Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reduced Vision - Rear-view Mirror Placement

Pam S

I'm finding that the rear-view mirror is in EXACTLY the wrong place for me. It is slap bang in the middle of my line of sight so that when approaching a roundabout or motorway sliproad, vehicles approaching from the left are invariably hidden behind this wretched mirror. I have to move my head back and forth to look around the obstruction.

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone been able to remove and reposition the mirror?

Pam S

I'm finding that the rear-view mirror is in EXACTLY the wrong place for me. It is slap bang in the middle of my line of sight so that when approaching a roundabout or motorway sliproad, vehicles approaching from the left are invariably hidden behind this wretched mirror. I have to move my head back and forth to look around the obstruction.

Does anyone else have this problem? Has anyone been able to remove and reposition the mirror?

Pam S

Hi Pam

I have got the LED tech pack which has the auto dimming mirror. Not sure about the ordinary mirror but on my generation 2 there was plenty of adjustment to lift the mirror further up to to the top of the windscreeen. I think it is not possible to move the mirror unless you take it off and buy an accessory rear view mirror and put it where you want or alternatively have you tried raising or lowering the drivers seat.

Stompe

:thumbsup:

Pam S

I know what you mean and had a similar problem with a Ford Cougar I owned. That was in a worse place than the Prius for being a blind spot. I thought it was because I am fairly tall (5'11'')

I think it is not possible to move the mirror unless you take it off and buy an accessory rear view mirror and put it where you want or alternatively have you tried raising or lowering the drivers seat.

I think the driver's seat is quite perfectly positioned for me and the adjustment up or down would have to be quite large for the mirror not to be in the way. Hubby is planning to ask the Toyota dealer's advice before we wrench the blessed thing off!

Pam S

I think it is not possible to move the mirror unless you take it off and buy an accessory rear view mirror and put it where you want or alternatively have you tried raising or lowering the drivers seat.

I think the driver's seat is quite perfectly positioned for me and the adjustment up or down would have to be quite large for the mirror not to be in the way. Hubby is planning to ask the Toyota dealer's advice before we wrench the blessed thing off!

Pam S

Quite a few Americans are complaining about the rear view mirror placement over on Prius Chat. Some of them have rotated the mirror through 180o and that has helped by making the mirror a little bit higher. Quite how it would look with the ant-dazzle lever at the top I don't know, but it may be a temporary solution for you. :)

Quite a few Americans are complaining about the rear view mirror placement over on Prius Chat. Some of them have rotated the mirror through 180o and that has helped by making the mirror a little bit higher. Quite how it would look with the ant-dazzle lever at the top I don't know, but it may be a temporary solution for you. :)

Many thanks - worked a charm. Will worry about the anti-dazzle when I have to!

Cheers

Many thanks - worked a charm. Will worry about the anti-dazzle when I have to!

Cheers

The mirror has two ball and socket joints, one that enables adjustment of the height of the mirror and one to adjust the viewing angle. Have you made sure that the height adjustment has been properly set?

The mirror has two ball and socket joints, one that enables adjustment of the height of the mirror and one to adjust the viewing angle. Have you made sure that the height adjustment has been properly set?

Yes, we had sussed that - but even at its highest point the mirror gets in the way (for me anyway). But I think the new set up is probably livable-with.

Thanks everyone

Pam S

• 5 years later...

As stated, the mirror is in entirely the wrong place and causes a blind spot in my "11 o'clock" position. Toyota GB sent me a snotty reply to my question as to why there hadn't been a recall on this with the response: "Well, you're the only one who has complained. We've never had any others. Adjust your seat downwards and that should solve the problem".

My wife couldn't drive our car is I did this, but I tried it anyway, after which I was left with the feeling that I was sitting in a sports seat (and STILL I couldn't see clearly!).

Someone (on the PriusChat forum) has suggested that the mirror can be adjusted by revolving it and turning it upwards, and from the picture example, it certainly seems to work. However, it seems this facility is only available on certain models, and probably export at that.

My TSpirit has a number of what I feel are design faults: the placement of the interior mirror is just one of them.

As the Prius is manufactured in Japan, all UK market Prius models will be 'export'.

My mistake. I was reading a US-based forum (PriusChat) and a user on there suggested a way of altering the height of the rear view mirror - how it seems this only works on US cars.

Is it just me, or do they drive on the other side of the road in Scotland ?

When I join a motorway from the slip road or approach a roundabout, traffic is approaching on my right not my left.

• 2 weeks later...

My mistake. I was reading a US-based forum (PriusChat) and a user on there suggested a way of altering the height of the rear view mirror - how it seems this only works on US cars.

Works on my UK gen3 prius.

My mirror is upside down so I can use it.

It is way too low down when the right way up.

Toyota GB sent me a snotty reply to my question as to why there hadn't been a recall on this with the response: "Well, you're the only one who has complained. We've never had any others. Adjust your seat downwards and that should solve the problem".

Standard response!!