traffic light drags and so on? (part of what I love about my avensis is I'm very stealth, and without a custom number plate people have no reason so suspect anything or take note of me if I speed past).

I dunno - it'd just be good to hear what you guys think is all, since you're such knowledgable chaps ;) And especially as a lot of you juggle cars with familes and practicalities aswell as sporting toys when you can afford them!

I am thinking of getting an altezza to replace my tsport corolla. Have read alot about them and have managed to get a run in one as a passenger. Great car! I would like to know about insurance and what group they are.

• 1 month later...

I think they are group 15, i too have been looking at them over the last month or so and considering chopping in my T-Sport.

Would like a drive of one as well, both the 5sp Auto and 6sp Manual, nice motors ....

• 2 months later...

well i'm not sure about altezza's but my husbands lexus IS200 drinks petrol, it's very expensive to fuel. it is a gorgeous car to drive and has alot of luxury where as an altezza is a bit more racier, you can get them super charged too.

Your MR2 is a beautiful car, I can see why you were upset!

Now that I have reminded you and made you feel worse, (sorry!), I think the Altezzas are gorgeous looking cars, and a supercharger would just be savage! :lol:

• 4 months later...

Well I've had my Altezza for just over a month now... So here are some thoughts from a new owner...

I'm loving it! Admittedly it is slightly modified from standard (supercharger, exhaust, quick shift system, coilovers) so unsure how it drives in comparison to a stock Altezza. But in terms of fuel usage, its about the same as my previous car (VW Golf GTI Mk3) and I've had from between 500-600 km (310-370 miles) out of a tank. I'd probably have had more out of it as I try to keep it around 3000rpm but sometimes my right foot gets the better of me!

Unfortunately the mods meant I paid more for insurance - I was with elephant and they quoted me about £350 when they (and I) though it was a standard model (I'm 31, 11 years NCB, 1xSP30, parked on road, Cat1 alarm/immob) but as soon as I mentioned the aftermarket supercharger they ran a mile so got it through Sky at £650 in the end.

I use it as my daily driver, but do have a second car - a Mazda RX-7 Gen 2 convertible that is on a classic insurance policy (limited mileage, garaged, etc) and only comes out in the summer (insurance on that is about £170 a year).

Now the bad points... The speedo is in km/h and the top speed is limited to 180 km/h (110mph) by Japanese law. Both of these are fixable by getting it delimited and putting in a Lexus IS200 speedo (or a later model >02 Altezza speedo) which show mph. Also because mine is lowered I now try and avoid all roads with speed bumps... Grrr!

As you probably already know a lot of the parts are interchangeable with Lexus IS200 parts (as they are practically the same car apart from the engine). The previous owner of mine had put in the leather interior from a Lexus (as leather isn't very popular as an option in Japan).

Oh and one of my excuses for getting it in the first place is BECAUSE its practical - *look its got four doors and a boot!* I really wanted something Japanese and rear wheel drive and had been looking for one for a good six months before the right one came up!

Urm not had any drag races so far! Hope thats answers some of your queries but any more let me know and I'll see how I do!